Orders Glitch- HELP!

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Orders Glitch- HELP!

Postby joedag420 » 04 Dec 2020, 09:42

I am playing England in Game 185678 and couldn't get my orders finalized before today's Spring 1901 deadline. Earlier this morning I had submitted orders, later modified them, but when I attempted to finalize them 30-45 minutes later, the page froze. I couldn't determine if my orders had gone through, and after waiting another 5 minutes without any response, I signed out and then back on. However, after signing on again, I was unable to open the "orders to fill" window to figure out what was going on. The only option was to try to finalize the orders once again and it appeared to go through this time. Later in the day, after the deadline had passed I learned that all my orders had defaulted to "hold" which is obviously not what I wanted to do in the first phase (Spring 1901).

I have a screenshot photo of my Spring 1901 orders taken before I attempted to submit. Is there a way to change to the correct orders before the next deadline? Thanks!
joedag420

Re: Orders Glitch- HELP!

Postby Malarky » 04 Dec 2020, 11:01

Not a Mod but it is unusual for mods to turn a game back once a deadline has passed, I'm afraid. This is because, once orders have gone through players know what has happened and probably seen things that they shouldn't see until the deadline has passed.

However, not being able to finalise your orders doesn't mean orders don't go through. If you have entered orders, they are entered. Finalise doesn't affect this. You can enter orders without finalising them and they will be accepted. Finalising simply lets the system know that you are happy with the orders you've entered, that you don't intend to change them (although you can change them after they've been finalised). In short, finalising means that you're happy to have the deadline end then and there.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)
Timezone: GMT

Postby joedag420 » 04 Dec 2020, 19:26

Thanks for your reply. Interesting, as you mention, it was also my understanding that my entered orders should have been accepted even if not finalized––but this did not happen. As for turning the game back, this game consists of players who all know each other, and given that this is the first round, I'm quite sure the other players wouldn't object. I'm hoping the Mod will take this into account.
joedag420

Postby Iamnobody » 04 Dec 2020, 20:41

joedag420 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Interesting, as you mention, it was also my understanding that my entered orders should have been accepted even if not finalized––but this did not happen. As for turning the game back, this game consists of players who all know each other, and given that this is the first round, I'm quite sure the other players wouldn't object. I'm hoping the Mod will take this into account.

If this is a friendly game you could have everyone enter holds except you in order to get caught up. It might take more than one phase though.
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw winner
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - 8-way draw winner
Blitzkrieg 4 - UK - Survivor
Iamnobody

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1045
All-game rating: 1061
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby super_dipsy » 05 Dec 2020, 18:28

I don't really understand when you talk about the 'orders to fill' window and it being inaccessible, but the trick is always to remember to click Refresh Orders when you have submitted them. The problem is that when you enter orders, the front end will update but if your connection is a bit dodgy then the orders may not reach the server to be recorded in the orders database. When you click Refresh Orders, it forces the game to go and get the orders currently recorded in the database giving you 100% assurance that you are seeing what will actually be executed.

Winding the game back is a big job, which is why we don't tend to do it. It is also quite error prone. Easiest would be if you all know each other, simply ask the other countries to just submiti holds while you enter your orders. Then you could catch up from your NMR. I hope this helps.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Bugs