THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Finished

Team tournament using pairs of players in a game. TD: Pedros. Winners: We slept with all your mothers.

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS

Postby GQuinner » 28 Apr 2010, 03:21

Thundercats! Hoooo!

I think you needed to grow up in the 80s to be part of the twenty-thirty team.

I remember danger mouse and his sidekick Penfold.

More trivia: In the states, danger mouse aired on Nickelodeon. What show came on after danger mouse?

Oh, and count me in as a reserve for the In-Betweeners!
GQuinner

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (966)
All-game rating: (969)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby theepum » 28 Apr 2010, 03:31

GQuinner wrote:Thundercats! Hoooo!

I think you needed to grow up in the 80s to be part of the twenty-thirty team.

i was born in '84. does that count?
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
theepum

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby WarSmith » 28 Apr 2010, 06:53

theepum wrote:well i'm 26 and i know nothing of the thundercats or danger mouse... apparently i missed out... :roll:

Ok, seems like Canada missed out. I checked with my brother who is 26 and he remembers them both vividly, although he also mumbled something about Raccoons - that better for you?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1724
All-game rating: 1716
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Captain Twig » 28 Apr 2010, 09:06

Yes, I know that. Penfold. He was always scared...

I can't beleive I missed thundercats, I heard of it but I never really saw it anywhere...
Y
o
u
a
r
e
c
o
m
p
l
e
t
e
l
y
w
a
s
t
i
n
g
y
o
u
r
t
i
m
e

Oh yeah!
Captain Twig

Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT

THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Rules questions

Postby Pedros » 28 Apr 2010, 16:14

It's been agreed that I act as GM for these games, so what's below is the format and scoring system, based upon the Doubles tournament - that seems to be agreed as a good model.

In the Doubles tournament there were some pretty serious rules about maintaining anonymity, not surrendering, and so on, and points penalties have been imposed on people who broke them. I'm hoping we won't have those problems here, so I've left those rules out! But in this match, unexpected surrenders would affect not only your own team's chances but the others as well, so I hope there won't be any. And similarly, announcing to the other players who you are and which country is unfair on everybody else.

1. Format
There will be three games each involving two players from each team playing as a pair. No team will play the same combination of countries in more than one game. Pairs will not know which countries the other teams are playing, nor which pairs are up against them.

2. The Games
- Games will be classic Diplomacy.
- Deadlines will be 48/24/24 with Finalise activated.
- Halloween, Christmas and New Year will be exceptions.
- They will be anonymous and No Rank (after all, in-game meta-gaming is a given).
- Each pair will be allocated two random countries, and they can choose who plays which of them. The games will be by country preference and each player enters the name of his/her assigned country in each option box. To make sure that everybody finishes up with the right country I will ask you all to send me a private in-game message in Spring 01 identifying yourself
- One country in each game will be in civil disorder. I will play that country but will only enter Hold and destroy orders to avoid a surrender. I will announce in the Shoutbox at the start of each game which country is in CD.

3. Scoring
- Players will be awarded normal ranking points individually, but points will then be combined for the doubles team (the game is unranked, so you don't get the points towards your ranking!).
- Detour98f would be used to break ties (see below).
- Should a further tie-breaker be needed, number of first places (calculated using Detour98f system) will be used, then 2nd places, then 3rd, then 4th, then 5th, then 6th; positions will be based upon number of SCs for individual players, then time of elimination [when the final unit is destroyed] (so a player eliminated in 1905 will be placed ahead of a player eliminated in 1904), then number of units destroyed in the season of elimination (so if 2 players are eliminated in Fall 1905, and one had two units the start of that season and the other just one, the player with two units will be ranked higher).

4. Specific Rules (a) No player should deliberately disclose the country he is playing, nor the team he is playing for. This doesn't preclude giving information that can be used to work out which team/players are playing which country(ies), and there is no reason why suggestions shouldn't be made to other players about what countries other pairs are playing (it may be misdirection anyway!). Note that any discussion about the game in the Forum is likely to break this rule.
(b) Replacements or substitutes may be used during the game, but I MUST be informed beforehand. If a player has to leave a game for any reason, he or she must warn the captain, who must arrange for a replacement to take over as quickly as possible to prevent anybody else joining and to keep the game going properly.
Detour98f scoring:
- Survive to 1905 = 1 pt (whether eliminated later or not).
- Included in end-of-game draw = 1 pt.
- SC leader scores the difference in pts between her/him and the player(s) in second place (eg Russia has 12 SCs, England 9 SCs means Russia scores 3 pts).
- SC leader scores an additional 4 pts, 2nd place 3 pts, 3rd place 2 pts, 4th place 1 pt.
- If there are ties, then each player scores the lowest points (so if two people finish with 5SCs each, and are third placed on the board, they both score 1pt).

addition following game 1: Where a game ends with a draw between two Build Phases, supply centres captured since the last Build Phase will be taken into account both for Detour98f and tie-breaks using placings

This gives each person a RAW SCORE. The game is then STANDARDISED. This means:
- Find the sum of all RAW SCORES.
- Divide each player's RAW SCORE by the total.
- Multiply this quotient by 100 to get a percentage (I will round to the first decimal place).
- This will be the DP score for each player.

A solo however scores 110 DPs and everyone else scores 0 DPs.

If you have any questions about these rules, let me know.
Last edited by Pedros on 06 Jun 2010, 14:35, edited 3 times in total.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby WarSmith » 28 Apr 2010, 18:00

The doubles scoring & rules system is perfect for this show-down.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1724
All-game rating: 1716
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby arthae » 28 Apr 2010, 19:08

Count this oldie in. Come my brothers, lets show these malchicks what real droogies can do. Will put our gullivers together and give 'em what for. Real horror show stuff this is!
If your old enough to remember where thats from, your old enough to be on my team.
talk? Talk. TALK!!! Oldies member, classicists member, and all around good guy.
arthae
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1121)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Cryhavoc » 28 Apr 2010, 20:58

is it clockwork orange?
When without a previous understanding the enemy asks for a truce, he is plotting. Sun Tzu.
Cryhavoc

Standard rating: (1000)

Postby QueenOfHearts » 28 Apr 2010, 21:51

I THINK it will be me and jstott representing the Whippersnappers. Sorry JG, but only 2 this time...
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´QoH`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨Always played, never won!˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´

Thanks to SidneyKidney for my sexy avatar. It has a copyright on it.
QueenOfHearts
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jstott » 28 Apr 2010, 22:03

:(
Do you hear the people sing,
Lost in the valley of the night,
It is the music of a people,
Who are climbing to the light,