Round 1 and 2 Games

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Round 1 and 2 Games

Postby Master Radishes » 23 Sep 2008, 09:54

I have definitely noticed the change in mindset in my games. Everyone is energized, talkative, thinking, and all around scaring the hell out of me - this ain't going to be easy. :)

But yeah, I don't remember a game where the diplomacy has flown so thick and fast since...well, World Dip. It's refreshing.
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1172
Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 23 Sep 2008, 11:06

Definitely a changed mindset, this is classic risk aversion, no one wants to risk too much in case they are the first out in that particular game. Everyone is talking alliance and looking to be there when the draw, oops I mean declare victory button is pushed.

This begs the question... how many points do you think you need to get to make it to the final table? Is a single Solo good enough? 18 points, 24? More? Everyone is max 48 points, if you got 24 points, 2 out of 4 solos, I would think that is a very good showing, but what do you guys think?
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Samarkand » 23 Sep 2008, 11:18

Don't forget about the second scoring system, Detour98f, which will be used to break ties. A 4 way-draw with 15 SCs there is worth more than a 2-way with 13
On that day we’ll say to Hell: “Have you had enough?”
And Hell will answer: “Is there more?”

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Eat that, Edi Birsan :)
Samarkand

Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Diplomat » 23 Sep 2008, 11:21

How about a 2 way 17 :-)
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Spitfire » 23 Sep 2008, 12:09

Well I think the refreshing diplomacy we are getting may die a little in games 3 and 4 when someone may give up cause of their position.

But seriously too... Points wise? Every game has a maximum of 12 points to give, each player a maximum of 48, but the difference between the final table and the rest I believe will be huge. Some will have no points, others will have a small amount from small draws...

I think a solo and a 3 way may be enough... But a solo and 2 double draws is what I am aiming for. 24 points should do me I think...

There are four games per round right? 28 players? So four games per round is 12 x 4, then for 4 rounds you multiply by four again.

So, a total of 192 points is possible in all games thats a prize pool that is dispersed to 28 players. Figuring you want to be in the top 7 out of 28 is harder though. And I'm leaving to go to an interview right now so I dont have time to work it out... hehe

I think a potential half of those points will go spread out to most of those players in draws. But I have been thinking that most people will want to solo at least once to make sure they have a good chance... But from what i can gather, most will be safe at the start, wanting to go for draws at the beginning and get some points on the board. It will be harder not knowing how you stand in the rest of the board...

Sam, can you do a leadership board, give everyone their letter and then post up the leadership board using the letters for our names? That way we know at a glance where we ar ein relation to others? Even if we dont know who they are?
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Postby Samarkand » 23 Sep 2008, 12:27

After Round 1 and 2 are over I will put a score table.
Now, I don't expect more than 1 or 2 players to guarantee their position in the final table after round 1 and 2. Even when 3 and 4 are over, there will be a few front-runners, a few people lagging behind and a mass of players with similar scores. That mass of players will determine several of the top table spots. Also keep in mind that all qualification games will end in 1915.

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Samarkand

Postby Spitfire » 23 Sep 2008, 12:34

Oh rats... I forgot that. Heh, so solo's may not be as possible as it would be if we had all the time in the world.

Oh and not sure if this was said, is the last table anon?

I know it will be in the game, but you wont actually tell us WHICH seven are in the final?
Spitfire

Postby Samarkand » 23 Sep 2008, 12:42

You will know which seven will be on the final table but not who is playing which country.

Samarkand

Postby Spitfire » 23 Sep 2008, 12:46

Can I ask that not to be the case?

I only say it, cause the TOTAL anon game that I am having now is awesome.

For instance, If I know MR and Dip are in the final table, it may change exactly how I approach the game? It may be in a small way, but it may seriously effect the game since some of us know each other so well that if the choice of which player it possibly is is no longer out of 27 candidates but 6, it can be easy to figure out sometimes the players you know...
Spitfire

Postby Samarkand » 23 Sep 2008, 13:06

For that to happen, I should post no scores untill the final board is over.

Samarkand

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN