AAR Harp - Tournament Game: Because you demanded it!

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: AAR Harp - Tournament Game: Because you demanded it!

Postby Diplomat » 07 Apr 2009, 03:37

Actually 22, I was not being critical of your decision making, just commenting on lotr's statement.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby rick.leeds » 07 Apr 2009, 18:00

Diplomat wrote:I wonder at the comment that he had thought about it but chose not to.... He knew what he needed as points to advance and was hesitant still? Interesting at least.

As I think I said before, I was not expecting a place at the Final Table and didn't see that I could make it. If I stabbed France, that would have forced the others to ally against me and I would have, at best, got the draw. Wouldn't have been enough. Not knowing who I was playing against I wasn't aware of what points anybody else was on and what was needed. Perhaps a draw would have made it possible for someone else to get there? In the meantime, I didn't have any points. I'd taken the seat over from someone else prior to rounds 3 and 4.

To be honest, I recognise that I shouldn't be at the Final. The stalemate was sound due to the good play of the others. There are better players than me who probably deserve the place I have. I'm not proud of the way I got there. Oh and well done to France: naive old me thought he'd sacrificed willingly, rather than his reasons here :oops:

Won't change the fact that I'll still play to the best of my meagre ability in the Final though ;)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 07 Apr 2009, 18:46

rick.leeds wrote: Won't change the fact that I'll still play to the best of my meagre ability in the Final though ;)

Bravo and well said! ;)
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Dar Krum » 07 Apr 2009, 20:28

rick.leeds wrote:To be honest, I recognise that I shouldn't be at the Final.

I don't know about that. I have no reason to doubt .22's word about his reasoning. It makes sense and I have found him to be honourable in the past. What that means to me is that Rick saw an opportunity and pounced on it. That is the mark of a good player. And Rick, if you are doubting yourself, get over it fast. You don't want to have any distractions at THAT table. I have played in a game like that and if you start to look around in awe or question yourself, well, it will end poorly.

Best of luck to everyone at the table.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby rick.leeds » 07 Apr 2009, 23:09

Dar Krum wrote:
rick.leeds wrote:To be honest, I recognise that I shouldn't be at the Final.

I don't know about that. I have no reason to doubt .22's word about his reasoning. It makes sense and I have found him to be honourable in the past. What that means to me is that Rick saw an opportunity and pounced on it. That is the mark of a good player. And Rick, if you are doubting yourself, get over it fast. You don't want to have any distractions at THAT table. I have played in a game like that and if you start to look around in awe or question yourself, well, it will end poorly.

Best of luck to everyone at the table.

Oh sorry, hope it didn't sound like I was doubting .22's honesty. I completely accept his explanation and reasoning. Was a clever ploy and I would have fallen for it completely.

And thanks for the advice. I'm not doubting myself I just recognise that there are better players that haven't made it. Having said that, am going to eat plenty of kebabs and gas the other Finalists. I'm a shoo-in then :mrgreen:
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN