Tournament?

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Tournament?

Postby Uncle Monty » 09 Jul 2008, 20:43

This sort of ties in to Dar Krum's discussion below about rankings.
I'd like to see some sort of periodic tournament style league or knockout competition on the site. I think we are pretty much all agreed that the current ranking system is flawed (although fixable IMHO). How about a system of 7 special "heats" that are games that can only have one winner and feed into a "final" with one overall winner. Each game would have to have only one winner but that can be arranged. We could of course organise this informally amongst ourselves on the forum if we could find enough players, but I think if there were some way to officially put oneself forward through the main site we would be likely to have a better response. There are, after all, currently 1366 active players on the site. I think enough of them would be interested.

The concept would be similar to many bridge clubs and the like with either the knockout winner or league champion getting some recognition within this little community.

I for one would attach much greater kudos to this than the current rankings.

What do you think?
Uncle Monty

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Tournament?

Postby Samarkand » 09 Jul 2008, 20:59

Somebody pointed out it might not be possible to reach a solo victory in a game. My belief is also that you can't lose all you chances just because you lost one game. If there are tournaments I suggest a 3 or 4 rounds of games. Each will provide points and the one with the highest points win. Or after those rounds, a top table can be formed for the final game with the 7 highest-point players so far. The winner wins the tournament and if it is a draw - the one with the highest points from the first rounds. This tournament is more fair and can take a long time. Thus, more tensions and interesting games to keep us busy for a while.
On that day we’ll say to Hell: “Have you had enough?”
And Hell will answer: “Is there more?”

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Eat that, Edi Birsan :)
Samarkand

Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Uncle Monty » 09 Jul 2008, 21:08

Yes, I like that. Whilst it would take longer to run, it would take account of the differing difficulties of playing the countries. It is much harder to win as Italy than as Russia or France for example.
Uncle Monty

Postby Diplomat » 09 Jul 2008, 21:30

Check out my post from a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=413

There was not much interest at that time but it could be attempted again.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Tommy4ever » 09 Jul 2008, 21:51

You could just have several players play a set number of games with other players competing and as previously suggested count up the points. Then the top 7 players go into the final game (that encourages solos but doesn't force them) and then in the final you could have 2 winners or three or whatever.
Tommy4ever

Postby Samarkand » 09 Jul 2008, 22:02

The beauty of the proposed 3-4-round qualification and a top table is that we can have as many players involved as are willing to show up. We make several passworded tournament games and people can get passwords randomly to one of the table with random country distribution. When they are more players we make another game. After the round ends somebody punches the numbers in a spreadsheet and starts the second round in the same way - set up the games and distribute the password. When all rounds are done, we get the top players to run for the win.

For organization we will need:
1 person to punch the numbers in
1 person to create the games and distribute the passwords

They only have some work to do between rounds.

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Samarkand

Postby Samarkand » 09 Jul 2008, 22:13

Actually there is a way for random distribution of players to games without the need of a person doing it. We can, say, write on the spreadsheet prior to the start of the tournament that on Table 1 Round 2 will play players in positions 1, 6, 10, 15, 23, 27 and 34, for example On table 2 round 2 will be plaer in position 2, 7, 13, 16, 24, 26, etc. Totally random. When the results come from the first round you will already know where you play and with whom. So the organizers just distribute the passwords.

Samarkand

Postby Spitfire » 09 Jul 2008, 23:11

Cautiously interested...
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Postby Diplomat » 09 Jul 2008, 23:20

I am for this idea and would assist in setting it up if we can get 49 players to do it.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Samarkand » 09 Jul 2008, 23:21

I am actually interested in organizing an experimental tournament if we can get 14 players (I am sure we can). Two tables, 2 or 3 rounds, password. If you surrender you're out of the tournement and from any future tournaments. A top table of the top seven players. The details (order time, public/anonymous/, rank/norank) are subject of discussion. If the experiment works we can make a much bigger tournamet in the future. If it doesn't work we'll have several good games. It's all win-win.

Are interested? If yes, any suggestions about the "details" mentioned above?

Samarkand

Next

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN