Tournament Assignments

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tournament Assignments

Postby Stander » 08 Oct 2008, 01:50

Just to confuse matters further...do you use Swiss Pairings?

Magic the Gathering players will understand this question.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby bitwise » 08 Oct 2008, 09:32

Round 3 and 4 will be really fierce, as many will need solos to hope to progress.
bitwise

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Dar Krum » 08 Oct 2008, 15:17

Stander wrote:Magic the Gathering players will understand this question.

<sigh> Since I started playing Dip online, I have played maybe three games of Magic. I must say, Dip is much cheaper.

- Yep, I'm much cheaper than a good MtG deck. Dip -
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Spitfire » 10 Oct 2008, 11:49

bitwise wrote:Round 3 and 4 will be really fierce, as many will need solos to hope to progress.

I don't know if it will be MUCH different, but we will all have the amount of points we want to achieve in the backs of our heads! But yeah, we'll not know who our neighbours are, so our neighbour could be someone who solo'd his last two games... hehe, so really we should be expecting stabs both now and then!

The reason I wonder if it will be different is cause these rounds are not over, and I would say many people may stab there allies in order to get 12 points if they get a decent chance
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Postby Samarkand » 10 Oct 2008, 12:03

Spitfire wrote:The reason I wonder if it will be different is cause these rounds are not over, and I would say many people may stab there allies in order to get 12 points if they get a decent chance

I trully hope there will be some nasty stabs in the games...
On that day we’ll say to Hell: “Have you had enough?”
And Hell will answer: “Is there more?”

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Eat that, Edi Birsan :)
Samarkand

Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Spitfire » 10 Oct 2008, 12:08

Just looking over them all now... Quite a few have several places which would provide a really decent chance to stab. We shall have to see!

Some of them are looking very messy too... While one or two are showing real clarity of power.
Spitfire

Postby Samarkand » 10 Oct 2008, 22:43

I also went through the games and used my little Excel spreadsheet to check on the progress of every player. I made the following conclusions based on looking at six of the games that seemed less messy:

NOTE OF CAUTION: While I can see some alliances, I am not aware of the diplomatic situation in all but one game. I base my analysis on... SC-count which is mostly entertaining rather than realistic. I have to repeat that I use only 6 of the 8 games.

1. The bulk of players have one good game and one not so good.
2. There are only a couple of players who are doing well in their both games.
3. If those games are finished right at that moment, we'll have almost everybody on the same level.
4. From 1-3 I can deduct that Round 3 and 4 will be crucial. Especially after I see who will play with whom. Hell, one of the boards may as well be a Final Board, which means some of the "top players" might lose their chances for the Big Final there :twisted:

This tournament is made to be a test of your Diplomacy skills. Throw away the Top 10 list and let's see if you stand by your scores! Make it to the Final Board and you'll be acknowledged as one of the Masters in PlayDiplomacy.com! Win the Final and you'll be The One! Buy me a beer and I'll rig the tourney! Ouch, that was supposed to be secret :?

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Samarkand

Postby Spitfire » 11 Oct 2008, 01:32

I was debating whether to offer or not... but in light of the whole t-shirt design thing for teamPLAY, I figure I'll step up and offer a rewarding signature customized for each final table member. How does that sound?
Spitfire

Postby Samarkand » 11 Oct 2008, 01:54

I was thinking of designing "awards" and stuff but if you want to try it - go ahead.
I'm fed up with InDesign and Photoshop :D

Samarkand

Postby Spitfire » 11 Oct 2008, 02:03

Heh, well most of what I'm doing for work is in that type of line, so the offer is there...
Spitfire

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN