Game 2. GM:SidneyKidney. Winner: connect4 (England)

Standard map variant where each country sets their own success criteria. Created by SidneyKidney. GM: SidneyKidney. Winner: connect4

Re: Alternate Agenda: Game 2- Game complete!

Postby SidneyKidney » 30 Sep 2010, 08:27

I'm presuming everyone is busy writing awesome AARs given that there hasnt even been a single 'good game'. Either that or everyone thinks the game is mince.
Helpful signature links.

That useful tool for testing out moves? Thats JDip.

Want to learn how to be an evil overlord? Check it out here.
SidneyKidney

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1095)
All-game rating: (1097)
Timezone: GMT

Postby vaderi » 01 Oct 2010, 02:43

I want to hear an AAR for this game! looking over the game it looks awesome and completely confused what were you guys thinking?
To a light mech, every part of the city is Skid Row.

I am ALIVE!!!!!!!
vaderi

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (982)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby SidneyKidney » 01 Oct 2010, 08:35

That makes two of us vaderi. Without feedback I wont know if this game is worth running again. :?
Helpful signature links.

SidneyKidney

Postby Caladin » 01 Oct 2010, 10:23

Well, if you do you already have one player (ie me :lol:)
Caladin

Standard rating: (973)
All-game rating: (1300)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby connect4 » 01 Oct 2010, 15:23

Well I wanted to do a more thorough AAR, but I'm not going to have time this weekend, so I'll make a short one here.

First of all, thanks to SK for putting this game together. It was actually quite fun on my end, and I was glad to see things work well. Surprisingly, there wasn't much communication in the game past the first two years, so it was a semi-gunboat game with a little bit of talking where needed).

With the expansionist agenda, I basically decided to play the game as if it was a normal game. The prime reason for this was that I couldn't influence the eastern sphere much, and in the west I probably would only be able to stop one of my opponent's agenda. So I worked with Germany in the first year to go after France. Year two, for some weird reason Russia decided that he didn't want to stay peaceful and take Norway. Around the same time, Germany decided that he felt like taking Belgium (I could be misremembering, but I don't have access to the history at the moment). Fortunately, around then is when BamonHam (former France) decided to start his NMRing; it also didn't help that I NMR'ed a build phase that fell on a weekend at one point. I was able to use this to take back Scandinavia, and then to start moving on Germany. Fortunately, there wasn't much resistance, and so I was able to keep gaining SC's at a rate of 5 every two years. This led to a quicker game end than normal, but as I'd gained Tunis and had a pretty defendable position, the end would have come in a year or two game-time.

Thanks again to everyone for the game, and I hope to see a redo of this version. I'm very interested to hear how the agendas affected other players; like I said, my best bet was to play a normal (possibly aggressive) game.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby Kian » 01 Oct 2010, 16:04

I was playing Russia with the alternate agenda of ensuring Austria kept all of his home units.

Now hereś the problem... as Russia ANY positioning to directly help Austria either screams anti-Austrian aggression (try selling ¨I am in Galicia for your own good¨"to the powers that be in Vienna) or hit Turkey so hard that he is bound to look West for builds.

If I pretended to do the Jug - how would I explain my allergy to anything pink?

So I have to admit I pt my head down - kept the North busy to make sure Germany had no time to look South East, teased the Turk North and watched with detached satisfaction as Turkey and Austria cosied up in an alliance.

Given my alternate agenda was intact through all of this I paid little heed to developing Russia´s own agenda. I could hunker down and knew that I could fend off enough aggression to maintain 3 centres pretty easily.

I did enjoy the game - but record the following personal observations.

I felt my alternate agenda was a bit divorced from my traditional areas of operation - I had NO chance of protecting him from Italian aggression and not much chance of protecting him from Turkish aggression.

Maybe I am biased because I was one of them but I think a case could be made that with 5 ´aggressive´ agendas and only two passive or protect agendas a case could be made for that relationship (pacifist and protector) to be known to each - maybe make it a ´joint´ objective - since to win the protector NEEDS his protectorate to remain intact this in essence guarantees a ´draw´ anyway.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks to all.
"Tell the truth, and so puzzle and confound your adversaries. ” Sir Henry Wotton

"I'm better pleas'd to make one more,
Than be the death o' twenty." Lines on War - Rabbie Burns
Kian

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby SidneyKidney » 01 Oct 2010, 17:51

Thank you both for your feedback and input. Out of interest- did you tell anyone what your agenda was? Did you tell them a lie? Did you refrain saying anything about it?

Kian- My thinking had been a R/A alliance against Turkey, assuming with Turkeys agenda he would seek you as an ally and make straight for Austria. Why he went for Sevastopol can only explained by him.
Helpful signature links.

SidneyKidney

Postby Kian » 01 Oct 2010, 18:09

:oops:

After MONTHS of playing I just realised I conflated the Peaceful Co-Existence agenda and the Pacifist agenda... in this thread you described 10 agendas and of course only used 7... I assumed from the start that Austria as not allowed by his agenda to take any foreign SCś - which is why I did not go got an R/A

How stupid do I feel?

I still think that the two non-aggressive agendas could work as a partnership though...
"Tell the truth, and so puzzle and confound your adversaries. ” Sir Henry Wotton

"I'm better pleas'd to make one more,
Than be the death o' twenty." Lines on War - Rabbie Burns
Kian

Postby connect4 » 01 Oct 2010, 18:15

SidneyKidney wrote:Thank you both for your feedback and input. Out of interest- did you tell anyone what your agenda was? Did you tell them a lie? Did you refrain saying anything about it?

In my case I really didn't say anything; however, again this was partially due to the lack of comms from my neighbors; Bam went AWOL, and Germany had RL issues that minimized communication. So there wasn't a lot that came up. On the plus side, the other agendas on the other side of the board definitely helped me in the end (I didn't know anyone's or tell anyone's, but clearly they never tried to push across the stalemate line which made life easier).
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby noobii » 12 Oct 2010, 07:22

I played turkey in this fine game,
My talks were very limited as turkey, i tend to only talk to R.A.I
I thought pretty much by russia's opening message he was gonna go for a stab on me, so i tried a new swing of moves, as you see i moved my fleet to armenia in the spring, making russia think i'd go for seva in the fall. With this I knew the black sea would be mine and he wouldn't be capable of building a fleet in sev to be a thorn in my back, I chose austria as an ally so i didn't have to worry about a stab in my back, its hard to crack turkey without having fleets around, I played italy along with austria in the greece area, but the switch of austrias ruined my game. The former austria was a sucker, QoH has played me in the past and knows my lies ;) Even with her stab i resumed to push into austria, but pesky italy did NOT help. When QoH stabbed I had planned a convoy into italy if it had been successful italy would have fallen and i would have had austria by the balls.
But in the end good game. I'm ready for the next one.
noobii

PreviousNext

Return to Game 2