THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Finished

Team tournament using pairs of players in a game. TD: Pedros. Winners: We slept with all your mothers.

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Stander » 07 Jun 2010, 21:40

Cryhavoc wrote:Sorry Stander & FLTeacher - i can't agree that anything other than luck of the pairings decided the draw. There was no diplomacy from either of you guys after first year because you didn't need to.

I'd be disinclined to agree to your argument even if it were correct - but you didn't even get this bit right. ;)
The reason you got no communication from me AT ALL - let alone after the first year - was because I wasn't even in this game!
:D

I will concede that as each pair is only pairing one game you could end up with an unbalanced pairing. The CD country also makes a big difference. The good/bad luck does even out over a number of games which is why the Oldies suggested more rounds/games.

We are old and wise. We know these things. You can learn from us. We have already won one game. We are good. :D :D :D

Now off to bed with you - it's far too late for you youngsters to be up at this time of night.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
User avatar
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 23:19
Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Ckrow » 07 Jun 2010, 21:55

I dont think the pairings are as big an issue as was made out. It was obvious from 1901 who was allied with who, we just failed to work together where required for various reasons.

Incidentally, the rules do include options for a 3 player game. Suggested match up is:

Italy - Civil disorder
France - Russia
Germany - Austria
England - Turkey
Ckrow
 
Posts: 130
Joined: 27 Feb 2010, 17:02
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby FLTeacher » 07 Jun 2010, 23:40

Cryhavoc wrote:Sorry Stander & FLTeacher - i can't agree that anything other than luck of the pairings decided the draw. There was no diplomacy from either of you guys after first year because you didn't need to. And as Hax0rz says, once the rest of us had sussed the pairs, its too late.

Get the pairings fair, then randomize, THEN it comes down to diplomacy and strategy. Unless of course you replay the same pairs, with each team rotating each combination - which is the only way to remove luck.

As it says on the front page, Luck should play no part. Which is one of the reasons i spend more time on Diplomacy than i do on any other wargame. Its also the reason Chess remains the ultimate wargame - luck plays no part.

Well the diplomacy was convincing Italy and Russia to support France into Munich and work against Turkey even though it was already known that England and France were a pair.




No diplomacy ... that in it of itself was a piece of diplomatic brilliance! no diplomacy he claims :lol:
FLTeacher
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 29 Sep 2008, 01:34
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Hax0rz » 08 Jun 2010, 02:35

Stander wrote:
Cryhavoc wrote:Sorry Stander & FLTeacher - i can't agree that anything other than luck of the pairings decided the draw. There was no diplomacy from either of you guys after first year because you didn't need to.

I'd be disinclined to agree to your argument even if it were correct - but you didn't even get this bit right. ;)
The reason you got no communication from me AT ALL - let alone after the first year - was because I wasn't even in this game!
:D

I will concede that as each pair is only pairing one game you could end up with an unbalanced pairing. The CD country also makes a big difference. The good/bad luck does even out over a number of games which is why the Oldies suggested more rounds/games.

We are old and wise. We know these things. You can learn from us. We have already won one game. We are good. :D :D :D

Now off to bed with you - it's far too late for you youngsters to be up at this time of night.


The CD does make somewhat of a difference but the fact that there are four countries going after Austria doesn't really help any two countries who are allied within the four.
Furthermore, while the four countries fight over Austria, England and France get all the neutrals they want.

I think E/F is the best combination for pairs because they are so isolated at the start that they can grab many SC's fairly easily before actually attacking a country.

Oh yea, I've got a history summative, French speech, and a science presentation all due this week so I'm gonna be pulling a string of all-nighters.
Sleep sound oldies!
Who's more foolish? The fool that stabs in every alliance he is in? or the fool that gets stabbed in every alliance he is in?
User avatar
Hax0rz
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 21 Oct 2009, 22:10
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby FLTeacher » 08 Jun 2010, 03:23

Hax0rz wrote:The CD does make somewhat of a difference but the fact that there are four countries going after Austria doesn't really help any two countries who are allied within the four.
Furthermore, while the four countries fight over Austria, England and France get all the neutrals they want.

I think E/F is the best combination for pairs because they are so isolated at the start that they can grab many SC's fairly easily before actually attacking a country.

Oh yea, I've got a history summative, French speech, and a science presentation all due this week so I'm gonna be pulling a string of all-nighters.
Sleep sound oldies!

I wouldn't say "England and France get all the neutrals they want". The best play is for France to Belgium, England takes Norway and bounces Germany from taking Holland. Sweden and Denmark go to Germany and Russia. At the end of 1901, England gets 1 build. Not really taking all the neutrals he wants.

Like every country in a regular game, there are advantages and disadvantages with every pair. It still comes down to diplomacy and knowing when to stab.
FLTeacher
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 29 Sep 2008, 01:34
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Cryhavoc » 08 Jun 2010, 20:25

FLTeacher - old & not receptive to new thought. Never mind. Take a sup of your horlicks and keep telling yourself you won because you're clever.
When without a previous understanding the enemy asks for a truce, he is plotting. Sun Tzu.
User avatar
Cryhavoc
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 17:16
Location: Scotland
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby FLTeacher » 09 Jun 2010, 00:13

Cryhavoc wrote:FLTeacher - old & not receptive to new thought. Never mind. Take a sup of your horlicks and keep telling yourself you won because you're clever.

old, not receptive and a GENERATIONS GAME WINNER!!! :lol:

if you don't think it took diplomacy to keep 4 countries from fighting you when you and your teammate are winning the game AND your advantageous alliance had already been revealed, then you must be young & lacking in wisdom.

I am not saying the draw didn't help, but without any diplomatic savvy, the draw will not win you the game. Don't take my word for it, go ask Italy.

PS
Please ship some horlicks over here. I miss that stuff. The last of my stash ran out 3 years ago.
Last edited by FLTeacher on 09 Jun 2010, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
FLTeacher
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 29 Sep 2008, 01:34
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Hax0rz » 09 Jun 2010, 02:37

FLTeacher wrote:
Hax0rz wrote:The CD does make somewhat of a difference but the fact that there are four countries going after Austria doesn't really help any two countries who are allied within the four.
Furthermore, while the four countries fight over Austria, England and France get all the neutrals they want.

I think E/F is the best combination for pairs because they are so isolated at the start that they can grab many SC's fairly easily before actually attacking a country.

Oh yea, I've got a history summative, French speech, and a science presentation all due this week so I'm gonna be pulling a string of all-nighters.
Sleep sound oldies!

I wouldn't say "England and France get all the neutrals they want". The best play is for France to Belgium, England takes Norway and bounces Germany from taking Holland. Sweden and Denmark go to Germany and Russia. At the end of 1901, England gets 1 build. Not really taking all the neutrals he wants.

Like every country in a regular game, there are advantages and disadvantages with every pair. It still comes down to diplomacy and knowing when to stab.


England could very easily bounce Denmark instead. Italy would never go for France in a pair - always Austria and so the Iberians have France written all over them.
France gets 6 Sc's by 1902 and pushes over Germany and Italy with ease. England takes Denmark and even Sweden while Germany is occupied with France and possibly Russia.
Who's more foolish? The fool that stabs in every alliance he is in? or the fool that gets stabbed in every alliance he is in?
User avatar
Hax0rz
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 21 Oct 2009, 22:10
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby FLTeacher » 09 Jun 2010, 04:43

Hax0rz wrote:
FLTeacher wrote:
Hax0rz wrote:The CD does make somewhat of a difference but the fact that there are four countries going after Austria doesn't really help any two countries who are allied within the four.
Furthermore, while the four countries fight over Austria, England and France get all the neutrals they want.

I think E/F is the best combination for pairs because they are so isolated at the start that they can grab many SC's fairly easily before actually attacking a country.

Oh yea, I've got a history summative, French speech, and a science presentation all due this week so I'm gonna be pulling a string of all-nighters.
Sleep sound oldies!

I wouldn't say "England and France get all the neutrals they want". The best play is for France to Belgium, England takes Norway and bounces Germany from taking Holland. Sweden and Denmark go to Germany and Russia. At the end of 1901, England gets 1 build. Not really taking all the neutrals he wants.

Like every country in a regular game, there are advantages and disadvantages with every pair. It still comes down to diplomacy and knowing when to stab.


England could very easily bounce Denmark instead. Italy would never go for France in a pair - always Austria and so the Iberians have France written all over them.
France gets 6 Sc's by 1902 and pushes over Germany and Italy with ease. England takes Denmark and even Sweden while Germany is occupied with France and possibly Russia.

In a regular game, where there are no pairings, with a little diplomacy all of Iberia is France's anyway ... and in a pairings game, England wouldn't be able to bounce Denmark. If Germany opened with Kiel -> Holland, France and England would have to work together (one support the other) into Belgium. Therefore making Denmark Germany's 2nd SC of the first year ... putting them even with France's 2 and England's 2 (if France supports England onto the continent).

But what do I know??? After all, I am old and not receptive to new thought ... especially when the old thought works much better. Foolish me!
FLTeacher
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 29 Sep 2008, 01:34
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Maucat » 16 Jun 2010, 08:53

How is the global situation of the 3 games?
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
_______________________________________________________
Platinum Member Classicist
Ambassador
User avatar
Maucat
 
Posts: 527
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 10:51
Location: Roma, Italia
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Between Generations FIN

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest