Tournament Game - HEINEKEN - AARs

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tournament Game - HEINEKEN - AARs

Postby chabz44 » 13 Mar 2009, 22:55

Gentlemen,

Chabz44 - Italy.

I will give you more info about this game and write a resume of my actions no later then monday.

cheers
Diplomat: A person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. ~Caskie Stinett, Out of the Red, 1960
chabz44

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby camroc » 13 Mar 2009, 23:45

Thanks Chabzz - looking forward to/apprehensive about it :)
camroc

Timezone: GMT

Postby jaredstoff » 14 Mar 2009, 00:18

The anticipation is killing me! I can't wait to say "I told you so!" ;)
jaredstoff

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Dunam » 19 Mar 2009, 17:47

No message from him yet. I was the defecting player and I am very sorry that I didn't have more time to devote to diplomacy. On the plus side taking a break from my games has paid off and my life is considerably better now.

I played Italy and I do not have a very good track record as italy. I decided to do things differently. I would tell nobody concrete plans until I had some idea who was in the sack with whom. It was very quickly clear to me that france and england were allied and this worried me. Even if germany wasn't in on the deal, england and france are very difficult enemies to deal with and especially italy will suffer from it. Setting up the moves I did, I did to create these options and this is in order of priority:

1. Attack austria if austria proves to be uncooperative
2. Protect against western triple
3. Attack germany if he proves to be uncooperative
4. Help germany to defend munich against france

When I opened, to austria's and turkey's surprise in a way that seemed very anti-austrian, turkey immediately contacted me that he would rather like to carve up austria together. Sometimes when someone says that, it feels more like a probe, but he was very open and direct about. He was suggesting it to me. I still declined. The lack of good communication from germany made it uncertain if there was or wasn't a western triple, but if there were, we would need an alliance of at least three eastern powers. Like turkey, I also knew that austria could be divided up later if we have the opportunity. I needed them to fight russia, while I developed my diplomatic position.

Once austria and turkey proved very cooperative, it was pretty much set in stone that I would work with them, at least for a while. Turkey seemed very trustworthy. Although my initial opening seemed like a bohemian crusher, my build would have been a fleet that I asked france if I could sail past him towards england or france. If he agreed to this in word and deed, I would gladly have found another ally in him. I never believed him when he told me I could though, so I expected my first fight to be with france.
Saying "You're wrong! There is a god!" is as unhelpful as "You're wrong! There's no god!"
Dunam

Timezone: GMT+1

Postby jaredstoff » 19 Mar 2009, 18:03

Thank you, Dunam. This was actually the insight I was most interested in.

And I'm glad to hear you've gotten all your affairs in order.

I still would like to hear from chabz, though. Perhaps he meant next Monday? There are 52 Mondays a year, and he never specified which one. :?
jaredstoff

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby camroc » 25 Mar 2009, 00:47

HI Dunam - it would have been interesting to have worked together in this one after what happened in the first round :)

You were the first player I "connected" with in this game although I then thought that I had a good understanding with Austria too. After your opening, the reason I was so pushy about attacking Austria was that I really wanted to figure out where you were coming from. As I had opened against Russia, I figured that Austria was very important to me at that time - if you said that you would carve up Austria with me, I would have been in a difficult position as that wasn't what I wanted (at that stage ;) ), but by being so pushy and having you still refuse, I was pretty confident that you were still planning with Austria and I and I passed him on that info as I didn't want him spooked.

I guess you know what happened when you left so we will never know how that alliance would have gone.

Nice to see you back on the boards - hope everything is good with you.
camroc

Timezone: GMT

Postby Dunam » 27 Mar 2009, 21:39

I had the situation completely down then. It's exactly what I read. Sure it was tempting to attack austria when you have a clear cut bohemian crusher option, but I knew that the next target for you after austria would likely be me. I mean, where else can turkey expand?

And I figured you were testing me when you did suggest carving austria (although I wasn't sure). Regardless of whether it's true, it gave me the feeling that we were in this with the two of us.
Saying "You're wrong! There is a god!" is as unhelpful as "You're wrong! There's no god!"
Dunam

Timezone: GMT+1

Previous

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN