Tounament Game - Amstel AARs

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tounament Game - Amstel AARs

Postby Diplomat » 19 Mar 2009, 10:15

Hindsight and knowing who you are playing with is huge. Each of my AARs in these rounds have reflected my point position and what I figured I needed to do to enhance my position. You just never know who else your helping though.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Flatley » 19 Mar 2009, 15:50

I will say, speaking for myself, that I am (in my own eyes) really horrible at identifying the other players in anonymous games. If I do, it's because their method of communication is so unique that I can't help but know who they are. Though, in all fairness, the only person with whom I've played more than once was GruGolG, and he and I didn't really communicate in this game.
The enemy's gate is down.

Don't go thinkin' you so bad jes cuz you was in SOLDIER.

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
Flatley

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jeanphi » 22 Mar 2009, 21:43

Sorry for the late AAR (Totally forgot about it), well it was a fairly straight WT from the start, the only hickup was Germany's insistence in keeping Russia alive which lead to some frictions andI was very close to switch to F/T/E alliance which would have made Turkey happy. I had guessed Russia was MR for the same reason Diplomat did and this is when I started guessnig Germany was Diplomat, as he was maneouvering to keep Russia for tie breaker points. Based on another tourney game with him I knew he did not need to get more points to be at the final table so I started guessing he was playing divide and prevent solo. (also style of play and communication made me suspect Germany=Diplomat).

I was happy to try for 3-ways which, unless my math is bad or I do not understand the tourney points (BOTH aspects are likely/probable), should give me a 80%+ chance to also be in top table.

Anyway as I was really getting pissed about the "travelocity roaming gnome" AKA as Russia, I decided to accidently finish his life by cutting his retreat in Kiel and at the same time made sure that I did not play any moves against Germany. My idea was, if Russia was to tryfor Kiel bounce him (and then tell Germany, that I had heard about his move lst minute) or if not, ask Germany for forgiveness and that it was just and accident and not a stab by pointing out if it was, it would be the most stupid or incomplete stab ever. The latter happened and we moved on.

Then it was the WT progress. Turkey asked me many time to stab but I did not see any benefits to switch F/G/E for F/T/E: made no sense.

That's about it that I recall. France played Great, Germany ... well just as usual great and I had little contact with others so can't comment much.

Last, I really need to understand better the point stuff and tie breakerfor the next tourney (If I can get in) as I really felt it added a whole new dimension.
Just don't forget: it is a GAME. The only reason to play is for fun.
FIER D'ETRE LYONNAIS
jeanphi

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Diplomat » 23 Mar 2009, 04:20

I do seem to get picked out rather quickly in most of these games ;)
Diplomat

Postby AQ » 23 Mar 2009, 11:02

Especially when you say things like "I wish this game wasn't anonymous and you would know who I really am" when someone doesn't do what you say ;-)
AQ

Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 23 Mar 2009, 19:52

Except that went to 1 person, not to everyone, and I'll let the fact that my understanding of the alliance structure of the game was spot on be the defense as to why listening would have been a good option.
Diplomat

Postby AQ » 23 Mar 2009, 20:35

I wasn't commenting on whether your analysis of the game was right or wrong but replying to your comment that you seem to be easily recognizable in games. The point is you felt it necessary to make a not-so-subtle hint at your identity in order to try and change my mind. It failed, we both left STELLA with zero points. Up until that point I didn't know who you were. After your "hint" I looked back through my history and found only one other person with a similar stye of communication.
AQ

Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 24 Mar 2009, 03:24

Of course the difference is that I knew that I was already a virtual lock for the final table coming out of the first 2 games. If I could not win in this game, I needed to make sure that no one left with a solo or 2 player draw to make sure the points value for the game was as low as possible on a per player basis. I explained that in the AAR and that was my approach to the second game as well, though I did get points in that one. Also, I did not leave that game with 0 points. I got Detour points for the tie breaker, and with a WT in play that we could not resist I was happy to get those.
Diplomat

Previous

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN