No New User Verification EMail.

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

No New User Verification EMail.

Postby General Jumbo » 05 Feb 2019, 21:39

I created a new user account more than 36 hours ago, and another about 18 hours ago and I have no verification email on either yet. The accounts exist but I cannot access them until I verify. Is there a problem with the mail server?

(I have checked all spam folders etc. - nothing)

Thanks for any help/info.
General George S. Jumbo
Aspiring Classicist
General Jumbo
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 875
All-game rating: 874
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: No New User Verification EMail.

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 05 Feb 2019, 21:51

So, you should only have one account. Nix the other one.

Are you able to get to your account settings on the website? Certain email domains have a tendency to flag PlayDip confirmation messages as spam, sometimes even automatically deleting them*.

If you have an alternate email address on a different domain, try changing your email to that. Then complete the verification process. Afterward, you should be able to set your email back to what you actually hope to use for your account.

*I'm not sure why, though I suspect it's because the site may be hosted in a server cluster somewhere that other websites have used for spam delivery mechanisms. This is just a guess, though; Dipsy might know more.
NoPunIn10Did
Moderator (Forums only)

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1401
Timezone: GMT

Postby General Jumbo » 05 Feb 2019, 23:25

Thanks for your reply - I do certainly intend to nix one of them as soon as I can get into it.

I don't think it's a domain problem - one of the accounts I created is an Apple iCloud domain email, which I know allows playdip emails through, and the other is a Google account, and I'd be surprised if Google blocks them. I'm pretty sure that for some reason, the verification email is not being sent out.

Since I cannot log in to either of these accounts, I can't play around with changing the email - I just get the "email unverified" message. The only way I can try other emails is by creating more accounts, and I don't really want to do that.

So I'm a bit perplexed right now.

I did find a bug, though. The new user registration, email format verification code does not accept '.online' as a valid domain, and it's one of the newer sets of allowed domain names.
General George S. Jumbo
Aspiring Classicist
General Jumbo
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 06 Feb 2019, 08:35

George, I do not understand the issue. Your george_s account seems fine. I don't understand why you would register another account, but I can kill it for you if you tell me what it is. To be clear, players should NEVER have more than one account - this is an absolute no-no.

On the register thing, the code for valid emails is very very old (ie it was written over 10 years ago!). I will go and have a look.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 956
Timezone: GMT

Postby General Jumbo » 06 Feb 2019, 09:45

Ah - I guess I misunderstood - somehow I got the idea you could have more than one account, just not play in the same game. I guess you don't need the headache that would entail.

What happened was, after getting back to playing after a hiatus, I wanted to change my username but I guess it has been less than a year since the last change, because the system wouldn't let me, so I tried to create a new user instead. This has resulted in two accounts 'GeneralJumbo' and 'General Jumbo' so you can kill those two, if you would, and I will wait a while before attempting a name change.

Sorry to have put you to the trouble and thanks for clarifying.
General George S. Jumbo
Aspiring Classicist
General Jumbo
Premium Member

Return to Bugs