THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Finished

Team tournament using pairs of players in a game. TD: Pedros. Winners: We slept with all your mothers.

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Finished

Postby Kian » 02 Jul 2010, 19:03

Well done you silver stabbers you!
Back to school for the younkers!
"Tell the truth, and so puzzle and confound your adversaries. ” Sir Henry Wotton

"I'm better pleas'd to make one more,
Than be the death o' twenty." Lines on War - Rabbie Burns
Kian

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby QueenOfHearts » 02 Jul 2010, 19:09

Pedros wrote:Secondly, during the games a couple of people suggested to me that the Doubles Tournament format which we used seemed unfair. Certainly, when I made the original draw, I could see that the Whipersnappers were going to have a tough ride ahead.

Wasn't my game the only game where we had the best chance? (F/G) And still were facing a Juggernaut?

Pedros wrote:but the big difference there was that each pair played three games so that the luck, to some extent at least, evened out.

This would help. Only playing 3 games really hindered any teams chances for total victory, since the pairings, from the outset, almost determined the result of the tournament. If each pair of players played 3 games, it would mean 9 total games, a much more fair result.

Pedros wrote:And do you have any better ideas?

Don't tell each country what country their partner is playing! Then you actually have to do some diplomacy! In the game I played, I initially talked to England, maybe 3 times. Austria a couple of times. France a couple of times just to decide what we would do to start. Then we just exchanged moves. If we didn't know who our partners were, then we would have a better chance as a whole, and it wouldn't come down to luck. (This is how the DOubles Tournament works, no?)

Sorry if it seems like I'm griping and complaining, but...Good Job Oldies. Well Played.
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´QoH`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨Always played, never won!˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´

Thanks to SidneyKidney for my sexy avatar. It has a copyright on it.
QueenOfHearts
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Stander » 02 Jul 2010, 22:54

QueenOfHearts wrote:Good Job Oldies. Well Played.

I believe that this complete thrashing of everyone else is simply and purely down to brilliant captaincy of the oldies.

:)
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Game 3 ends: Final plac

Postby theepum » 03 Jul 2010, 23:42

Pedros wrote:The third and final game in the Challenge has now finished, with a 2-way draw between England (Maucat) and France (FLTeacher), both of We slept with all your mothers. Congratulations to them. Jobson15 (Germany) and cryhavoc (Turkey) represented the War Age, and ckrow (Italy) and hax0rz (Russia) represented the Whippersnappers. Austria was in Civil Disorder.

England-France were always going to be a difficult pair to beat, and so it proved. This means an overwhelming victory for We slept with all your mothers (on behalf of the Oldies).

I am starting an AAR at viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14163

Points scored in this game

We slept with... ..12 ranking points....61.11 Detour98f points...one first, one joint second place
War Age............0..................... 22.22...................... one joint second, one fifth place
Whippersnappers..0......................16.66........................one fourth, one sixth place

Final challenge table

We slept with... ..30 ranking points..166.9 Detour98f points...three first, one second and one joint second, one fourth
War Age............0.......................43.3........................one second and one joint second, three fifth, one sixth
Whippersnappers..6.......................32.5......................one first, one third, two fourth, two sixth

am i missing something here? my game (game #2) war age finished 1st and second, italy having the solo and england with 10ish sc's
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
theepum

Timezone: GMT-8

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Game 3 ends: Final plac

Postby an49 » 04 Jul 2010, 15:31

theepum wrote:am i missing something here? my game (game #2) war age finished 1st and second, italy having the solo and england with 10ish sc's

Yes, that Game was the last on finishing and the one the oldies didn't win (blame to me)
but really well played congrats
Member of The Classicists. a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs and unforced surrenders.
an49
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Pedros » 04 Jul 2010, 18:02

Is there a smiley for utterly, totally embarrassed?! Well spotted theepum. What I've done is count Game 3 twice; it's me that's missing something.

And the Oldies have already consumed all the Champagne!!

More later
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Game 2 ends: Final plac

Postby Pedros » 04 Jul 2010, 18:27

Major correction to previously advertised result!

The third and final game in the Challenge has now finished, with a solo win for theepum (Italy) of War Age, and Captian Twig also of War Age (England) second. Congratulations to them. Telenoth (Germany) and jazzguy87 (Russia) represented the Whippersnappers, and an49 (France) and richkarna (Turkey) represented We slept with all your mothers. Austria was in Civil Disorder. See viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12768&p=187021#p187021 for points scored and final Challenge table

I am starting an AAR at viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14163

Points scored in this game

War Age............12 ranking points....110 Detour98f points.....one first, one second place
We slept with... ..0.........................0 ...................... one third, one joint fourth place
Whippersnappers..0.........................0 ........................two joint fourth place

Final challenge table

We slept with... ..18 ranking points..105.8 Detour98f points...two first, one second one third and one joint fourth
War Age............12...................131.3........................one first, two second, two fifth, and one sixth
Whippersnappers..6....................15.8......................one first, one third, one fourth and two joint fourth, one sixth[/quote]

So the Oldies retain the overall victory, but by a somewhat less impressive margin. And War Age came top under Detour98f scoring. Interesting!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Game 2 ends: Final plac

Postby theepum » 04 Jul 2010, 19:01

Pedros wrote:Major correction to previously advertised result!

We slept with... ..18 ranking points..105.8 Detour98f points...two first, one second one third and one joint fourth
War Age............12...................131.3........................one first, two second, two fifth, and one sixth
Whippersnappers..6....................15.8......................one first, one third, one fourth and two joint fourth, one sixth

So the Oldies retain the overall victory, but by a somewhat less impressive margin. And War Age came top under Detour98f scoring. Interesting!

thats more like it, thanks pedros!
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
theepum

Postby Stander » 04 Jul 2010, 22:46

You lot still lost.

:D
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.

Postby theepum » 05 Jul 2010, 02:00

depends how you look at it, go put on your glassed old man... only solo counts for something... haha
theepum

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Between Generations FIN