THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Finished

Team tournament using pairs of players in a game. TD: Pedros. Winners: We slept with all your mothers.

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby theepum » 21 Jun 2010, 01:50

Maucat wrote:How is the global situation of the 3 games?


i would also like to know, maybe a quick summary (not of the teams - more of the general situation) of each game...

there is 1 done right? and the remaining two are still playing it out?
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
User avatar
theepum
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 29 Jun 2008, 07:54
Location: Vancouver, BC
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Stander » 24 Jun 2010, 00:30

I'd give you an update but I wouldn't want to give anything important away.

Let's just say that the Oldies rule supreme.
:)
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
User avatar
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 23:19
Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Game 1 now finished

Postby Pedros » 24 Jun 2010, 10:44

The second game in the Challenge has now finished, with a 4-way draw between Turkey (Stander) and Russia (Big Orange) of We slept with all your mothers and France (jstott) and Germany (QueenofHearts) of the Whippersnappers. Congratulations to them. Iamnobody (England) and WarSmith (Austria) of the War Age were the other pair. Italy was in Civil Disorder and managed a first for this format, surviving and actually scoring Detour98f points!

War Age, separated against two neighbouring pairs, always faced an uphill struggle. But it was interesting that the Juggernaut pair couldn't get to a solo or 2-way.

I am starting an AAR at viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14011&start=0.

Points scored in this game

We slept with... .....6 ranking points.........42.6 Detour98f points...one joint first, one fourth place
War Age...............0..........................48.15......................one fifth, one sixth place
Whippersnappers.....6...........................3.7........................one joint first, one third place

Challenge table after two games


We slept with... .....18 ranking points.......105.8 Detour98f points...two first, one second, one fourth place
War Age...............0..........................21.1........................one second, two fifth, one sixth place
Whippersnappers.....6..........................15.8........................one first, one third, one fourth, one sixth place
Last edited by Pedros on 27 Jun 2010, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
User avatar
Pedros
 
Posts: 12465
Joined: 25 Jan 2009, 12:59
Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Pedros » 24 Jun 2010, 10:47

Stander wrote:I'd give you an update but I wouldn't want to give anything important away.

Let's just say that the Oldies rule supreme.
:)

Solo for the 'Snappers in the final game might cause you to think again Stander!!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
User avatar
Pedros
 
Posts: 12465
Joined: 25 Jan 2009, 12:59
Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - 2 of 3 games finished

Postby Big Orange » 24 Jun 2010, 12:18

Here's why the Jugg didn't solo: we were fighting 4 opponents from the start. The ENG/AUS team refused to attack FRA/GER until way too late in the game. They hardly engaged in any Diplomacy at all until with us they were doomed.

I'm amazed we even got a draw, and congrats to Stander for selling the "stalemate line" to the opponents. If the positions were reversed, I never would have accepted that draw. FRA/GER easily could taken an 18th center in Rome, and then "all" they needed to do would have been to juggle centers so that one partner, probably FRA, got all 18. Stander doesn't think that was doable, and bless him for selling that to the opponents. I would have given it a shot, though. Plus, they had extra units to spare, and I think they could have broken the so-called stalemate line.

So rack this one up as a big win for the diplomatic skills of Stander.
Big Orange
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Posts: 95
Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 01:27
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - 2 of 3 games finished

Postby Stander » 24 Jun 2010, 14:05

Big Orange wrote:So rack this one up as a big win for the diplomatic skills of Stander.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
User avatar
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 23:19
Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Stander » 24 Jun 2010, 14:11

Pedros wrote:
Stander wrote:I'd give you an update but I wouldn't want to give anything important away.

Let's just say that the Oldies rule supreme.
:)

Solo for the 'Snappers in the final game might cause you to think again Stander!!

Any team with QoH in it is doomed to failure. :D
The guys couldn't even stop himself from (albeit unintentionally) letting us know what country he was.
I mean. Who else puts their name at the bottom of a message in an anonymous game?
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
User avatar
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 23:19
Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby QueenOfHearts » 24 Jun 2010, 15:00

Stander wrote:
Pedros wrote:
Stander wrote:I'd give you an update but I wouldn't want to give anything important away.

Let's just say that the Oldies rule supreme.
:)

Solo for the 'Snappers in the final game might cause you to think again Stander!!

Any team with QoH in it is doomed to failure. :D
The guys couldn't even stop himself from (albeit unintentionally) letting us know what country he was.
I mean. Who else puts their name at the bottom of a message in an anonymous game?

I thought it was sent to Italy, Dammit! :lol:

Anyway, I DIDN'T think it was possible to finish as a solo france. I couldn't see how that was possible, otherwise I didn't think I would have accepted the draw.
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´QoH`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨Always played, never won!˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´

Thanks to SidneyKidney for my sexy avatar. It has a copyright on it.
User avatar
QueenOfHearts
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Posts: 4650
Joined: 18 Jun 2009, 19:44
Location: (F) Mos (sc)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby Stander » 24 Jun 2010, 15:25

QueenOfHearts wrote:Anyway, I DIDN'T think it was possible to finish as a solo france. I couldn't see how that was possible, otherwise I didn't think I would have accepted the draw.

I agree. I can't see that there was any safe way of France being able to take all of the Germany centres without letting me and Russia through the stalemate line.
You could get 18 as a pair no problem, but just couldn't get 18 for one of you only. Hence the 4 way draw.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
User avatar
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 23:19
Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby FLTeacher » 24 Jun 2010, 20:47

Stander wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:Anyway, I DIDN'T think it was possible to finish as a solo france. I couldn't see how that was possible, otherwise I didn't think I would have accepted the draw.

I agree. I can't see that there was any safe way of France being able to take all of the Germany centres without letting me and Russia through the stalemate line.
You could get 18 as a pair no problem, but just couldn't get 18 for one of you only. Hence the 4 way draw.

I have only briefly looked at the game, but I think France could have broken through Ionian to win the game. Rome and Naples could have been taken by France because of the Italian civil disorder. At that point, France would have had 3 ships focused on the Ionian and there was only 2 ships defending from the Turks/Russians. Maybe I am wrong, but from a quick glance I think Turkey and Russia are very lucky to get out alive -- especially with the opening moves of England/Austria.
FLTeacher
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 29 Sep 2008, 01:34
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Between Generations FIN

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron