You've Never Used Turkey's Best Opening

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

You've Never Used Turkey's Best Opening

Postby BrotherBored » 05 Dec 2020, 00:57

A provocative title for a thoughtful article! The style is different too: a dialogue between two players!

You've Never Used Turkey's Best Opening {A Diplomacy Dialogue}

I've already heard some really positive feedback about the advice. I also wonder what you might think of the style?
BrotherBored

Timezone: EST

Re: You've Never Used Turkey's Best Opening

Postby Jack007 » 05 Dec 2020, 14:42

Very good article about a good Turkish opening tactic. Thanks.

Unfortunately your discussion partner is not. I recommend you to rewrite the article - alone.

Jack
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1519
All-game rating: 1619
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Chairpusher » 05 Dec 2020, 22:09

I have used this opening. The only problem I found was if you have pressure on Bulgaria you then have a Fleet stuck in Con and it never felt right to me.
Chairpusher
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 950
All-game rating: 956
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 06 Dec 2020, 17:49

Chairpusher wrote:I have used this opening. The only problem I found was if you have pressure on Bulgaria you then have a Fleet stuck in Con and it never felt right to me.

I assume you mean at the beginning of 1902. I also assume you're saying you'd rather have an army in Con than a fleet for when you want to try to defend Bulgaria.

The thing is, when you are filling Con with an army so that you can use it to support Bul, where are your fleets? One of them is probably in Smy, and the other is...in Ank? If it's in the Black Sea, then you may have made a self-fulfilling prophecy--it may be the case that Russia pitches in against you because you moved your fleet there. If it's in Ank, it's not doing much for you.

The truth is, if you're in a situation where Bul feels threatened that early, it's probably either because 1) Russia was going to attack you anyway, or 2) there's an A/I.

If both of these things are true at the same time, you will be fighting for your life no matter what opening you play.

If there's an A/I, having one of your fleets not able to defend the Eastern Med and Aegean is going to hurt you so much that the short-term problems in Bulgaria aren't likely to matter.

Another possibility is if there's an A/R but Italy is leaving you alone. This is one case where you'd rather have your army in Con so that one fleet can defend Aegean and the other can defend the Black Sea. But in fact, if you think about it, playing this opening in Spring still allows you to move Smy-Con in Fall if you want! (It just doesn't give you the chance to get 2 builds in case Bulgaria had another center to go to.) That's how flexible it is. There is no rule that says you must move Ank-Con in Fall 01 just because you left it open.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Strategy