Tournament Game - STELLA - AARs

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tournament Game - STELLA - AARs

Postby camroc » 27 Feb 2009, 00:59

Thanks LOTR - don't think I'll be doing it again :)

mdmuff said:

After the Spring 1901 moves it was apparent there was a WT & a Jugger in play

I'm interested in that. The Spring moves saw England and France leave the Channel open as would be expected if they were allied. As well as moving to Iberia, France moved to Burgundy. My moves were standard opening moves for Germany (Den, Ruh, Kie), so I am curious as to why you believed that there was a WT rather than just an E/F alliance?

Would it have been better to have had England open to Eng Ch or was it the communication rather than the moves?

With Austria moving to Sil in the Fall, you and he had clearly taken a view by then. I was then very surprised with the change of tack in Spring 02 when Russia became Austria's target.
camroc

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 27 Feb 2009, 01:14

Answers? Lets see...

Game Players
ENGLAND (jeanphi) WINNER - congrats, with just a few hiccups in strategy you did very well.

FRANCE (superhik) WINNER - Can't say much since we never talked at all that I'm aware of.

ITALY (mdmuff) - No shock to me, I knew you were solid from day 1 messages. I just wish we could have gotten you into the winners circle. This is the only player I might have been able to guess on though it could also have been 22.rhathaway in my mind. I knew it was not MR or Bats so it was down to MD or 22.

GERMANY (camroc) WINNER - Well done, strategically and diplomatically. When it became clear though that you were found out you might have decided on a different tact. I would also have liked to see you push for additional growth.

AUSTRIA (Diplomat) - Sad sad day. No points for you!

TURKEY (Kian) - Honestly, nothing personal. Everything is fair in the diplomatic phase, though it was clear that I had upset you early on and for that I apologized in game and will do so here... I know I was pressing you hard but there was a reason. I still hold though that my tactics for dealing with the potential RT juggernaut were the only ones that had a chance of working. Had you turned on Russia sooner....

RUSSIA (AQ) - Sorry AQ. I was actually surprised by it being a tenured player in Russia when the game was over. I never felt like you were ever on board with any idea and, when you moved to attack me and fed me the 'predenial' (see below) it seemed very short sighted. Also, when you threaten a Kamikazee you have to make it stick and I did. Even so you never gave up which I can respect.

On to the show.

AAR for Austria by Diplomat

First off, hats off to the winners for the victory. Second, I wont be writing an AAR to rival Camroc’s excellent summary, that is simply outstanding. Lastly, yes yes yes... I died to a WT and did not win. It happens ;) Of course MR already knew that since I had told him.

PreMoves 01

1901 is the dating period in Diplomacy, everyone lies and says they want to love you forever, but most of them just want to do you and get on to the next conquest. As long as you understand that your ok. Also, for me, I’ve found I have to vary my communication styles in Anon games or I am quickly ‘found out’. This created a problem for me as I was trying to convey inexperience and, when the WT showed up after Spring moves on one side, and the Jugger on the other, I was less credible I think that I would have wanted to be. Still, looking at Camroc’s AAR it would really have made no difference in the way the game ended.

Fairly standard communications with all parties except for France who was basically silent, with good responses from everyone initially. Italy was a great communicator and I was not at all surprised to learn it was MD there when the game ended. Turkey did some odd things, including revealing who he was in a message and thinking he needed to leave the game as a result, but nothing shocking. Russia’s messages were good but I never felt good about that situation and I await his AAR to confirm my concerns on that front. England and I had no real reason to talk beyond the initial stages of the game. Germany did a good job trying to convince me he loved the idea of a central alliance.

Early on I decided my partner was going to have to be Italy primarily, and after that I wanted to find a 3rd to work with us to ensure we would get to the end game.

For T and R I will go into the issues I had with the Juggernaut.

First, I’m Austria and for Austria to have any hope of surviving the Juggernaut it has to be broken up. Stopping it early usually means Austria is already basically dead and the rest of the board has stopped them in Austria. That’s a death sentence for Austria so it has to be broken up, not stopped. I communicated with everyone and everyone shared information, sometimes they intended to do it, other times they did not, but the information gets out. There is information in what you share, what you don’t share, what you say you will do, and what you say you won’t. For me I HAD to know before moves so, when I first detected an RT agreement I went on the offensive. I would have allied with either one of them if they would turn on the other, but neither would. Also during this process Russia told me that he and Turkey were sharing and discussing my messages and, in one case, they both sent me the same message back within minutes of each other. (note: Not the same message as in cheating, the same message content). I started raising the cry of Juggernaut and trying to convince one of them to break away from the other or face the rest of the board. I basically told each of them the same thing, if they did not do moves XYZ then there was a juggernaut. In both cases the moves were clearly anti the other player and were the most effective moves to open with in both cases. Both of them refused to agree to the moves (that was the same message, that they would not be bullied) but that there was no Juggernaut. Yeah, right. Not the most convincing effort on their part to sell the claim that they were not working together. Russia complicates the situation by asking for a bounce in Gal initially, after our discussion to DMZ it, then at the last minute asking to go back to the DMZ. How could I trust him at that point and risk losing Gal in Spring? I couldn’t. We would just have to wait and see what moves brought, though I was not hopeful.

I turned to Italy and we discussed how we might do both a Key and Blue Lepanto combination and I invited him into Trieste thinking that, if all went well, I might end up with Rum and Greece while he took Serbia. We also discussed communications and that I would stay on the offensive but share all intel with him and he could then perhaps moderate if there seemed to be a possible break.

Suddenly, and without warning, the Swiss Observer made its appearance in the game. I thought this might be a deal breaker and ID me since Bit was not in the game but, what the heck, it was fun and added some spice. I tried to write it so that no one would see a country bias and I’m glad to see that Camroc thought AQ in Russia had done it. It was a mixture of info and intel I had, rumors, and plain yellow journalism.

“EXTRA EXTRA!!! Read All About It in the Swiss Observer! Special Spring 1901 European Edition – Your Source for the Best in Sort-of-Neutral News Coverage. Headlines from this issue: “ENGLANDS NEW PM PLAYS IT CLOSE TO THE VEST” Is he all in? Will England’s fleets head north, south or east? English Sailors eagerly await orders to ship out! “KAISER WEIGHS OPTIONS” Conflicting reports out of Germany reveal that the German head of state is facing internal unrest as differing factions suggest actions against France, England, Russia, and even all three! Rumors are though that the General that suggested attacking everyone was… dismissed. “LE PRESIDENTE DE FRANCE EN VACANCE?” Rumors abound that France’s leadership has been on vacation which might explain the startling lack of diplomatic activity coming from that great nation during this time of turmoil. Reporters are trying to confirm these Rumors as we speak. “ARCHDUKE ACTING OUT?” The ArchDuke Ferdinand appears to have become partially unhinged due to perceived threats of a combined Russo-Turkish invasion into his country. Diplomatic missives are flying out of Austria at a great pace even as his closest advisers strongly urge him to take a much needed vacation in Galicia. Sources close to the Duke were quoted as saying ‘Its not as if the entire fate of Europe rests on early detection of such an alliance right?’. “THE POPE BRINGS A MESSAGE OF PEACE” The pope’s early efforts at peace in the Med appear to have fallen short and many powers hope to influence the eventual actions of the Swing State of Italy. “TURKISH DELIGHTS” The Sultan was reportedly so pleased with his diplomatic efforts with Austria, Italy and Russia that he has decided to take a few weeks off and go boating in the Black Sea. The Emir being left behind in charge of the Turkish nation was overheard to have said ‘It will probably be a short trip since reports of a Russian trip into the Black Sea are just coming in, though this clearly does not mean that the Sultan and the Czar are no longer friends’. “CZAR EXPANDING NATION ON ALL FRONTS” The Russian leadership has indicated that they intend to reclaim lands and peoples that are historically theirs. This year they hope to save the poor peoples of Sweden, Rumania, Galicia and perhaps some Viennans. The Czar was heard talking to one of his ministers saying ‘All of these people can say Czar right? Clearly they belong within my empire then’. ADVERTISEMENT –Tired of not knowing which ally to choose? Not sure if a broken DMZ is really a mis-order? We have the answer you have been looking for! ACME Lie Detectors on sale now! No leader in Europe can be without one of these great items. Take your diplomatic messages, pass them under the scanner, and find out instantly if the message is True or False. Available now at your local electronics store. ------Disclaimer – results not typical for all users. Online experience may vary”

And we all waited eagerly for moves….

Spring Moves 01

Moves hit and… damn. WT and an arranged Black Sea bounce to hide a Juggernaut. The only surprise was no bounce in Gal. Both Turkey’s armies headed to Austria. England opens Anti Russia, the only question mark is France in Bur and Germany in Ruhr but still, things look much clearer. WT. Damn. Juggernaut. Damn. Missing this was big for me but I was thrown off by the lack of any press out of France.

I figure it is EF playing quiet and G trying to play everyone as a reluctant partner looking for a way out. RT’s moves prove to me they are in a Jugger given the issues prior to moves with shared press and communications. G is there to get info if he can, stir up trouble among the 4 in the east, and provide an outlet for possible stab talk.

The Press machine starts back up and I have a glimmer of hope that Russia will rethink his situation when he is bounced by Germany. A WT showing up so early should, SHOULD, kill the Juggernaut idea. Lots of press flying by here and Italy and I both start trying to redirect efforts. If we move fast, and if Turkey agrees not to gut everyone from behind, we can stop them and even win. Things seem to go well and Russia appears to come on board, I move to cross the stalemate line and go on the offensive, while telling Germany that is everyone else but me making me do this mean thing. Turkey at this point is very hostile towards me and I can’t believe he will just sit back, even though I suggest that we all ally and share a 4 way draw and include Turkey as a way to get buy in from everyone. I don’t trust Turkey so I tell Italy to stay in Trieste and support me to Serbia, I will take Greece, and he will take Tunis so Italy can build 2 fleets and dominate the Med quick enough to advance on France if our alliance holds.

I remind everyone that Belgium and Sweden are the keys to confirming the WT, regardless of what G says. If there is a bounce in Sweden then Germany wants a weak Russia. If no bounce then Germany wants a strong Russia to counter England. If there is no bounce in Belgium between GF, or if England gets it, then there is no question they have arranged for 5/5/5 center equality and we have a WT.

Moves… come on moves…

Fall 01

Damn. No question on the WT now despite Germany’s continued denials BUT it appears that the group has held up to its initial test and we are positioned to hold the WT even if we can’t break them. Even Turkey does not really do anything unexpected. Its on to builds and then to 1902.

Spring 1902

“EXTRA EXTRA!!! Read All About It in the Swiss Observer! Special Spring 1902 European Edition – Your Source for the Best in Sort-of-Neutral News Coverage. Headlines from this issue: “ENGLANDS FIELD MARSHALL WINS STRUGGLE FOR NATIONS RESOURCES” Marshall Roberts announced the formation of 2 new English armies in a sudden and unexpected snub to the Royal Navy. When contacted Roberts stated ‘Well we consulted with our allies and determined that having a bunch of armies on this island nation of ours was the best way to deter external threats and to prosecute our wars of expansion in the north.’ “KAISER BALANCES OPTIONS AND OBLIGATIONS” The diplomatic core of the Kaiser’s government has been observed in intense negotiations with leaders in both the east and west of Europe. When contacted the Kaiser was asked which countries he would help and which would betray but his only reply ‘Kein Kommentar’ was really no help at all in predicting which way he would eventually jump. “LE PRESIDENTE DE FRANCE TAKES UP BOATING?” Recently returned from his vacation the French leader immediately went out and ordered up a bunch of new boats. When rumors of Italian concerns over this development were reported to him the President is reported to have said ‘Read my lips, There will be No attacking Italy!’ before turning and asking his Admirals for a map of Italian possessions in the Mediteranean. “ARCHDUKE STUNNED BY ITALIAN OCCUPATION” The ArchDuke, already slightly imbalanced was shocked to return from his vacation in Galicia to find Italian vacationers had overrun Trieste. Ferdinand refused to provide a statement and was seen muttering to himself ‘But, but… I thought it was the Russians and the Turks… where the hell did those Italians come from?’ Dr. Sigmund Freud has been called in to speak with the Archduke about his recently stated concerns that everyone is after him. “THE POPE TRAINING CREWS TO RACE BOATS FOR GOD” The Pope, in a stunning move aimed and increasing the attraction of teens and sports fans to the Church, announced that he is putting priests on boats to sail about the beaches of the Mediterranean and to administer the word of God to all the scantily clan Christians there. ‘We hope to eventually sail to people all over the world if this current outreach effort goes well’. “CAPTAIN SULTAN?” The Sultan, giving into peer pressure from the other southern leaders recently announced that he too is getting a new boat. When contacted the Sultan stated ‘What? This boat? No no, this is not for war silly? I’m cruising for chicks! Have you ever met those Eastern European girls? Crazy man Crazy!’. “CZAR’S EXPANSION IN THE NORTH HALTED” The Czar’s efforts at returning the Swedes to the protection of the motherland proved Futile as Germany’s efforts to return the Swedes to the protection of the Fatherland ended up forcing both parties to Family Court. The Czar was upset with the judge’s decision that until such time as one parent or the other can prove they can provide support for Sweden no parent can claim custody. EXCEPRT FROM THE SINGLES SECTION – Turkish Sultan seeking good times, friendship, possibly more from available single woman with no current attachments. ‘Come meet me in my palace and meet the members of my Harem!’ The Sultan prefers women who do not eat too much and don’t really speak much either for that matter. Austrian women need not apply. If interested respond to box 7129 and leave a message.”

Builds brought no surprises at all and the Spring starts up. Germany gets very active again trying to sow seeds of doubt and portray himself as the odd man out looking for love somewhere, but clearly he is loved by the builds and moves I’ve seen. Things are going along fairly normally, and it appears everything is going to be ok. Either Turkey will sit and wait, or he can be held in check with a few units total. The WT is coming, but perhaps Germany’s concerns are something that we can use to break them up? All appears right in the world when, suddenly, Russia messages Italy and I talking about how his messages have been twisted and please disregard everything we might hear, he is on board. This is very odd and neither Italy nor I had heard from anyone claiming that Russia was going to do anything other than we had planned… I look around the board and try to figure what has really happened to prove there is no Jugger? Russia could be worried, or he could be trying to convince us that rumors of an attack don’t mean he will attack, yet he is attacking and he is worried someone he told might relay that information. Who? Germany or Turkey? I message Italy and start up the discussion citing my concerns that predenial is a cause for concern. Can I trust Russia? Agony… Gah… No, I can’t. In a decision that was made with 43 minutes to go before moves I adjusted my orders to move back to Gal for a possible bounce and to cover Budapest as the only likely weak spot. Further I figured that if Russia was not with us there was no question he was going back to the Jugger so I went ahead and attacked Bulgaria even though I clearly would never be able to hold it. Messages went out to Germany telling him I was tired of Russia’s lies and would not attack him and hoped for Germany’s support. I sent out a last ditch effort message saying if anyone broke our agreement I would kamikaze them and hoped for a final denial from Russia to come in at the last minute so I could change orders back. I warned Italy that if I was jumping the gun then Russia would never trust me from this point and waited to see what would happen.

Moves….

Damn. About everything that could go wrong for our hopes to defeat the WT did. Russia did turn, Turkey is still on the offensive, the WT is moving forward at a record pace.

Fall 02

This was the turn my strategy had to change. Clearly I would not be able to enter the Mid game with strength, so I just had to get there with a hope of being able to do something. Barring that I needed to make sure that no one in the game ended up with more than 3-4 points since I knew I already had 16. I also wanted to do everything I could to force a stalemate if possible which might break up the WT and give everyone else a shot at victory. Italy needed fleets so I invited him to take Greece and Vienna thinking I could hold my area for a while with 3 centers. I also decided to force the issue between Turkey and Russia who, no matter what they said, continued to move and act like they were allies. If Russia could fall fast enough Turkey would have little choice but to come on board to stop the triple. So… help Germany, give everything I could to Italy, lose as little as I could to Turkey or Russia.

At this point I was basically talking to Italy and Germany, both of whom were sharing intel from the others to one extent or another and I was treading water hoping for a brighter day.
Moves… yep. I took War, Italy took Vie and Greece, Turkey took back Bulgaria, and the stage was set with Germany and England coming at Russia and Russia more concerned about the south than the north and destroys in StP basically giving it up.

From here on there is very little change in the game so I won’t go into great detail.

1903 - I continued to press on Russia, even offering move suggestions to the Triple, hoping Turkey would respond to Italy’s requests for help in stalemating the WT as he saw Russia weakening to inevitable destruction. I also started in on Germany trying to get him to doubt the triple and dream big. Turkey turned a receptive ear to Italy finally and I immediately agreed to help as I could, leaving Turkey alone entirely as needed. Spring set up the Fall for me taking Rumania while Italy moved into Serbia to either take that for a build or to bounce Turkey. It ended up being the bounce as Turkey again refused to attack Russia and instead attacked me. Italy also tried to mount an offensive v France, rather than just playing defense, which ended up putting him in a poor position. Of course at that point playing Defense only was just delaying the inevitable so why not take a chance?

The Observer for 1903 was late this as I was busy with work and did not immediately get to writing it but, from my standpoint, the game was almost finished unless someone in the triple tried for more.

EXTRA EXTRA!!! Read All About It in the Swiss Observer! Special Spring 1903 European Edition – Your Source for the Best in Sort-of-Neutral News Coverage. Headlines from this issue: “ENGLISH PM STARTS A ROCK BAND” The English PM was seen this week clubbing around London with his new Rock Band called the Western Singles. So far the band has met with only limited success and booked dates only in England and the Scandinavian countries. Discussions of a tour through Russia though look promising with Spring dates in St. Petersburg and possible Fall dates in either Warsaw or Moscow. When asked if he was seeking additional members for his band the PM was tight lipped claiming ‘The press never gives me a break anyway so you can just sod off!’. “KAISER SIEZES THE UNDEFENDED LOWLANDS IN A STARTLINGLY UNAGRESSIVE MOVE” The Kiaser’s press conference last season where he cited ongroing tensions with Belgian separatists (known as the Waffle Movement) as the reason for the German invasion were well attended by both French and English Diplomats who, it was no surprise, lodged no protests whatsoever. “LE PRESIDENTE DE FRANCE CREATES THE MEDITERANEAN BOATING CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE?” Working closely with Futbal leagues at home and abroad the Presidente today announced the formation of a competitive boating league which would pit the best of Italian, French and Turkish boats against each other to see which team could prevail in the always tense Mediteranean Series A over the next few years. The Presidente stated ‘I’m sure our boats and sailers will prove up to the task before them and we will claim the ultimate prize’. “ARCHDUKE MAKES WAY FOR A SURGE OF ITALIAN IMMIGRANTS” Citing internal pressures from his population the Archduke today confirmed a resettlement program with the recent influx of Italian settlers. When contacted the Archduke stated ‘It’s the reality in Europe that populations move more than they used to. Even now we are planning on teaching our children Italian in schools just in case it continues’. “THE POPE WELL THOUGHT OF AROUND EUROPE” The Pope seems to be a hot commodity this season on the party circuit, every wants his holiness to attend all the hippest functions. Cardinal Richelieu, his press secretary, confirmed his busy social schedule, ‘Its just crazy, even the Sultan wants something from the Pope besides some good ol’ death to the infidel. We can’t keep up with the demand for new and flashy suits for his red carpet appearances.’ “SULTAN SIEZES THE MOMENT” News today leaked of the Sultan’s last ditch efforts to unite the eastern world under his incredibly wise rule. ‘Have no fear’, said the Sultan, ‘With my excellent planning and strategy how can my plans fail?’ “CZAR’S REGIME QUESTIONED BY EXTREMISTS” The Czars recent strategies were called into question this winter by Extremist factions within his government. One opposition leader was quoted anonymously as saying ‘I’m not sure I see how we can attain victory following a Czar that believes allowing our Scandinavian and Polish holdings is a key to expanding our empire. Its just crazy!’ LABOUR STRUGGLES STRIKE PRODUCTION LINES! – Recent struggles between Labour and Management delayed the publication of the Swiss Observer this year and for that the paper wants to apologize to all readers. The Sr. Editor stated ‘This is tragic and, as a result, this issue and the next one will be issued free of cost to our loyal readers.’

1904 – This is the year Turkey finally decided to take action, but it was too little to late and losses in spring and destroys paved the way to the WT victory dance. This joint effort really would have worked as there ended up being true discussions on moves, center sharing for builds, and good strategy, but it was to late to do anything but remove Russia from the board finally and gain Turkey some points for tie breakers. I continued to work on Germany and, for the first time, actively worked against the triple. The Observer was on time and, as promised, Free to all readers but, at this point, it was getting tough to come up with anything new about the game so I got a bit creative talking about tell all books and hedgehog hunting (this is a throwback to the original Anon Gunboat game in case anyone catches the reference). I particularly likes the bit about the Pope’s sermons, I thought that was funny.

EXTRA EXTRA!!! Read All About It in the Swiss Observer! Special Spring 1904 European Edition – Your Source for the Best in Sort-of-Neutral News Coverage. Headlines from this issue: “ENGLISH PM’s BAND STARTS EUROPEAN TOUR” The Press Agent for the new hit Boy Band ‘The Western Triplets’ today announced new dates for their ongoing tour. The Band has really taken off in recent weeks with the revelation of 2 members known only as Kaiser Germaine and Le Presidente. When asked what their plans were the official replied ‘They plan to hit all the major capitols before the end of the tour, Moscow first, then perhaps Vienna followed by Rome and, after that, Constantinople’. No one knows how long the band will stay together but, as long as they do, they are sure to have a successful run in the music world. “GERMAN YOUTH ON THE MARCH” The Kiaser’s youth corps continues its eastward trek into Austria. When contacted the leadership of the group said ‘We heard about this Australian tradition, a Walk-a-bout, and that sounded really cool so we’ve decided to see if we can do something similar’. The various troops are said to be working their way across the continent as they go, serving as ground crews and roadies for the Western Triplets when they are in town . “FRENCH BOATING EFFORTS PAY OFF IN THE TYRRHENIAN” Le Presidente was reported to be very happy with the recent results of his boating crews efforts. ‘Just fabulous, I love the coast along Italy’ he was reported to have said when finding out about his crews recent successes. “ARCHDUKE REPORTEDLY PLEASED WITH HEDGEHOG HUNTING” The Archduke, continuing his efforts at eradicating the dreaded Hedgehogs which have been plaguing his people for years was reportedly very pleased with his decision to move into Rumania last year. ‘We thought about it and decided to take a chance and, as it turns out, we found several nests of the nasty critters’. Rumors persist of Hedgehogs fleeting to Sevastopol so clearly his work may not yet be done. “THE POPE’S SERMONS GROWING INCREASINGLY DARK‘ The Pope’s drawing criticism from the clergy with an increasingly dark series of sermons entitled ‘You’ve got a friend in Jesus, but no one else in Europe likes you.’ Unfortunately the Pope was not available for comment on this story. “SULTAN CANCELS GREEK VACATION” Citing internal pressures the Sultan was forced to cancel his planned stay in Greece at the last minute last season. Hoping for a period of rest and relaxation he was abruptly called away. “CZAR RELEASES TELL ALL BOOK ‘FALL OF THE RUSSIAN CIVILIZATION’ TO RAVE REVIEWS” The Czars recent million dollar book deal was initially criticized as ‘too much too soon’ but ended up being right on time as Russia appears headed out of the Empire Building business sooner than anyone might have expected. The book points fingers at just about everyone, everyone but the Czar, though the accuracy of the book is already being questioned. FROM THE ADMINS PRESS AGENT COMES THE FOLLOWING ANNOUNCEMENT ‘FINALIZE NOW! – everything you ever thought you wanted in a game of Diplomacy can now be yours if you only Finalize. Want those pesky retreat phases to fly by? Finalize! Tired of weekend turn advancement taking forever? Finalize! Have no one to talk to and just want the game to be over? Finalize! Legal Disclaimer: advertised experience not typical, individual results may vary.

1905 - The beginning and the End. When it became clear that the WT would not break no matter what was offered the end was in sight. Germany advanced and Italy was losing ground and Turkey could not take enough and grow fast enough to slow anyone down even had he attacked Austria and Italy. The last ditch effort, offering everything to Germany to get him to try for the solo was made and we requested a draw with the ‘out’ powers agreeing to it in the hopes that one of the WT group would either reject or, perhaps, not accept, and that would give us leverage to push the others to break them. Sadly it was not to happen and the game ended suddenly and without fanfare. No Swiss Observer was published in 05 and the closing Edition is included below for everyone’s enjoyment.

EXTRA EXTRA!!! Read All About It in the Swiss Observer! Special Final Edition – Your Source for the Best in Sort-of-Neutral News Coverage. Headlines from this issue: “SWISS OBSERVER EDITOR CALLS IT QUITS” In a startling revelation the Swiss Observer today announced they are closing their doors and this is the final issue. When contacted the Sr. Editor stated “We kept losing money every year, and man giving away those free issues really set us back.” There appears no hope that the beleaguered paper will ever reopen. “ENGLISH PM’s BAND THE TRIPLETS CONSIDERS WORLD TOUR” Citing the recent success of his Band the PM today announced that they are already considering adding tour dates across Europe, Africa and Asia. He is quoted as saying ‘We’ve already dominated the music world and we have not even visited more than 1 of the European capitols. Imagine what we can do if we try!’ Sadly rumors abound that the PM has started dating artist Yoko Ono which may lead to friction with the other members. “GERMAN KAISER TAKES A VACATION” The Kaiser today announced his intention to continue vacationing in Galicia. Though the Kaiser was too busy to talk his press secretary reported ‘The Kaiser is resting up in the Archduke’s vacation home and hopes to return to work soon, but not too soon.’ The Kaiser faced some questions from his advisors this year who recommended he consider enchancing Germany’s position in Europe but the Kaiser deflected that criticism pointing out how well Germany has done recently under his guidance. “FRENCH PRESEDENTE BLAMES LANGUAGE BARRIER FOR DIPLOMATIC SHORTCOMINGS” Le Presidente today announced that he has decided to start taking English lessons and has recently purchased a series of tapes on learning the language. When contacted he stated ‘Well I was the only person who spoke French and I did not realize that would lead to so many problems. I had better address that before I go out conquering Europe again!’. “ARCHDUKE PROPERTIES UP FOR SALE” The Archduke today confirmed rumors that he is busy in the real estate market. When contacted he said ‘I recommend everyone in Austria, well what is left of Austria, sell and move away. Unless you want to learn to speak German it will be tough going around here for the foreseeable future.’ The Archduke confirmed the recent sale of his vacation home in Galicia to the Kaiser and the deal was so good it was reportedly described as ‘a steal’. “THE POPE CONSIDERS PRAYER HIS FINAL OPTION‘ The Pope is rumored to have sequestered himself in his cathedral and taken to Prayer in an effort to gain the Lords aid against the enemies of the church. An unnamed Cardinal, when contacted, stated ‘We had such high hopes for our boating crews but, apparently, manning them with Priests and Alter boys led to some unfortunately consequences that we simply could not have expected. We’re sending these boating crews to America to avoid the bad press that will surely follow.’ Rumors of church settlements being offered to the young sailors is, at this time, unfounded. “SULTAN PARTIES IN SEVASTAPOL” The Sultan has brought together a large and star studded group in Sevastapol for a series of End of the Year parties. When contacted the Sultan would only say ‘We’re going to party like its 1899!!! Invitation only of course.’ The Turk, not yet having hosted a concert of the Western Triplets, hopes to form his own boy band next year, if he can find the Czar, and has already named it the Jugger Nots. “CZAR APPEARS ON OPRAH AMID MOUNTING LITERARY CRITICISM” The Czars recent book deal was going well until the recent fact checking efforts from readers around Europe resulted in cries of outrage from fans. The Czar apologized to friends and fans alike on the show for the liberties he appears to have taken with the truth about his downfall and the intentions of his time as Czar. He promised to make up for it all though with the recently announced sequel to be titled After Action Report and which is said to feature the true account of Russia’s rise and fall. The publisher of his first book announced there will be no refunds from the sale that book. “BYE BYE” The staff of the Swiss Observer wish to thank your loyal, and not so loyal, fans. We could not have done this without you!
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Diplomat » 27 Feb 2009, 01:17

mdmuff said:

After the Spring 1901 moves it was apparent there was a WT & a Jugger in play

I'm interested in that. The Spring moves saw England and France leave the Channel open as would be expected if they were allied. As well as moving to Iberia, France moved to Burgundy. My moves were standard opening moves for Germany (Den, Ruh, Kie), so I am curious as to why you believed that there was a WT rather than just an E/F alliance?

Would it have been better to have had England open to Eng Ch or was it the communication rather than the moves?

With Austria moving to Sil in the Fall, you and he had clearly taken a view by then. I was then very surprised with the change of tack in Spring 02 when Russia became Austria's target.

See above, but it was the moves. Those could not be hidden. France was clearly headed south. England was headed north clearly. Germany saying he was fearful? Nah... I saw the triple immediately and the Jugger before they even moved and was right on both counts.
Diplomat

Postby camroc » 27 Feb 2009, 02:09

Great report Diplomat - the fact that all of the issues are so clear in your mind is a testament to how complete an understanding you had of the game as it progressed. We got lucky that you couldn't pull R/T together quickly at the start and we got a good jump on the game.

Thanks for the Swiss Observer postings - they encouraged everyone to hit the Finalise Orders button in the Fall - and your 1905 posting has finished it off in style!

You are probably right that I should have pushed for additional growth but as I was getting very limited communication from E/F, particularly in the first couple of years, I was never sure how E/F saw me (was it really a triple or was it going to become just E/F?) so I was constantly working to keep their trust.
camroc

Timezone: GMT

Postby mdmuff » 27 Feb 2009, 02:44

To add a little additional description to Diplomat's post about the moves giving it away,

It would have been more convincing if there was a bounce in Burgandy. While the moves you opened with are "standard" openings, they are used often when neutral or friendly with France. Your opening messages were fearing an alliance between E/F, yet you didn't move to stop France into Burgandy. The anit-Russian fleet movement wasn't greatly telling, as most Germany's would do that, but not bouncing Burgandy let me know you had discussed it with France.

There also was an unwillingness to commit to a move by me against France, which if you were fearful of them being allied you would have encouraged during the negotiations.

Like Diplomat said, the openings shed the light on what we had been fearing.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Diplomat » 27 Feb 2009, 05:32

Players can lie but moves cant , there was no fear of attack in the moves int the west
Diplomat

Postby bitwise » 27 Feb 2009, 09:41

Diplomat wrote:Suddenly, and without warning, the Swiss Observer made its appearance in the game. I thought this might be a deal breaker and ID me since Bit was not in the game but, what the heck, it was fun and added some spice. I tried to write it so that no one would see a country bias and I’m glad to see that Camroc thought AQ in Russia had done it. It was a mixture of info and intel I had, rumors, and plain yellow journalism.

How did you know, that I was not in the game too? :?
Are you saying that I need to take up role-playing in anon games too?
bitwise

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Diplomat » 27 Feb 2009, 18:52

For some reason I thought you were not in the tournament... but you are! Hah, I could have been publishing your paper for you to read, or even competing Observers! How funny. :)
Diplomat

Postby DRifteR » 01 Mar 2009, 09:06

I just skimmed the AARs. Sounds like a good game, although much quicker than normal I guess with the western triple. Cool
DRifteR

Postby Diplomat » 02 Mar 2009, 03:41

Once it became clear that the WT would not break then the sooner the game finished the better it was for the other powers in the tie breaker points system.
Diplomat

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN