Too Many Builds Offered (no bug)

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Too Many Builds Offered (no bug)

Postby Pops2112 » 12 May 2020, 14:02

I know, nice problem to have, but ...

Having taken over a surrendered position where predecessor had not built after some gains, then gained again, I had 4 more S/Cs than units (and I was not Russia). Of course, I could only Build x 3 (and if I had been occupying a home S/C it would have been fewer again). But the system told me 4 x orders to write, and after writing 3 x legit.orders says 1 x order still to write, and it offered a Build on the click-select menu when I clicked on an empty non-home S/C that belongs to me, albeit (correctly) that did not then get saved as an entered order.

Only a minor imperfection, but it might confuse a novice player, and just in terms of site accuracy it would be better if (A) only home S/Cs generated the Build menu and (B) the coding separated properly (1) game status on number of S/Cs (X) and units (Y) owned, and (2) number of Build orders available, taking account of the Build rules that mean that this is not always X - Y.

(I should be clear, this is all standard Dip rules, no fancy variants.)
Pops2112
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1043
All-game rating: 1043
Timezone: GMT

Re: Too Many Builds Offered

Postby UFOash » 12 May 2020, 17:31

I don't think this is really a bug or an issue to be honest. If you've read the basic rules (which everyone should have) you'll know you can't use all your builds that year. This way helps people to know how many builds they have available (even if they can't use them) without having to count.
UFOash

Standard rating: 1244
All-game rating: 1258

Postby Pops2112 » 12 May 2020, 22:54

Thanks, @UFOash. I disagree - ‘My Active Games’ red letters telling me I have 1 order required, and Home page telling me I have orders to write, when I don’t, is a bug (I think) and is what could throw a novice. The game Status list is the master record to show how you are doing (S/Cs owned and units on the map). My issue (and like I said it is a minor irritation, not a big thing) is that the Build mechanics should match the rules.
Pops2112
Premium Member

Postby BlueBorjigin » 13 May 2020, 02:19

Not a bug. This is intentional.

If you want to make a suggestion that, in your view, would improve the site, then there's a place to do that that isn't Bugs.
BlueBorjigin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1175)
All-game rating: (1192)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pops2112 » 15 May 2020, 19:23

OK @BlueBorjigin, I’ll re-post elsewhere - sorry.
Pops2112
Premium Member

Return to Bugs