Tournament Game - STELLA - AARs

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tournament Game - STELLA - AARs

Postby camroc » 04 Mar 2009, 10:39

superhik - this is only a game after all and with all that going on in RL, I'm surprised you find time to log-on at all. Many congratulations and best wishes. Hope to meet up in some game in the future - maybe your son/daughter can become the youngest soloist on the site in a couple of years :)

Dip - is AQ not going to tell us what really happened? ;)
camroc

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby superhik » 04 Mar 2009, 15:31

camroc wrote:superhik - this is only a game after all and with all that going on in RL, I'm surprised you find time to log-on at all. Many congratulations and best wishes. Hope to meet up in some game in the future - maybe your son/daughter can become the youngest soloist on the site in a couple of years :)

Dip - is AQ not going to tell us what really happened? ;)

Hehe :)

Thanks guys i will do my best to train it well ;)
Greetz, Nik.

Data Recovery Experts
http://www.datasolutions.rs
superhik

Timezone: GMT+1

Postby camroc » 04 Mar 2009, 16:23

jeanphi, superhik - I see that you guys didn't really need me anyway ;)

http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... me_id=6623
camroc

Postby superhik » 04 Mar 2009, 17:26

camroc wrote:jeanphi, superhik - I see that you guys didn't really need me anyway ;)

We have some kind of bizzare history :)
Greetz, Nik.

Data Recovery Experts
http://www.datasolutions.rs
superhik

Postby lotr_freak » 04 Mar 2009, 19:25

camroc wrote:jeanphi, superhik - I see that you guys didn't really need me anyway ;)

OH man.... Don't even bring that game up. As Italy, I thought I had a great chance, especially after Turkey and I grew quickly, took out Austria and Russia, and had a firm alliance. But then Turkey had a couple key NMR's (key to our opponents at least) and I couldn't hold France and Germany by myself. Great game by superhik and jeanphi though!
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Diplomat » 04 Mar 2009, 22:56

Don't know on AQ, I hope so. If I misread his intentions early I would like to know for my own future diplomatic efforts. I don't expect so, given that Kian confirmed he thought there was a Jugger, but you never know.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Kian » 04 Mar 2009, 23:22

I think this one has nearly been done to death - though I would dearly have liked an AAR from AQ.

Also, for my own diplomatizing future I need to know where I confirmed that I thought there was a Juggernaut. I thought my AAR and the posted appeal for the 4 way made clear that there was no Juggernaut in place.

I do somehow think that the threat of a Juggernaut can be self fulfilling. No-one seems to believe they can have a three way or four way with R and T without 'the Jugger will eventually appear you know...'.

My goodness, even when T and R attack each other hammer and tongs everyone shouts 'concealed Juggernaut!!!'

Being fairly new to the site and in my first tournament game I could see the danger of forming a Juggernaut - I have seen them thwarted before. What I did not take into account was the impossibility that people would believe me when I said that there was no Juggernaut but that Russia did not deserve to be stabbed and insisted I wanted Russia included in the deal.

Naiive or what? :D

But now that the lesson is learned I think it will probably lead to me being involved in more Juggernauts rather than fewer.

With one exception at least.... in a recent game I met a like minded individual chatted about whether we should do the boring Juggernaut - decided that not only did it bore us - it bordered on the 'unsporting', wished each other well and went off to find other routes to fame and fortune. My last phrase to him was 'Prepare to meet the pointyness of the Russian hordes charge' or words to that effect. I wonder how long it will be before someone shouts "Clever opening for a concealed Juggernaut!" :D

In short - I do maintain that, with the exception of a very few mails well before and many, many subsequent mails before gameplay started, there was no Juggernaut ever intended. But I should have realised that it was too big an ask for me to think experienced players would believe that. so - I was at fault.

Kian
"Tell the truth, and so puzzle and confound your adversaries. ” Sir Henry Wotton

"I'm better pleas'd to make one more,
Than be the death o' twenty." Lines on War - Rabbie Burns
Kian

Postby jeanphi » 05 Mar 2009, 04:03

lotr_freak wrote:

OH man.... Don't even bring that game up. As Italy, I thought I had a great chance, especially after Turkey and I grew quickly, took out Austria and Russia, and had a firm alliance. But then Turkey had a couple key NMR's (key to our opponents at least) and I couldn't hold France and Germany by myself. Great game by superhik and jeanphi though!

Yes and bitwise got an even worse and more unfair side of the deal with England (sorry bitwise) in that game. Also Camro... Maybe we did not need you but it is so much more pleasant to have other friends in the alliance and as a side note: once we agreed to the alliance I was set strongly in my mind that unless something major happened, I was going 3-way all the way. As Superhick mentioned I am a carefull paranoid player but I also am one of the most faithfull ally you'd find... to a fault I guess...
Just don't forget: it is a GAME. The only reason to play is for fun.
FIER D'ETRE LYONNAIS
jeanphi

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby bitwise » 05 Mar 2009, 09:04

jeanphi wrote:
lotr_freak wrote:

Yes and bitwise got an even worse and more unfair side of the deal with England (sorry bitwise) in that game. Also Camro... Maybe we did not need you but it is so much more pleasant to have other friends in the alliance and as a side note: once we agreed to the alliance I was set strongly in my mind that unless something major happened, I was going 3-way all the way. As Superhick mentioned I am a carefull paranoid player but I also am one of the most faithfull ally you'd find... to a fault I guess...

Well, I don't have a problem with it. I fell ill in the beginning of the game and didn't have time to communicate. It was a strugle even to fill in orders. Naturally, I didn't expect to make it that way. "Don't bring Gunboat play to a communication game." :mrgreen:
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)

Postby Diplomat » 05 Mar 2009, 11:49

A juggernaut is R/T allied. You were allied with Russia, and he with you, and neither of you were allied with anyone else until the end. R/T. Juggernaut.

Russia and I were keen to ally - but we both wanted a third - in my case because it would keep us honest
But no 3rd developed.

What I did not take into account was the impossibility that people would believe me when I said that there was no Juggernaut but that Russia did not deserve to be stabbed and insisted I wanted Russia included in the deal.
Because when R/T ally there is no room for a 3rd. Also Russia would not have been stabbed, but attacked. That is what I asked one or the other of you to do.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Previous

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN