Game 2. GM:SidneyKidney. Winner: connect4 (England)

Standard map variant where each country sets their own success criteria. Created by SidneyKidney. GM: SidneyKidney. Winner: connect4

Re: Alternate Agenda: Game 2- signups complete, game starting

Postby SidneyKidney » 09 Aug 2010, 18:15

OK done and done. Bear in mind though that the decision is still to be made as to whether or not to even continue, but your presence in that sub place is greatly appreciated.
Helpful signature links.

That useful tool for testing out moves? Thats JDip.

Want to learn how to be an evil overlord? Check it out here.
SidneyKidney

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1095)
All-game rating: (1097)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Kian » 09 Aug 2010, 18:17

I vote continue with QoH... and I hope he joins soon so he does not miss his retreat :)
"Tell the truth, and so puzzle and confound your adversaries. ” Sir Henry Wotton

"I'm better pleas'd to make one more,
Than be the death o' twenty." Lines on War - Rabbie Burns
Kian

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby iShine » 09 Aug 2010, 18:31

Kian wrote:I vote continue with QoH... and I hope he joins soon so he does not miss his retreat :)

Ditto! :)
WOODCHUCKS, QUIT CHUCKIN' MY WOOD!
iShine

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby noobii » 09 Aug 2010, 18:41

I'm down to resume, lets tear it up.
noobii

Postby SidneyKidney » 05 Sep 2010, 18:58

BamOnHam has left as France. However he only has 2 units remaining and of them 1 SC. The game requires a password to join so nobody can join that way. I am inclined to just leave France as a country in anarchy. Acting as units getting in thte way. Should be interesting. If you all disagree please let me know.
Helpful signature links.

SidneyKidney

Postby iShine » 06 Sep 2010, 22:31

SidneyKidney wrote:BamOnHam has left as France. However he only has 2 units remaining and of them 1 SC. The game requires a password to join so nobody can join that way. I am inclined to just leave France as a country in anarchy. Acting as units getting in thte way. Should be interesting. If you all disagree please let me know.

No, now anybody can join. Passwords on "Private" games go null when somebody surrenders, therefore anybody can pick it up now.
WOODCHUCKS, QUIT CHUCKIN' MY WOOD!
iShine

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby SidneyKidney » 09 Sep 2010, 00:57

So I see we have a new France? Well since France is so close to death i'm happy for Crisu to continue as France but he MUST be aware of his Agenda, he MUST be aware of the rules of the variant (direct him to this thread please) and he MUST PM me to acknowledge this. Please put this message in the shoutbox. Thank you :)
Helpful signature links.

SidneyKidney

Postby SidneyKidney » 09 Sep 2010, 01:00

Also; Happy Birthday iShine 8-)
Helpful signature links.

SidneyKidney

Postby SidneyKidney » 27 Sep 2010, 12:25

The game has been completed! I am currently evaluating the moves and will announce the winner and explain why in due course. I will also explain what everybodys alternate agendas were and the reasoning behind them. Please announce the end of game in the shoutbox of the game. I suggest that given that E/T have the most SCs that the draw is proposed and agreed to- it is a norank game after all. If you want to continue it thats up to you guys but the solo agenda has been achieved.

All will be revealed soon. PLEASE write an AAR and review the game for me. Thanks!
Helpful signature links.

SidneyKidney

Re: Alternate Agenda: Game 2- Game complete!

Postby SidneyKidney » 27 Sep 2010, 19:23

Well congratulations to all of you for a game well fought. It was good fun watching it and reading the shoutbox was interesting. At some points it was worrying that somebody would rush to achieve their agenda immediately. However it turned out to not be the case. So here are everybodys alternate agendas. I will then go on to write up my thinking behind giving everybody what agenda they got, reveal who won and why.

RUSSIA: PROTECT THE PACIFIST
Russia would win if the Austria did not lose any home supply centres for 4 full years. He could not do so by taking one of the Austrias centres. Austria was not told that he was the one being protected. Russia nearly achieved this goal early on because 1901 and 1902 saw Austria keeping all his home SCs. This made me nervous but in Spring 1904 Italy took Trieste. This could have badly affected Russian chances but in Fall Italy was out of Trieste so the game continued.

AUSTRIA: PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE AGENDA
Austria would have won if no home territory was occupied by a foreign power for 4 consecutive full game years. Since in Spring 1904 Italy took Trieste he would have been in alot of trouble but in Fall Italy vacated and the game continued.

ITALY: OUTLAST AGENDA
Italy had to outlast Austria, Russia and France. This saw him attacking Austria in 1903, ruining Austrian chances of an early agenda victory.

TURKEY: AGGRESSOR AGENDA
Turkey would have won if he had eliminated Austria and occupied all of his home SCs (and his own home SCs) in any 4 game years. Since Austria was always alive throughout the game and always held at least one of his own home SCs, this was never achieved.

FRANCE: TERRITORY GRAB
France was charged with capturing 5 specific named territories and hold them for 2 consecutive game years. The territories he had to take and hold were Spain, Portugal, Liverpool, London and Rome. Whilst he briefly held Liverpool, this agenda may have been a leap too far.

GERMANY: SEA POWER
Germany had to own and occupy 8 coastal SCs. He surprised me on this one as at one point he held 5, though it was shortlived.

ENGLAND: EXPANSIONIST AGENDA
England had to grow by 5 supply centres in any 2 CONSECUTIVE game years (no matter from what base). He nearly did this early on but could only manage 4 in 2 game years.

My vision from the outset centred around Austria in a way. Her path seemed simple enough in a way since she had a readymade ally in Russia (though she didnt know it). However Italy and Turkey were I reasoned going to be all out to get him. Indeed Italy appeared to do that early on and as I have said stopped the game ending before it had begun. But Turkey seemed to think that the best way forward was to attack Russia. This seemed to put an interesting twist on the game.

In the west I foresaw France and England going all out against each other from the start and perhaps Germany might reap the naval rewards by siding with one of them. This never really saw fruition but it was good to watch.

By 1904 The game could have ended. However as I said to all of you 2 countries had met the requirements for their agenda- Russia and Austria. Austria had held his home SCs for 4 consecutive years and Russia had seen this happen too while he himself was still alive. This had been my concern to begin with. As you all know I decided to allow the game to continue since Turkey was attacking Russia. As soon as Turkey had demolished Russia Austria would have won.

This decision actually saw the game continue for much longer. Austria held all her home SCs until as late as 1910! Had Turkey continued to attack north Austria would have won. However Turkeys agenda meant he was more inclined to head west. This killed of both Russian and Austrian agendas once more and the game was thrown open once more as I had expected.

In the west things had got a bit crazy. Russian and Turkish fleets were landing on French and German soil. I was beginning to wonder if anybody was going to abandon their agenda and just go for the solo. France put up a fair fight but by the time Turkey had landed in Marseille it spelt game over for her really. Germany had reached 5 coastal SCs at one point and with the right alliance could have achieved his agenda (Russia was busy in the south and France could have been a ready-made ally. Austria was not interested in heading north) however this was never to be.

And so after the near miss of a Russian or Austrian win it fell to connect4- England- to claim the prize as victor. Here is how it broke down for him:

1901+1902: 2 builds total
1902+1903: 0 builds total
1903+1904: 0 builds total
1904+1905: 0 builds total
1905+1906: 0 builds total
1906+1907: 2 builds total
1907+1908: 4 builds total (so close!)
1908+1909: 5 builds total- WINNER!!

But wait a minute! I hear you cry. The game continued until 1911 before you said anything! Yes you are right and here is my confession. At that point I had a few things going on in real life and I had got slightly distracted from the game. My humblest apologies. For what its worth England could not have won outright at that point anyway since both Austria and Russia had also completed their agendas. And so the game continued.

The game would have ended with one of those three countries winning if:

1. England and Russia were eliminated without Austria losing a home SC: Austria would have won.\
2. England eliminated with Russia going on to gain 18SCs total while Austria holding at least one of his home SCs: Russia wins
3. Austria loses a home SC- this would nullify both Russian and Austrian agendas: England wins.

In the end this third scenario was achieved when Turkey took Budapest. England continued to go from strength to strength, at one point gaining 6SCs in 2 years! As a result I am pleased to announce that connect4 is the winner of the second Alternate Agenda game. Congratulations.

Please take the time to offer an AAR and review the game for me. This is the first full real time this variant has been completed and any constructive criticism is helpful for me. I hope you enjoyed the game.

SidneyKidney.
Helpful signature links.

SidneyKidney

PreviousNext

Return to Game 2