Tournament Tables 2-3-4

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tournament Tables 2-3-4

Postby Martz » 18 Jul 2009, 17:11

Tournament Runners-Up: Table 2

Tournament Runners-Up: Table 2 AAR. My first written AAR from the view of Martz (England)

ENGLAND
(Martz) WINNER
13 centers

FRANCE
(Yorkshireman)
0 centers

ITALY
(superhik) WINNER
9 centers

GERMANY
(GruGloG)
0 centers

AUSTRIA
(Dar Krum)
0 centers

TURKEY
(sroca) WINNER
12 centers

RUSSIA
(surrendered)
0 centers

1901: I was on a little vacation to visit family when the game started so there was quite a lack of communication from me. I received a message from France suggesting we form a western triple alliance. Germany agreed, but there wasn’t much communication after that. I opened quite strongly on Russia pushing myself into the Barrents Sea and convoying an army to Norway hoping that the only people I’ve had communication with so far (France mostly and Germany) would take an alliance with me seriously. France opened in the spring for a perfect assault on the Mediterranean but missed his orders in the fall; Germany’s opening moves were extremely neutral picking up Holland and Denmark but not showing any aggression towards Russia, Austria or even making a claim for Sweden. I sent a message to both France and Germany analysing the year and the future we could have but I attempted to get a back-up more stable alliance with France in case Germany did not show more commitment to a western triple alliance than he had done so far.

1902: The builds at the end of 1901 surprised me, France built a fleet in Brest even though Italy had headed west and Germany built a fleet. It was clear that they’ve decided to attack me even though there were signs of a triple alliance between Italy, Austria and Turkey. Noticing that I was to be attacked I went on the defensive playing a couple of good bounces, by the end of the year I had actually stolen Holland from Germany and gained Sweden, I was quite impressed by my defensive moves considering how far from home I was and the gains I had made, however I had hostile fleets in the Irish Sea, English Channel and the North Sea. Italy, who moved away from France in the spring towards Austria was back on France’s tail by the fall. Austria and Turkey had made good advances through a semi-active Russia and were ready to launch an attack on Germany. At the end of the year I contacted both France and Germany explaining that their stab had earned them nothing, I was now stronger and pointed out the alliance which had now built up between Italy, Austria and Turkey and what was now going to most likely happen to their countries in a lengthy message. I offered them back into a triple alliance with me on the chance that they might understand the board from my view and the view from the triple alliance coming from the south. I was surprised to see how quickly they agreed with me and were ready to commit straight back into an alliance and waited to see what the next spring would bring.

1903: After the spring orders it was clear that Germany and France had decided to work with me again since both of them had showed no aggression towards me and concentrated on turning their attention towards Italy and Austria who were now occupying every province on their borders. I was surrounded with multiple options to take. Using my newly built fleets I supported myself into the North Sea and made a strategic move by placing my army in Finland to support St. Petersburg to hold, halting Turkey’s advance. During this year (remember I was on vacation so far so time for writing messages was short) I made good contact with Italy and Austria, who from their view could most probably only see me as fighting back against France and Germany. The communication with Italy and Austria was quite good and I saw the possibility of a working relation with them, Turkey however decided to not respond to me, I feel this was perhaps quite a mistake since I was the one blocking his advance into St. Petersburg now but he did not wish to discuss the matter. By the fall Germany was moreless bought to his knees by Austria and Italy gaining 2 home centers, I moved by fleet to Belgium and surprisingly kept Holland while protecting Sweden and was now in a good position to dictate the north and advance. From the conversations I had with Italy and Austria it appeared to me that Italy reluctantly moved to France and that Austria and Turkey were dictating the alliance. I figured out that this alliance was most likely not going to stay loyal, especially since Turkey being blocked by me at St. Petersburg and probably halted by DMZ’s in the Mediterranean, had nowhere to advance and had nothing to do than to hold still.

1904: During this year I made some nice advances into the Baltic Sea and convoyed 2 armies across to the main-land which were now in place at Ruhr and Belgium to be used more defensively against Italy and Austria than offensively against France and Germany. Germany was aware of my intentions and I was making good communications with France again. I was also in good communication with Italy and a little with Austria, excluding Turkey, who I had little to do with, I was now communicating well with everyone and in a position not to be attacked.

1905: Now things started to happen and become more clear. I was working well around France, who still considered me as a friend and gave me a position in the Mid-Atlantic Ocean to help protect himself against Italy. Austria, who was now occupying Germany was blocked by my armies convoyed over made attempts to gain Ruhr and Holland from me but was not in luck, he did however hint heavily in his conversations with me that he was ready to stab Italy and considering his moves into Albania, Trieste and Tyrolia I thought that invasion was ready for that year, but it never happened. Italy was fully aware of it, but did not turn back. At the end of the year I received a message from Turkey asking me if I would continue to support St. Petersburg to hold so he couldn’t advance, I believed this signalled that he’d consider stabbing his Austrian neighbour, now I thought that At least 1, maybe 2 stabs were coming and I was in a lovely position ready to advance from it.

1906: In this year came the stab from Turkey, a beautiful move into Austria. Austria, failing to make any advance through me into the lowlands and Ruhr was caught completely unaware and lost 4 centres. I made a deal with Italy to support him into the French controlled Portugal if moved back East to confront Turkey who had bursted through Austria ready to hit the Ionian Sea and the Italian centres, he agreed and the relationship I had built up with Italy in the previous 3 years was now in play as an alliance as I broke an alliance with France to show my commitment.

1907: In a deal with Italy we split France’s 2 remaining centers 1 each and Italy committing to the new alliance made with me sailed back east. I made two convoys to get a newly built fleet to Livonia by the end of the year and pushed my army up to Kiel. At this point Turkey was the strongest, but no match for myself and Italy combined and I had the best defensive position, I was very happy with my position on the board and believed I was looking at a 2-way draw at the very least.

1908: This year was a real surprise, Italy decided to change his direction again and headed towards me in the fall. The way I see it was that Italy wasn’t able to make any real damage on me and even if he did it would take many years and that this new decision was a huge mistake. I’m still not quite sure what made Italy decide on this stab but I believe it to be either excellent diplomacy from Turkey’s side or just a poor decision from Italy, anyway, after a lengthy message to Italy he must have realised this and proposed a 3-way draw between me, himself and Turkey.

1909: Turkey, to my surprise accepted the draw, I wasn’t expecting this since if Italy did move away from his borders Turkey could have really been able to get to around 17, maybe more centers and gained a solo or 2-way draw with me. This year for me was just about seeing if Italy would move back east towards Turkey, he didn’t, but I gained 3 more centers bringing me to 13 which was the highest in the game before accepting the draw.
Martz

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1491
All-game rating: 1946
Timezone: GMT

Postby sroca » 19 Jul 2009, 15:42

Basically I wasn't going to be here to continue the game and I didn't want to upset Italy by not taking the draw so I accepted. We could have gone for a two-way which is what I wanted ever since a turn or two after my stab on Austria but as you have pointed out you and him were talking and working together there for a bit.

A Gascony convoy into Liverpool and a few more years and you would have been gone.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Martz » 20 Jul 2009, 15:56

Keep in mind I just gained 3 builds. ;) It would have taken A LOT more years.
Martz

Standard rating: 1491
All-game rating: 1946
Timezone: GMT

Postby sroca » 20 Jul 2009, 16:39

Martz wrote:Keep in mind I just gained 3 builds. ;) It would have taken A LOT more years.

Ah. Forgot about that. That's probably what Italy was seeing when he proposed the draw. It would have been too long and drawn out for me then.

Sorry guys but I don't think I'm going to get around to posting an AAR because I'm leaving for ten days tomorrow and don't have time today. (gotta pack!)
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby superhik » 21 Jul 2009, 23:13

sroca wrote:
Martz wrote:Keep in mind I just gained 3 builds. ;) It would have taken A LOT more years.

Ah. Forgot about that. That's probably what Italy was seeing when he proposed the draw. It would have been too long and drawn out for me then.

Sorry guys but I don't think I'm going to get around to posting an AAR because I'm leaving for ten days tomorrow and don't have time today. (gotta pack!)

Well i feel like my explanation will maybe clear things up.

Firstly great AAR Martz, you stated everything from the scratch to the end. Pretty much only thing which is unclear is the_end

That is where i jumped in.

My idea was to punish Austria because there was a tons of time where we could finish him and then slowly progress to west/north

We had a beautiful chance to finish Turkey while E-F-G are busy fighting each other and without Russia
After few times i tried and tried to push A over there but no luck. That is why i was not so keen to attack France.
Anyhow when i saw that only option is 3-way alliance i hoped in and started to wonder, where to take builds, classic problem for all Italian rulers.

When i saw that only option was France i gained as much as i could.
I was aware that Austria was planning something but i kept sending many msgs and it proved worthy he stayed loyal even didn't saw Turk stab, he noticed it only after i asked him "Hey man what will we do?!" :) :)

After Austria was gone only option was to fight Turk, and i loved communication with England and hated working with Turk because of the stab :)
So while i was wondering on which side to go, situation became lot complicated and i am sure that it would take few more yrs to position better and few more to do any real damage against anybody. I think that we deserve this win 1/3 each :)

All the best guys.
Greetz, Nik.

Data Recovery Experts
http://www.datasolutions.rs
superhik

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Previous

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN