Accusations of cheating - please clarify

Noticed any suspicious activity? Report it here.

Moderators: Alman, gareth66

Forum rules
Cheaters
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. DO NOT POST BEFORE READING THIS: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54352
2. Any Post made to influence a game is cheating and may cause You to be removed from the game.
3. DO NOT put the names of the players involved in the TITLE of the post. They can be given in the post, if necessary.
If the game is Anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, send a Private Message to the Cheater-hunters group.

Accusations of cheating - please clarify

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 30 Mar 2020, 17:11

Hello.

I've been accused of cheating (meta-gaming) in private messages in a game, between myself and my accuser, and my accuser and at least one other player.

The rules make very clear that public accusations are not allowed, but what's not clear is if a private accusation is a violation of the rules, or if it is in fact, allowed. I can't find anything that addresses that situation here:

viewtopic.php?f=660&t=48784#p817301

Thanks for any clarification.
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Accusations of cheating - please clarify

Postby Malarky » 30 Mar 2020, 18:42

This is absent from the rules for a reason. The guidelines for private messages are found here: Rules for Fair Use under rule 7.

If the accuastion remains private, then there's no problem. However, it becomes a problem if Rules of Fair Play are broken - see Rule 17. If the player making the accusation threatens to report you for the purposes of blackmail.

What it boils down to is that, in private messages, the accusation is not being used to affect the game. If it is made public, without being reported, then that's an issue. Of course, I'm not a mod, so I couldn't say if it has been reported or not... and I probably wouldn't, anyway, while it was being investigated. What you receive in a private message it pretty much left for you to deal with, unless it's something extreme.

It might have been better to raise this privately with the Mods group via PM. There's a Cheater-hunters group and a SITE HELP! group you could have raised it with.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Mar 2020, 21:57

Dolph Shtoss wrote:Hello.

I've been accused of cheating (meta-gaming) in private messages in a game, between myself and my accuser, and my accuser and at least one other player.

The rules make very clear that public accusations are not allowed, but what's not clear is if a private accusation is a violation of the rules, or if it is in fact, allowed. I can't find anything that addresses that situation here:

viewtopic.php?f=660&t=48784#p817301

Thanks for any clarification.

Mr. E is incorrect. Here is the pertinent section of the rules, emphasis added.

8. Messaging Rules
The following rules are on player-to-player or power-to-power messages in a game. Although the main focus will be Ranked and No Rank games, these rules also apply in principle to all game types. However, in Schools games the Teacher will moderate content, and Friends games will be given more leeway to reflect tacit agreement among the friends on what is acceptable between them.
- Members are not allowed to send direct (power-to-power) messages in games repeatedly, ie 'flood' another player's inbox (based on a Mod's assessment)
- Messages should follow the same guidelines as PP, although since they are 'private' Mods will grant more leeway when judging inappropriate content

In other words, because all rules that apply to Public Press also apply to private messages, private accusations of cheating can constitute a violation of the rules; Mods just have much more leeway in determining whether it's crossed a line. I would use this forum's private message system to contact the Mods group (which, when composing a message, you will see in a selection box at the top-right).
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WarSmith » 30 Mar 2020, 23:18

I’d be happy to look into this. PM me!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1754)
All-game rating: (1664)
Timezone: GMT+2

Return to Cheaters