How many games to play at once?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

How many games to play at once?

Postby CapturingBravo » 09 May 2021, 23:38

I want to ask this to some of the top players who have found a great deal of success - what would you say is an optimal number of games to be participating in at once?

I have found myself always wanting to join new games because of how fun they are, but if you are in too many games, you can't reasonably allocate your time to each one which can make your messages less persuasive and well-thought out. However, I find that playing only 1 game at a time doesn't keep me intrigued the same way participating in a few at once does.

Thanks!
-CaptuingBravo
CapturingBravo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 953
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: How many games to play at once?

Postby bard parker » 09 May 2021, 23:49

I'm no top player, but I believe I can answer your question as this is something I've thought a fair deal about.

For me, 3 games is the ideal number. Much more and I find my games not getting the attention they deserve. Much less and I get bored.

From what I've seen of many top players on the site, they tend to keep it under 3 games at a time as well.
bard parker

Standard rating: 1167
All-game rating: 1192
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby V » 10 May 2021, 00:19

“Serious” games such as a PDL or Classicist contest, only 1 at a time for sure.
I sometimes like a second game of less challenging nature simultaneously. A rating shield surrendered position can be good for that, as the outcome is of little importance.
To take on a third game simultaneously would need a special reason, such as an invitational game with excellent opponents that I wouldn’t want to miss out on. Otherwise a bad idea.
I like 2/1/1 games if serious (or maybe 1/1/1 games if less so) & with these frequencies any more than 2/3 games would be tough. I also recommend Dip breaks to regain enthusiasm, if games are leaving you jaded. I’m unlikely to play this year for example, but by 2022 the appetite could well be back.
Enjoy V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1827)

Postby AardvarkArmy » 10 May 2021, 14:36

3 or 4, with the key being varied maps - 1 Classic, 1 Ancient Med, 1 War in Americas and perhaps 1 Versailles or Milan

That way you won't confuse who's who... you don't want to be Germany allied with France in one Game and France allied with England in another; sooner or later, you'll say the wrong thing in the wrong game! hahaha

Better to be Carthage fighting Rome in one game, Brazil fighting Venezuela in another and Russia fighting Turkey in the third, so you keep a mental separation of what's going on in each game
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1066
All-game rating: 1564
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby V » 10 May 2021, 15:26

AardvarkArmy wrote:3 or 4, with the key being varied maps - 1 Classic, 1 Ancient Med, 1 War in Americas and perhaps 1 Versailles or Milan

That way you won't confuse who's who... you don't want to be Germany allied with France in one Game and France allied with England in another; sooner or later, you'll say the wrong thing in the wrong game! hahaha

Better to be Carthage fighting Rome in one game, Brazil fighting Venezuela in another and Russia fighting Turkey in the third, so you keep a mental separation of what's going on in each game

After doing that several times, I found a method to separate multiple standard games in my head.
In one I could be France allied with England.
In the second I use place names for all messages, so I would message Berlin from Paris.
In a third I’d use titles, so it’s to Emperor from President.

When I see how I addressed/signed off my previous message it reminds me which game I’m in :D
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1827)

Postby AardvarkArmy » 10 May 2021, 16:11

V wrote:
AardvarkArmy wrote:3 or 4, with the key being varied maps - 1 Classic, 1 Ancient Med, 1 War in Americas and perhaps 1 Versailles or Milan

After doing that several times, I found a method to separate multiple standard games in my head.
In one I could be France allied with England.
In the second I use place names for all messages, so I would message Berlin from Paris.
In a third I’d use titles, so it’s to Emperor from President.

When I see how I addressed/signed off my previous message it reminds me which game I’m in :D

Possibly the first-ever constructive use of multiple personality syndrome! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby MasterGR » 10 May 2021, 17:39

Two to three games at the most. I like games with 3 day deadlines, but generally games tend to require less effort in mid game and beyond, as typically alliances are well established and there are fewer players left in the game. So start with a single game, and when it reaches mid-game start another one. When the second game reaches mid-game, you can start yet another one. If you want good results, don't go beyond 3. You'll be putting less effort into each of them, thus jeopardizing your game quality, and you also run the risk of burning out if all you do in your spare time is diplomacy.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1361
All-game rating: 1782

Postby AardvarkArmy » 10 May 2021, 22:22

MasterGR wrote:Two to three games at the most. I like games with 3 day deadlines, but generally games tend to require less effort in mid game and beyond, as typically alliances are well established and there are fewer players left in the game. So start with a single game, and when it reaches mid-game start another one. When the second game reaches mid-game, you can start yet another one. If you want good results, don't go beyond 3. You'll be putting less effort into each of them, thus jeopardizing your game quality, and you also run the risk of burning out if all you do in your spare time is diplomacy.

wait...what?

Is there something else available to do in my spare time??

Please explain!

:mrgreen:
SOLOS

DRAWS
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby Pete the Great » 11 May 2021, 08:42

I prefer 2 to 3 with two day deadlines. You could do more if your doing gunboat as there is no negotiations. As one game begins to wind down I look to join a new game as I rarely am able to have a game start immediately. If you decide to do PDL or SuperPastis tournaments, I recommend you only do one of them your first time. Negotiations are intense. I am doing both and periodically find myself over stretched especially if two games start concurrently.
Pete the Great
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1134
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Oxmeister » 11 May 2021, 16:31

I am not one of those top players, but in a video on Floridaman's YouTube channel, Conq (#1 on playdip) states he only usually plays 1 or 2 games at a time with breaks, and he seems to believe it's an important advantage.

I personally find 2 is about for me, but If I wanted to do better, I'd be more focused playing just 1 game and maybe a gunboat game on the side.
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1324
All-game rating: 1492
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Diplomacy Strategy