Counting Supply Centers

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Counting Supply Centers

Postby Batsman » 23 Mar 2008, 12:52

I've noticed that in the "Statistics" tab, that conquered Supply Centers aren't counted as mine until I've held them through a Fall phase.

This is the correct count with regards to building, but not with regards to winning.
My rulebook says (Section II) "As soon as one Great Power controls 18 Supply Centers, it is said to have "gained control of Europe," and the player representing that Great Power is the winner."

The key word is "control". One simply needs to hold it. The word the rulebook uses for build-phase purposes is "occupy". (Section VIII) To occupy, you need to control a Supply Center in the most recent Fall.

This means we have a bug (and games should be finishing earlier, and less deadlocks), because as soon as a player/takes the 18th SC, even though it be Spring, they should be able to propose and accept victory, even during the Retreat phase.

It should be easy fixed - just get the Statistics tab to update the count of SCs every move, instead of every fall.
Batsman

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT+10

Re: Counting Supply Centers

Postby Chucobo222 » 23 Mar 2008, 16:26

If a supply center belongs to another country, you do not gain "control" of it until after the fall. It will still be under the "control" of the originial country during the spring turn. You do not gain occupation of the supply center until you have a unit in it at the end of a fall phase.
Chucobo222

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby infinity8ball » 23 Mar 2008, 20:35

According to my rules (Wizards of the Coast):

"A country controls a supply center when one if its units occupies that supply center province after a Fall turn has been played and completed."

Pg. 17, Gaining and losing Units Phase
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Batsman » 31 Mar 2008, 05:51

Well, I stand corrected. Thanks guys!
Batsman

Class: Star Ambassador