Round 1 and 2 Games

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Round 1 and 2 Games

Postby Samarkand » 14 Sep 2008, 14:45

Guys, the games for round 1 were created. Their names are:

Cossack
Grenadier
Bullfighter
Hussar

The games for round 2 were also created. Their names are:

Marksman
Roundshield
Gunner
Viking

In up to a half an hour I will send you the passwords and the name of the games you are playing. Since I am not playing and for organizational purposes (such as keeping track of scores and progress, dealing with complaints, etc.) I will ask you to send me the countries you are playing in each round. I will keep this information confidential.
On that day we’ll say to Hell: “Have you had enough?”
And Hell will answer: “Is there more?”

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Eat that, Edi Birsan :)
Samarkand

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Round 1 and 2 Games

Postby Diplomat » 14 Sep 2008, 14:56

Kudos to Samarkand and thanks for setting this up and being willing to sit out as well so it can get off the ground.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Samarkand » 14 Sep 2008, 15:27

Thanks!
Guys, I messed up a little so I will use the letter schedule for Round 3 to play Round 2. In Round 3, I'll use the schedule of Round 2 so it will be all right ;)

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Samarkand

Postby Samarkand » 14 Sep 2008, 18:10

A couple of games will start a few days later for a reason I am aware of, so don't worry if your game doesn't start very fast. I will keep an eye on the games and if there is a problem with other games I will take actions. But I don't expect anything wrong.

Samarkand

Postby Diplomat » 15 Sep 2008, 22:05

Go Grenadiers
Diplomat

Postby MisticX » 16 Sep 2008, 02:50

please delete that last post

i suggest we institute the Zero Tolerance in this Tournament.

do not mention to anyone what games you are playing.
that is the first step to saying what country you are (no mention to the poster, i am 101% sure he won't)
then that is the opening to starting to collaborate with other countries.

also, please do not sign your countries.
when you send messages please sign yourselves as Switzerland(or whatever country you play), and not like MisticX.

there has been way too much work involved in this, to worth it be screwed.
kudos to Sam and the rest of the organizers, and kudos to all the players that know how to respect that.
MisticX

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sroca » 16 Sep 2008, 04:10

I'm glad I played an anonymous game right before this because I accidentally signed my name TWICE. :( But I have made sure to make no mistake in the tournament games so far. ;)
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Samarkand » 16 Sep 2008, 07:39

MisticX wrote:do not mention to anyone what games you are playing.
that is the first step to saying what country you are (no mention to the poster, i am 101% sure he won't)
then that is the opening to starting to collaborate with other countries.

Hehe, Diplomat is not in Grenadier. Or, maybe he is? Does he just congratulate the game to be the first one to start? Or he hopes he have a success in Grenadier? I guess only me and him knows that :D

And, yes, if I see him posting he is in the game X, he will suffer a destiny worse than calling he is pretty in pink...

Samarkand

Postby Diplomat » 16 Sep 2008, 08:40

Isn't he... pretty in pink!

Samarkand has got it right MisticX, I was cheering on the start of the 1st tournament game and thats it. Not saying that I am in that game, or that I am not in that game.

And of course please don't ask me to delete my own post or try to school me. I have a Master of Radishes to do that for me ;)
Diplomat

Postby Lbohh » 16 Sep 2008, 14:37

I would like to reflect on my experience playing an anonymous PP game.

1. Noboby is eager to reveal their own identity on purpose. Nobody wants to do that.
2. Some people are overly afraid that others are cheating. I found out about one player in the PP game when he posted to the shoutbox that if someone is found to be using other means of communication, that person will be labeled a cheater for the times to come. And when I visited him the same day he said that he suspects X for cheating because he said Y in the shoutbox. Well dude, your information was not correct, but now I know which country you are playing in the game.
3. Even if you say something in the shoutbox under your own country's name instead of Anon by mistake, you should not automatically assume that everybody then knows who you are. A player in my game wrote in the shoutbox: "Everyone kill Austria a.k.a. Lbohh!". Then he wrote: "Darn, it was meant to be Anon". Then he contacts me in the MSN Messenger, saying that he is sorry for having ruined the game. Darn it - if you have revealed some info that someone else should not know, don't make it worse by saying that it was you who said it.
4. Even if you think that your identity has been revealed, don't reveal it to everyone! I was teasing the same player in a pub when there were other people in the company. I could do that because I was quite certain there were no other people playing in the game present. Well, he did not know the people so well. So he went home and wrote into shoutbox: "Last night in the pub Lbohh told everyone that I am Germany. I think that everyone should know it...". Hah!
5. Don't say things like: "I have got four orders to give".
6. Learn not to give away info when you are asked which is your country in the game. I have been asked that question for 30 times and I have not revealed anything yet.
7. As you see, it's not the cheaters we should be afraid of, but ourselves and our irrational behavior and fears.
Lbohh

Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN