Retreat phase bug (game no.187917) (no bug)

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Retreat phase bug (game no.187917) (no bug)

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 05 Jan 2021, 19:26

Dear whomever it may concern,

My friends and I are playing a game of Diplomacy (game no. 187917). We're fiercely competitive with each other, but also good mates and sporting.

Last turn (Spring 1908), I (Russia, played by user ‘eknightley’) had a bad turn, and two of my units (a fleet in the North Sea and an army in Galacia) were dislodged. Both units had plenty of places they could legitimately retreat to, and yet for some reason (I can only assume a system bug or glitch) they were both automatically destroyed, despite the fact I had neither ordered nor finalised any moves for the retreat phase at all. The units seemed to 'resolve' their destroy orders simultaneously with me logging on to look at the map at 9.45am in the morning, a solid 11 hours before the deadline.

My friends agreed that I would never have made those destroy orders, and so we sportingly voted to pause the game for a couple of days while we contacted you to resolve the issue. Is it possible for you to reset the retreat phase of Spring 1908 so I can have the opportunity to retreat my units rather than destroy them, or is this not possible?

I did try to flag this issue on this forum using my own account – but whatever I try, my password is not accepted, despite the same login details working fine on the main website). I tried to 'email a moderator' to flag up the issue, as per the website’s homepage, but I haven’t yet had a response (I sent the email 04/01/2021 13:35). I also tried to contact the 'Board Adminstrator', but was given an email address that was labelled ‘no-reply’.

Is somebody able to help me out with these issues? Many thanks in advance for your time and attention.
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Retreat phase bug (game no.187917)

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 06 Jan 2021, 18:07

The game resumes again in like 4 hours if we don't press the delay button again... Can an admin at least clarify that this has been read, and whether you are intending to / able to intervene or not? I'd appreciate it, so I can let my friends know. Many thanks.
Use me, don't abuse me.
Dolph Shtoss

Postby Jack007 » 06 Jan 2021, 19:54

Maybe - if your password is not accepted on the forum - you could use the Dolph Shtoss account to PM a moderator, of course indicating your user identity in the message.
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1519
All-game rating: 1619
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby super_dipsy » 07 Jan 2021, 07:42

I'll take a look.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)

Postby super_dipsy » 07 Jan 2021, 07:56

OK, the problem was that when you logged in that morning, you hit Finalize Orders at 09:43:17 and as a result the turn processed immediately. Your units were therefore destroyed because no retreat orders had been issued.

I say 'you', but of course what I really mean is that Finalize Orders was clicked from your signed in account. I suppose it might be possible that you logged on, walked off to get a cup of tea and someone else who has accesss to your computer/phone entered Finalize Orders just to wind you up (you said you all know each other well so it may have been a joke :) ) but whatever the reason, that is why the turn processed and your units were lost.

I realize it was probably just a simple accident on your part, but sadly it is quite messy to try to unpick. Since it is a Friends game though, and it is only returning a couple of units, if you want I can try to put the units back as long as you tell me where you want them to retreat to, but I have to warn you there is a small risk it might screw up the game. Let me know what you guys want to do.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 07 Jan 2021, 08:23

I see you had already responded in the Public Press to confirm you wanted it changed. Thus it is done, fingers crossed it has not screwed the game up :)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Re: Retreat phase bug (game no.187917) (no bug)

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 07 Jan 2021, 18:49

Thank you so much for your help! I can see that my units have returned - however, it's saying my moves are still finalised - moves that I made under the impression that I wouldn't have two extra units with which to defend territories. Is this something that can be sorted or are you unable to sort this out?
Use me, don't abuse me.
Dolph Shtoss

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 07 Jan 2021, 18:59

Oops, just realised you can change orders even after finalising them! Silly potato.
Use me, don't abuse me.
Dolph Shtoss

Postby super_dipsy » 07 Jan 2021, 20:36

:D And remember that once you change an order, it unfinalizes you so if you want to finalize you have to do so once you have put in the new orders.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby ColonelApricot » 07 Jan 2021, 22:09

It's a long time since I can recall a genuine bug in the adjudication process. I am excluding cases like during the DOS attack which was external.

Frequently such as in this case the reports are triggered by a lack of clarity of the finalisation process.

A possible solution would be to enable visibility of finalisation requests to the player. That would reduce the incidence of spurious bug reports.

.. CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 997
All-game rating: 1390

Next

Return to Bugs