Fighting Back from the Brink

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Fighting Back from the Brink

Postby Audacia » 05 Dec 2020, 19:05

We’ve all been there, I’m sure. Down to 2 or fewer dots by the end. Sometimes holding on for a long time on two dots, being too stubborn to just give up (cold, dead hands, am I right?)

I know I was in 178900 (Russia), 179494 (England), and 182127 (Turkey).

178900 was my first game on PDO and I was woefully unprepared :cry: . Wow, maybe I’ll get a chance to be a Tsarina again someday.

179494 was game two. An indefatigable FG alliance :evil: . But they wouldn’t communicate enough to finish me off. And RT took me into their loving arms :D and I influenced the Jugg that drew that game:

"As the mob approaches London, chants of "Off with her head" ring out through the crowd. Jeers of "Let her eat pate, Let her eat schnitzel" follow. The Queen's chamber hushed as this news reaches Her Majesty. The chamberlain clears his throat. "Your Majesty, the Admiral reports there is only room for one steamer trunk. He needs all the room for munitions to assure your safe passage into exile."

She loudly proclaims, "We will never wear fawn or smokey blue again. Include only the purple and turquoise taffeta and silk dresses. And as many dancing shoes as possible. We understand the Tsar's courts are magnificent. Perhaps the Sultan will honor Us with a visit there from time to time."

182127 a more recent game and my first Jugg which I thought Russia was onside with. But he solo’d (The Sultana down to just Greece at the end :shock: ).

To Mother Russia at the end: You may use my corpse in the fires that heat the metal. Cold dead hands, Mother Russia. You know it, my friend.

In honour of every long shot Diplomacy game you kept playing, out of sheer will to not just push your two dots to others 8-) , I offer this song: Two Dots by Lusine. A cheerful, light number, which tickles my mathematical side.

...Two dots joined by a line
Might be detached by a crime

Who is responsible when the line is stretched?
Who is responsible when it becomes a triangle?
How irresponsible when the line is stretched
How irresponsible when it becomes a triangle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iIvRXCV9lk

So tell me, what two dot game are your proud of and why? Not full AARs here just some good celebration of how you played out with honour.

Audacia
Gold Classicist
Audacia
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 988
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Fighting Back from the Brink

Postby UM85 » 06 Dec 2020, 00:59

I joined a game once, taking over a surrendered Russia position that had exactly one (!) dot. It was on a lark. I looked at the board and while England was the (slightly) dominant player, the KOE was surrounded by an alliance that would spell his eventual, inevitable doom. I guess I felt sorry for him. So I joined the game, reached out to England and told him I would be his ally if he would like one, and would be happy to use my one fleet in StP in his defense. He most happily accepted, swearing to treat me honorably - a pledge he kept. Since I had nothing to lose and a Rating Shield activated, I cut loose from StP in the Spring and in the Fall took Sweden from Germany, with England's support. Sadly, I lost StP so remained on one dot (and now no home bases.) However, the move into Sweden had the effect of sawing Germany in two. This crippled his position and eventually caused his alliance to weaken, with his "allies" now looking at him with lustful intents. This played out over the next couple years and a virtual stalemate ensued. As draw proposals floated, I insisted on being part of the draw. England supported me. I ended up getting a part in the draw which was well beyond any expectation I had when I joined the game.

In the final analysis, I probably would never take over a one-dot, surrendered position again given the built-in limitations to having only one unit. (I never could work it where I could position myself to get a 2nd dot, given the lack of a home base.) But I still look back fondly on the "Little one-dot who could."
UM85

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Audacia » 06 Dec 2020, 01:34

UM85 wrote:However, the move into Sweden had the effect of sawing Germany in two. This crippled his position and eventually caused his alliance to weaken, with his "allies" now looking at him with lustful intents. This played out over the next couple years and a virtual stalemate ensued. As draw proposals floated, I insisted on being part of the draw. England supported me. I ended up getting a part in the draw which was well beyond any expectation I had when I joined the game.

Using others' lustful impulses against your foe. Very nice 8-) . Well played, UM85. Great story about the little dot who could.
Gold Classicist
Audacia
Premium Member

Postby Latanst1 » 06 Dec 2020, 04:37

I find sheer cussedness and a friendly tone can often work miracles.

Being down to one or two centers, especially if you have been pushed into exile, can be a great weapon in finding creative ways to stay alive and sometimes even join in a draw (I am sure someone out there has pulled a solo out of near defeat and would love to hear the tale!).

No one fears you any more and as a non-threatening player others are more relaxed about pulling you into alliances and not putting much effort into destroying you. Playing the raider or disrupter even as a single unit can cause great disruption throughout the map since no one can easily predict your moves. As surrounding powers grow there are often gaps that open allowing a very weak player behind enemy lines to create happy mayhem.

I recently was reduced to one French fleet and possession only of Tunis. However, the war's focus had shifted to the Atlantic with Germany and England fighting on the seas while Austria had only a single fleet bottled up in the Black Sea. The Mediterranean was my playground and I managed to survive by moving to a series of empty supply centers along its shores.

Good times

Audacia wrote:We’ve all been there, I’m sure. Down to 2 or fewer dots by the end. Sometimes holding on for a long time on two dots, being too stubborn to just give up (cold, dead hands, am I right?)

Audacia
Latanst1
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1115
All-game rating: 1189
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby Audacia » 06 Dec 2020, 15:19

Latanst1 wrote:I find sheer cussedness and a friendly tone can often work miracles.

I couldn't agree more. I've been that player and I've had that player work for and against me. Never discount the power of one dot.

Latanst1 wrote:I recently was reduced to one French fleet and possession only of Tunis. However, the war's focus had shifted to the Atlantic with Germany and England fighting on the seas while Austria had only a single fleet bottled up in the Black Sea. The Mediterranean was my playground and I managed to survive by moving to a series of empty supply centers along its shores.

Good times

Yes, location can be the key. I love your use of the word playground. You have a wonderful writing style, Latanst1. Good times, indeed - Audacia
Gold Classicist
Audacia
Premium Member

Postby Woolgie » 06 Dec 2020, 17:17

I always seem to come up against people who say ‘but you only have one dot, you shouldn’t be included in a draw, why do you keep rejecting it’. To which I say ‘then my one dot has all the power and I deserve the draw’. Then they accept and hate me.

Maybe I should stop getting down to one dot? :lol:

I’m actually playing a game at the moment where I have three dots, infact myself and two other powers have just eight dots between us but we have a stalemate line and the two big powers refuse to include us in draws. One of them has now ceded centres to the other to gift a solo and claimed its us minnow’s fault. People think dots are power, but in diplomacy one nation is one voice, regardless of the number of dots.
I ran Play Diplomacy League for a time and then I set it free
Redesigning my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 929
Timezone: GMT

Postby Audacia » 06 Dec 2020, 17:56

Woolgie wrote:I always seem to come up against people who say ‘but you only have one dot, you shouldn’t be included in a draw, why do you keep rejecting it’. To which I say ‘then my one dot has all the power and I deserve the draw’. Then they accept and hate me.

That one dot, England, saw the 6way draw in my PDL game. A powerful influence and I can admit my sense of loss when we (RT) were unable to keep him on our side. His decision to take St. Pete stopped our Juggarnaut. An awesome game though. Yeah, I know it was a 6way, but one of my most fun games here so far.
Gold Classicist
Audacia
Premium Member

Return to Diplomacy Strategy