Need some strategy for Italy

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Need some strategy for Italy

Postby gerybecke64 » 08 Feb 2021, 16:56

I'm playing as Italy, and I would appreciate some strategies for early game. My friends and I are pretty new to Diplomacy. Here is what's happening: Germany convinced England to fight France (who is very conservative) Should I join them or should I stay away from the conflict? In the East, a very aggressive Russia wants to take out Austria and then focus our strength on the Balkans. Should I accept this offer? Do you have any tips to offer me? Thank you!
gerybecke64

Re: Need some strategy for Italy

Postby Phlegmatic » 08 Feb 2021, 18:23

Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1516
All-game rating: 1579
Timezone: GMT

Postby 0wl » 08 Feb 2021, 18:57

If Germany and England are going after France I think joining in is a viable strategy. Something to consider is that the Iberian centers are very easy to defend and keep while any gains you make in Austria would likely be taken if you're facing a juggernaut or a strong Eastern power.

I'm not sure what year it is in your game but to get an early fifth center I think the best way is to ask Austria to help y into Greece in 1902. Don't ask for 1901 because that blocks Austrias fleet in Albania.

For example Austria could get two builds in 1901 then in Spring 1902 you could support their fleet in Greece into the Aegean and then move into Greece fall 1902.

Personally I think Austria is the best ally for Italy but you need to negotiate for a good deal. What i usually hope to gain working with Austria is Greece and all of the Turkish home centers. I've soloed many games as Austria where my Italian ally was happy with only Smyrna and that left them vulnerable later.

Something to consider in your future games is that some centers are more valuable than others. Portugal for example is a lot more valuable than Norway.

Since Turkish and French centers are easier to defend I think it's better to go after them first. Also if Turkey is allowed to grow it becomes very hard to destroy them later.

Also if you're able to take all of the Turkish home centers you now surround Austria and can insure you get all the benefit of an attack on Austria.

That's my advice, enjoy your game!
0wl

Standard rating: 1984
All-game rating: 2011
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 08 Feb 2021, 21:58

I think folks are forgetting that discussing games in progress is not allowed on the forum...
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby 0wl » 08 Feb 2021, 22:57

That's true, I think it's fine to ask about strategy for Italy but it shouldn't be while you're playing a game.
0wl

Postby 0wl » 08 Feb 2021, 22:58

I just like giving advice so much I got carried away :(. Sorry.
0wl

Postby Oxmeister » 08 Feb 2021, 23:38

My reading of the post would suggest its a game between friends rather than one on PD.

maybe the OP could clarify, though I couldn't help you either way :D
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1290
All-game rating: 1465

Postby Strategus » 09 Feb 2021, 10:30

You can discuss general and generic strategy for a country, but can't discuss a specific game. So just avoid discussing specific positions or anything else about the live game.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1698

Postby BrotherBored » 23 Feb 2021, 17:26

I've thought about this quite a bit, so I'll recommend my own content!

An Adventurous Strategy for Italy (this may be the most on-point in that it recommends a specific early-game strategy)

Soloing as Italy (podcast)

5 Reasons I Love to Play as Italy in Gunboat Diplomacy (not entirely on-point but some of the concepts you might find useful)
BrotherBored

Timezone: EST

Return to Diplomacy Strategy