Tournament Game - GUINNESS - AARs

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tournament Game - GUINNESS - AARs

Postby Diplomat » 28 Mar 2009, 07:09

/unsmacks :arrow: Bitwise.... ;)
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby bitwise » 28 Mar 2009, 07:59

Hmm. Un-cries?
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Diplomat » 28 Mar 2009, 08:05

unbelievable! ;)
Diplomat

Postby Yorkshireman » 28 Mar 2009, 13:02

GUINESS – AAR.

France – Yorkshireman.

First off, thank’s to everyone for making it such an enjoyable game, a pitty it had to end in a stalemate but there again, well done to those responsible for moving the pieces to achieve the stalemate.

Openings.
Started off talking with France, Germany and Italy. I had Italy pegged as Master Radishes from almost the first scentence of the message by the way, not sure if that was intentional or not. I strike it off with England and decide to trust him, always a risky option but if we were to make progress together then the best option is from the start. We decide to ally from the first moment and take out Germany. I negotiate with Italy a DMZ of GoL, West Med, Piedmont and no fleet buids in MAR or ROM. It suited my requirements for the initial openings of the game so I go ahead and trust Italy aswell.
Spring 1901. I open in an offensive manner towards Germany and sell it off to him as a strong defensive measure (PAR to BUR and MAR support PAR to BUR), F BRE gets sent to MAO. The openings are perfect for me, England does as he told me he would, Italy and Austria both move East, Turkey opens with an anti-Russia opening, Russia makes a “strange” WAR to LVN move which must have puzzled more than one of us.

1902. This year England and myself started working together, Italy was making progress against Austria and things were looking healthy for me.

1903. Alarm bells start ringing in my ears. It’s here that I start to have grave doubts about Italy, who by this time I am absolutely sure is MR. I had hinted to him that what I expected of him was to move against both Austria and Turkey, I would be there at his back to “back him up” but he obviously didn’t trust me enough and decided in Fall 1903 to support the Turk into Greece, a move that to be honest dismayed me. Turkey and Austria had been asking me for some time to move against Italy which I steadfastly refused to do. This was the point at which I decided to break the DMZ agreement and move against Italy, something which I was unhappy to do but which had to be done, the possibility of Italy teaming up with Turkey was too great and too threatening to ignore. I think that I made the correct decision to go ahead and attack Italy but the other alternative would have made also an interesting game.

!904. At this point the cards are all but played and with hindsight the eventual stalemate was difficult to avoid. We (England and myself) perhaps could have made quicker progress through Germany if it had not been for the Russian fleet in Helgoland which on more than one occasion caused England to limit his advance, this possibly, was our greatest mistake, to not have got rid of the fleet earlier, I know that this would have meant an extra Russian army but personally I think that it would have been a better than fair swap for us. In fact that pesky Russian fleet in Helgoland was probably the single most important obstacle that we had, it occupied that sea zone for 4 years, causing England to continually keep back forces to cover adjoining centres, it caused England indirectly, to have to take Berlin from the German with a fleet instead of an army when what we really needed was land based forces to drive south through the continent whilst there was still time, so, hats off to you Russia on that one, I was surprised to read that Bit didn’t place too much emphasis on the importance of the wayward Russian fleet.
The rest of the game from this point on was an entertaining ballet of diverse and ingenious moves which didn’t change too much the overall aspect of the board. I was actually repentant to not have gone along with Turkey later on when he proposed to both England and myself to win the game 3 ways, but what Turkey asked for in his conditions was just a little too much. I honestly thought that England and I would be able to break through and win the game two ways, but it wasn’t to be. The final outcome of a draw between Italy, France and England was because this was a tournament game, I’m sure that under normal conditions it would have been a 3-way between Turkey, France and England.

I think that we all played an interesting and strong game, Germany I’m afraid had his days numbered from the start but kept up a strong fight all the same. Thank’s again to everyone.

Yorkshireman.
Yorkshireman

Standard rating: (1067)
All-game rating: (1010)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Yorkshireman » 28 Mar 2009, 13:06

bitwise wrote:LOL. I did consider if this was a wise thing to write, when we're still playing together in another game. Guess who just took one in the back. :mrgreen:

"All that glitters is not gold" as some say. Sorry Bit, this time it was just TOO tempting. But, if it makes you feel any better, which it probably won't, then I can tell you that I had made the decision well before reading you complementary note about me, thank's for that by the way :D
Yorkshireman

Postby bitwise » 28 Mar 2009, 13:24

You're welcome. No damage is done yet in that other game. I presume you're just passing through, right? ;)

Back on topic, you may be right about that Russian Fleet, but on the other hand I was afraid that we'd never get into WAR and MOS if Russia could rebuild in his backyard. The thing that really spoiled our progress on that front was when I had to disband an army over there. Most unfortunate.
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Sheddy » 28 Mar 2009, 14:40

Yorkshireman wrote:... In fact that pesky Russian fleet in Helgoland was probably the single most important obstacle that we had, it occupied that sea zone for 4 years ...

Actually five years. Spring 1903 - Spring 1908.

With no opportunity to put into port or to be supplied by neighbouring friendly fleets, conditions on board by the time it was destroyed were unspeakable.
Nation shall speak peace unto nation
- at least until spring 1901 orders are opened.

Do you dislike games spoiled by surrenders and missed orders? If so, please consider adding your name to the database of reliable players at The Classicists
Sheddy

Standard rating: (1043)
All-game rating: (1051)

Postby Yorkshireman » 28 Mar 2009, 15:05

Sheddy wrote:Actually five years. Spring 1903 - Spring 1908.

With no opportunity to put into port or to be supplied by neighbouring friendly fleets, conditions on board by the time it was destroyed were unspeakable.

Sorry, 5 years it is. I'm pleased to hear that they suffered, I hope that half of them were already rotton with scurvy by the time they were eventually put out of their misery! (I'm glad this is only a game!)
Yorkshireman

Postby Diplomat » 28 Mar 2009, 19:56

After 5 years they had no teeth, bone mass was down to almost nothing, they had no endurance and all needed diapers. I can't believe you did that to them you. Terrible!
Diplomat

Postby Master Radishes » 28 Mar 2009, 21:35

I've given up even trying to disguise my writing style. Everyone always guesses me. :) But I consider it an advantage more than a disadvantage.
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1235

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN