Tournament Game - GUINNESS - AARs

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Tournament Game - GUINNESS - AARs

Postby Master Radishes » 27 Mar 2009, 00:01

* ENGLAND (bitwise) - WINNER
* FRANCE (Yorkshireman) - WINNER
* ITALY (Master Radishes) - WINNER
* GERMANY (The Leader)
* AUSTRIA (chabz44)
* TURKEY (jaredstoff)
* RUSSIA (Sheddy)

http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... me_id=7127

Go.
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1235
Timezone: GMT

Re: Tournament Game - GUINNESS - AARs

Postby jaredstoff » 27 Mar 2009, 00:22

This one should blow some minds . . . :shock:
jaredstoff

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby speakerbox1217 » 27 Mar 2009, 02:28

o ya that is freaky lol should have finish master lol nomatter whens the next torny? sign me up
*conquered we conquer*
Homer roman 156 bc
speakerbox1217

All-game rating: 30316

Postby jaredstoff » 27 Mar 2009, 02:30

speakerbox1217 wrote:o ya that is freaky lol should have finish master lol nomatter whens the next torny? sign me up

Ditto.
jaredstoff

Postby lotr_freak » 27 Mar 2009, 07:59

Oh wow. I'm really interested in seeing how this one turned out how it did, with MR getting part of this draw... :?
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Master Radishes » 27 Mar 2009, 10:12

To explain that:

Jared, Sheddy and I discussed it, and they both admitted they had no hope of making the final table with any sort of draw. I, on the other hand, knew 3-4 points would put me in position to have a shot at it. So they generously agreed to accept a draw between me and E/F, since I would benefit from it more than they would. It was Jared who suggested it originally, so hats off to him for the honourable move. :) It wasn't about the site points or anything, it was solely for tournament purposes. But that's what the prospect of being in the final table does to ya, I guess...there's more strategy to being in a tournament with a scoring system like this than just in-game stuff. ;)

Of course, right now if England solos in Harp, I'll be knocked out again...
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1235

Postby bitwise » 27 Mar 2009, 13:43

AFTER ACTION REPORT - GUINNESS

Game Players
ENGLAND (bitwise)
FRANCE (Yorkshireman)
ITALY (Master Radishes)
GERMANY (The Leader)
AUSTRIA (chabz44)
TURKEY (jaredstoff)
RUSSIA (Sheddy)

Winner(s): England, France and Italy

Introduction:
Interesting game, which was influenced strategically by being a tournament game. There were some great tactical displays all over the board, and in the end we got a rather unexpected result.

Initial strategy:
England again. I guess I'm the witch of this tournament, 2 x England and 2 x Turkey. At least England is hard to kill, which offered me some hope of meeting some of my strategic goals of the game, which were:
1) Get some points :roll:
2) Identify key competitors if present and try to reduce their harvest of points :twisted:
3) Make sure that an anti Western Triple alliance doesn't form, e.g. by making it obvious that there is no Western Triple 8-)
4) Try to make it impossible for anyone to solo (excluding myself), possibly by dragging out the midgame. :ugeek:

Initial diplomacy:
Since I didn't want a Western Triple, I needed to sort my priorities of allies. I'd prefer France over Germany, if France sounded trustworthy, but Russia could also be interesting, so the initial messages were an alliance offer to France, a friendly reply to Russia who wanted to work with me and possibly Germany too, a non-committal yet friendly message to Germany and greetings to the rest of the board.
France came across as a good partner and I desided to keep him my top priority for an ally. We declared the DMZ in the Channel and started outlining the division of centers around us. Only concern was that the writing style was very familiar to me. Clearly someone who I had played before. Could it be Dar Krum or MR, who were ahead of me in points? There was also something vaguely familiar about Russia, who was clearly friendly towards both me and Germany so far, but who would he side with, if he had to chose between us?

Spring 01:
I did a Northern Opening and I was relieved to see that France also kept his part of the deal. Good start.
Elsewhere on the board there were many standard openings. It was not clear who were siding with who, but there were signs of a F/I NAP and an A/I ditto. Would Italy honour both? Most curious move was Russias WAR-LVN, which I didn't know what to think off.

Fall 01:
France and Germany aren't really clicking together. Excellent. This means that Germany will need to trust me to some degree, which he does as he invites me to take BEL. France does the same, even if we've already agreed that BEL ultimately is on his line of the border. I try to plant some anti-German thoughts in Russias head and vice versa. While Russia isn't ready for a "Magdeburg" move, he sounds willing to take on Germany next year together with me.
France gets the Iberian centers, while I get NOR and BEL. Elsewhere Austria and Russia are working together spelling trouble for Turkey. Italy runs into an Austrian self-bounce in TRI. Camouflage or stab? Time will show.

Spring 02:
Russia wanted to build in STP and he still wanted an E/G/R alliance. I manage to convince him to go for an E/R and build in MOS instead.
Then Turkey calls in reporting that he has learned of the formation of an A/I/R alliance. Tough luck for Turkey, if that's true, but we're too far away to help him out. But we do need to consider the possibility that Italy will turn West now. France will move to counter that threat without breaking the DMZ he has with Italy yet. During this I get the feeling that France would like to work with Italy, but not if he has to choose between Italy and me. I used this by setting up a zero-tolerance policy for Italian aggression towards the West.
The big mystery at this point was Russia. How many horses was he betting on? E/R, A/I/R, G/R? France and I deside that I need to tip my hand and take action against Germany and support France into RUH. It will make it faster to conquer Germany, and if A/I/R should manifest itself, then relations with Germany should be easy to reestablish. I also move a fleet to SKA to be able to take DEN.
The moves reveal that Turkey has managed to turn Austria against Russia, as he supports Austria into RUM, while he also fends off an Italy Lepanto move. Great job by Turkey. But what's the deal with making an attack, where Russia can retreat into BUD? Oversight by Austria or something covert? More paranoia.

Fall 02:
Key turn for me. France is in good position to attack Germany or assist me against Germany. Russia is in good position to attack Germany or assist me against Germany, but I'm also in position to attack Russia, who is now being distracted in the South. Germany is cornered and should be willing to consider anything that offers him hope. So many options and so little time. 8-) I deside to go for a risky option, which maximizes the gain, but it could also go terribly wrong.
Germany first: I explain the support into RUH as a trap to auto-destroy Frances army and then I offer support for an attack on Russia in Sweden. I doubt that Germany believed every word I said, but he didn't really have anywhere else to turn.
Then Russia: After a good deal of negotiation, I manage to convince him that he should take DEN with my support. What I don't tell him is, that I will slip into the vacated SWE at the same time. :twisted:
Everybody buys what I'm selling, and Germany gets reduced to 3 centers, while I gain both HOL and SWE. The Russian fleet in DEN is mostly harmless and his Northern defense in non-present.
Meanwhile France had a diplomatic fall-out with Turkey, who he accused for crying wolf. I desided to set up a good cop - bad cop relation then, and privately congratulated Turkey with his diplomatic triumphs.

Spring 03:
So far France had handled relations with Italy, but now I resumed communications too. That worked well, as the reply had all the characteristics of Master Radishes writings. That kinda overshadowed the content of the message about his willingness to go for an E/F/I triple, as it clearly wouldn't be in my interest to do this, as MR was ahead of me in the tournament. There would be no E/F/I in this game (ironic, I know :roll: ). and I subtly made sure, that France would eventually move on Italy.
The moves saw MUN fall to France, while I positioned myself against Russia. The Russian fleet in DEN moved to HEL, where it would spend quite a lot of time.

Fall 03:
At this point the dice had been thrown, so I'm speeding up on the reporting.
The Fall saw me taking DEN from Russia, while France moved to NAF and I followed into MAO. Amazingly the rest of the board were still not ceasing hostilities to fight us, and I was starting to hope for 6 points.

Spring 04:
I desided not to destroy the Russian fleet in HEL but keep it ransom instead. I figured that an extra army in the East would slow my progress more that just keeping the fleet contained. Instead I took KIE, while France and I moved in hard on Italy.

Fall 04:
STP fell to me, but more interesting was the fact that Austria lost a center to each of I/R/T. First indication, that me and France would soon face some coordinated resistance.

Spring 05:
The possibility of a stalemate line showed its ugly head, as our progress was being slowed down.

Fall 05:
My lone fleet in the Med. make landfall in NAP supported by France, after a brilliant set of assumptions if I may say so myself 8-) , but it's a tight spot and we're considering various creative approaches to make penetration (flashback to my teens :mrgreen: ).

1906:
I get over-creative after last turns success, and make some bad assumptions, which makes me leave NAP again to take ION instead. In retrospect this was a bad move, and it was probably at this point that we forfeited our chance to avoid the stalemate.

1907-1912:
Trenchwars, where France and I make a little progress, but not enough to avoid the stalemate, which our opponents did very well to set up, despite our best efforts to sow discord between them.
Meanwhile, I've secured 6 points in my other game, and I can see that I've qualified even if I only get 3 points from this game.

1913:
France and I approach Turkey about declaring a 3-way with him. To our surprise, it's Italy who gets back to us, claiming that he'll be the oppositions representative in the draw, and he puts the proposal up. As he isn't a threat to me anymore I accept, but I must admit that I was surprised to see the proposal go through. :?

Evaluations:

FRANCE (Yorkshireman): I started to believe that it was indeed you after the first 3 years. Both the timing and the style of play indicated that. Great, the best ally I could hope for. You always put the team ahead of yourself and are willing to go the extra mile to demonstate that you can be trusted. I was glad to have you on my side of the board. If at some point in time you should deside to change your playing style and stab an ally every now and then, you would be in the top 10 of the rankings, but I guess that kinda play isn't as satisfying for you?

ITALY (Master Radishes): What can I say? Well played to get your allies to vote you into the draw. 4 tournament points for a 2 center Italy really says it all. You were recognized, which made your task even harder, as I wasn't planning on getting the E/F/I up and running.

GERMANY (The Leader): I actually think that you did well under impossible conditions. With E/F/R surrounding you, you never really gave up. But the question remains how you got into that mess to begin with. I'm not sure, but maybe your initial message to potential allies could do with a little more effort. In anononymous games, that's the first impression, and you really want to come across well to your desired allies.

AUSTRIA (?/chabz44): I think 2 players controlled Austria in this game (dunam first?). I don't remember, when the switch happened, but my initial impression was good. Then communications died out, only to be briefly resumed, when there was no hope left for Austria. But it probably wouldn't have changed anything anyway.

RUSSIA (Sheddy): Deja Vu? I actually thought you were Dar Krum for quite some time, but in retrospect I should have known what triggered the sense of familarity in your writings. You did well, and if I hadn't felt so safe about France, then I would have given E/R a go. Once you got stabbed you put up a clever defense the Russian way by trading space for time, and it worked well. I had hoped I could spook you in the end, when Turkey went to the Black Sea, but of course you didn't fall for it.

TURKEY (jaredstoff): Bravo. You did well to talk your way out of a tough situation in the beginning and you did well in coordinating the defense later on. Definately a tough opponent. We may have some different opinions on tournament ethics, but it looks like you catched up just fine in the end by hoping that 4 points for MR would cause me and France problems.
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby bitwise » 27 Mar 2009, 22:12

bitwise wrote:FRANCE (Yorkshireman): I started to believe that it was indeed you after the first 3 years. Both the timing and the style of play indicated that. Great, the best ally I could hope for. You always put the team ahead of yourself and are willing to go the extra mile to demonstate that you can be trusted. I was glad to have you on my side of the board. If at some point in time you should deside to change your playing style and stab an ally every now and then, you would be in the top 10 of the rankings, but I guess that kinda play isn't as satisfying for you?

LOL. I did consider if this was a wise thing to write, when we're still playing together in another game. Guess who just took one in the back. :mrgreen:
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Diplomat » 28 Mar 2009, 00:03

/Smacks :arrow: Bitwise for making statements about an ongoing game which might compromise the Anon nature of the game and its players... :x
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Postby connect4 » 28 Mar 2009, 01:00

Diplomat wrote:/Smacks :arrow: Bitwise for making statements about an ongoing game which might compromise the Anon nature of the game and its players... :x

Really? He seemed to be referring to this game, which isn't anonymous at all.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN