Join game search not working properly

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Join game search not working properly

Postby uzes90 » 04 Jul 2019, 14:16

Hi-

The problem is that when I try to "join a game" and select search parameters, the "Process Games at Weekends" setting always gets set to "NO". Thus no games are displayed. This only happens with Firefox (V67.0.4) and started around the time the WIA was implemented.

I've hesitated to report this for a while as I thought it was my browser's cookies, but now I'm sure its not that. I say this because it also happens on my Android running Firefox.

It does NOT happen when running MS-Edge nor IE nor Chrome on my laptop
It does NOT happen when running Chrome on my Android.

I had a "saved search" set on Firefox. I have cleared my cookies. I set "Fog" and "Active" games and press "Search". The returned result is No Games and "Process Games at Weekends Only" is set which is why it returned no games. (See screen attached). The Search request changed my paramters :cry:

My guess is that my search parameeters must be saved on the system and not in cookies and something is working properly or else a bug in Firefox?

Oh well, just my 2 cents. I hope I've explained it well enough.

Thanks,
uzes90
Attachments
Join game settings.png
Join game settings.png (330.59 KiB) Viewed 420 times
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1817
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Join game search not working properly

Postby SelhurstPark » 04 Jul 2019, 14:56

I have been unable to find any games matching my search criteria for some time - although if I search through the list of pending games there always seem to be some that should have been 'offered'. It didn't seem important enough to generate a message but now that the issue has cropped up I thought it might be useful to report my own problems.
SelhurstPark
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1178
All-game rating: 1210
Timezone: GMT

Postby super_dipsy » 05 Jul 2019, 06:49

I suspect the problem may be Firefox's new Private Browsing thing. I seemed to get this by default with one of the upgrades recently. On the iPad for example you see a little mask in the top left. Private Browsing in Firefox deliberately erases all trace of you at the end of your session - cookies, browsing history, the lot. So if you are using private browsing, the search facility will never be able to work from saved searches because it will always be removed. I'm not actually sure whether it waits until the end of the session even, it may kill cookies the minute you try to save them.

Just an idea though.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby uzes90 » 05 Jul 2019, 15:24

I dunno.
I am not running the Private Browsing thing.
I did clear my cookies again, reloaded Firefox and things cleared up... but...
Whenever I check NO for "Process games on Weekends" and "Save Search" it filters correctly but resets my setting from "No" to "All". This is the same thing that happened before but in the reverse. Could Playdip not be reading ALL of the cookies, or reading them properly? Is "Process games on Weekends" at the end of the buffer?
So I started checking filter setting boxes to see if they got reset properly... and found that if I check "No Password" it stays set regardless. If I clear it and say "Remember my settings" it does not reset and "No Password" remains checked. Where is that kept in the Playdip cookie buffer? Near "Process games on Weekends"?
How come the Playdip settings come back even after clearing my cookies? This happens for all of my settings.
Is playdip keepng a copy of my cookies?
I still suspect Playdip is not saving/restoring the cookies properly.

I just retested with Edge browser. Now its happening there with the "No Password" setting. Once I set it and save, it always stays set.

-uzes90
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
All-game rating: 1817
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Bugs