How do you promote a classicist game

General stuff.

Moderators: Buachaille, JonS

How do you promote a classicist game

Postby dib » 16 Jul 2014, 13:16

I can only say i have played one classicist game so far but it was very good one. To that end I was trying to start another here. Classicist group is a great way of ensuring higher quality games. There are a steady stream of applicants but not that many games really. The League thing works a bit but shows how few games there are.

I have 3 players who want to play in the game
85752. Classical Christobel 211 which is available. I wont miss the opp to shameless promote this game (pm me for the password) ==Game is 211Random Country allocation Classicists Only sorry

The reason for this post was trying to think of ways to promote it, I thought that I might PM some members of the four classicist groups. However I found there is no classicist group in the PM interface as there is for the oldies group.

I am not suggesting spamming everyone's inbox uninvited but could we have an email group with opt in and opt out option? This could be added as a question when you apply to join or as a one of off assuming if a group could be added.

Incidentally I was comparing the list in the PM emails with members in the group I noticed that there are quite a few members of the classicists who dont seem to have active accounts at all any more.

Any other ideas for promotion?
dib
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1745
All-game rating: 1847
Timezone: GMT

Re: How do you promote a classicist game

Postby Buachaille » 16 Jul 2014, 13:43

I found that posting in the Classicist games section didn't get much pick but as soon as I posted in the main games section; it didn't take too long to get games up and running. Open games up to aspiring members made a difference too. I do think a opt in or out 'a new classicist game is available' email list is a good idea though. I'd opt in.

I guess it is the holiday period at the moment and there are quite a few tournaments on at the moment; I'd join but for my commitment to one of them.

Good luck with getting your game started, I'll be creating more games once my involvement in the PDVT is done.
Classicist.
Buachaille
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1635)
Timezone: GMT

Re: How do you promote a classicist game

Postby Alman » 16 Jul 2014, 14:10

I feel your pain.

I found that it helped to repeatedly promote it. Not every day, but about every five to seven days I updated a message that got me back on the homepage. You can go back and see my efforts. I promoted any Classicist games that were in signup at the time and Rshivy also hit the main forum. It took a little but we got them going. But realize that I think all three of those Classicist games are still going so some of us are already tied up. :)
When I get free, I'd love to join another one because I totally agree with the higher quality play observation.

Also, another guy on here, NOS482 regularly hosts three "Dippers" games. I think right now they are all in progress, but when they finish up he'll do three more. Those tend to be pretty high quality too. I often try to join them. Pretty strong competition!

Good luck and thanks for making the effort. I'm sure it will pay off! :D
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
Turkey in "Blitzkrieg" PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Miscellaneous