Bug in game 134002 (Russia has too many units) [no bug]

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Bug in game 134002 (Russia has too many units) [no bug]

Postby adebruyn666 » 17 Sep 2017, 11:17

Hi,

We're playing a 1900 variant, game #134002, "Boaty McBoat Face", Spring 1910, Orders.

The build phase just finished, and while Russia has only 2 centers left (St Peter and Warsaw), he was able to keep 3 units.

But please, before you raise you arms in the air and complain that you're yet again dealing with a stupid player who can't read the rules and does not understand the specific rules about Siberia in the 1900 variant, hear me out... Siberia is not Russian anymore. It's Turkish. Russia has ONLY 2 centers, yet 3 units.

Following the order of priority, Livonia should be disbanded, OR we should go back one turn and let the Russian player which unit he wishes to disband.
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
adebruyn666

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1402)
All-game rating: (1809)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Bug in game 134002 (Russia has too many units)

Postby StarWatcher009 » 17 Sep 2017, 12:07

Quoted from the rules, "The "Russian Emergency Measures rules” provide that if at any time Russia does not control all of its home centers (but still controls at least one) it can build one unit more than its SC count, and during this time Russia is allowed to build in Siberia. "

You do not need Siberia to build an extra unit.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1406)
Timezone: GMT

Postby adebruyn666 » 17 Sep 2017, 13:08

My apologies, I thought I knew the rule better. The joke is on me.

In a different occasion, I played the 1900 variant where the Siberia zone was used as a "backup" home supply centre, hence was activated as soon as one of the main ones was lost, but the Russian advantage was forfeited as soon as Siberia was lost as well. This variant was more consistent with the explanations given by Baron Powell himself. But you're right, it was not correct at the time, and the current adjudication on playdiplomacy.com is correct.

Please, feel free to raise your arms in the air and blame yet another stupid player for not knowing the rules. ;-)
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
adebruyn666

Standard rating: (1402)
All-game rating: (1809)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby StarWatcher009 » 17 Sep 2017, 13:32

Nah, don't worry. The rules for variants are a) not particularly well explained all the time, and b) hard to find.
StarWatcher009

Postby StarWatcher009 » 17 Sep 2017, 13:34

StarWatcher009 wrote:Nah, don't worry. The rules for variants are a) not particularly well explained all the time, and b) hard to find.

Speaking of which, would it be possible to link the rules for each variant to the join game page?

When I was new, it would take ages to find the rulesets and often I'd only properly read them after I was confused. I remember one time getting the number of centres needed to solo in Versailles wrong, think I'd soloed and then promptly NMR auto-surrendered out of the game.
StarWatcher009

Re: Bug in game 134002 (Russia has too many units) [no bug]

Postby Bromley86 » 19 Sep 2017, 02:46

As SW knows, I've just seen how they do things over on WebDip. There's an awful lot that I don't like about their interface, but their variant link is great.

The (god-awful) games listing hyperlinks the variant name. Click on that, and it takes you to a page (that, as far as I can see, and for some obscure reason, is masked on the main site). But it doesn't just deposit you on that page and leave you to blunder around, it links to the relevant section (e.g. World Diplomacy IX).

I'm on the fence regarding the varied implementations of the descriptions for the variants. Some just point to the official off-site page, only commenting if they've played with the rules (e.g. in Ancient Med they've changed it so a Bal fleet can't convoy), some go into greater detail. They're all clearly formatted, and clearly sectioned though.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 20 Sep 2017, 20:32

adebruyn666 wrote:In a different occasion, I played the 1900 variant where the Siberia zone was used as a "backup" home supply centre, hence was activated as soon as one of the main ones was lost, but the Russian advantage was forfeited as soon as Siberia was lost as well. This variant was more consistent with the explanations given by Baron Powell himself.

Were you playing 1900 during the pre-EMR "Steamroller" era, when he was trying that out? Or do you mean that you misinterpreted his rules for 1900?

Baron's intended interpretation of the Russian EMR is exactly what is implemented here at PlayDip. Unless there's something in the old Steamroller rules, there was never an intention that Siberia could be "lost."

It might be occupied, blocking any build there, but Russia's EMR abilities are only gained or lost based on the number of Russian home centers that Russia currently possesses.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Bugs