New Diplomacy Puzzle Video

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

New Diplomacy Puzzle Video

Postby Captainmeme » 20 Dec 2016, 17:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JWsMTH6ng

Feel free to PM me if you get the solution, or if you want any hints :)
I've now lost so many tournaments I can no longer fit them in my signature.
Captainmeme

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1005)
Timezone: GMT

Re: New Diplomacy Puzzle Video

Postby Carebear » 20 Dec 2016, 19:58

The basic first part:
The Eastern and Central Fronts are straight forward. The following four orders are required for all order sets:
  • Nwy S StP
  • BAL S Ber
  • Kie S Mun
  • Ruh S Mun

Part of the Western Front is obviously fixed (at first) as well:
  • Bur S Mar
  • Gas S Spa
  • IRI S MAO

But then, the rest of the Western Front looks impossible at first glance. Though nothing else is initially needed to solve the problem of the first season, once WME is occupied (Tun S TYS - WME) Spain looks lost:
  • Pie - Mar
  • NAf - MAO
  • WME - Spa (sc)
  • GOL S WME - Spa (sc)
  • Por S WME - Spa (sc)

To prevent the immediate acquisition of Spain by Turkey, the play could be:
  • MAO - Por
  • IRI - MAO
  • ENG S IRI - MAO

However, this option allows Turkey and France to force the Mid-Atlantic Ocean and all is lost from there.
  • WME - MAO
  • Por S WME - MAO
  • NAf S WME - MAO

Looking at the rest of the units, you think too bad the fleet in Edinburgh is not in Clyde. If it was, then there would be enough tempo to be able to beleaguer MAO. Is it a mistake with the puzzle?

The problem solving pieces:
The question becomes, how can I both hold in MAO and attack Portugal? The answer of course is a convoy! Unfortunately, an additional army would need to be in Brest by the second set of orders. But, no army can walk there in time. :(

The solution is another convoy!! In the first season:
  • Bel - Bre
  • ENG C Bel - Bre
  • Edi - NWG (more on this later)

Then in the subsequent season(s):
  • Bre - Por
  • MAO C Bre - Por
  • ENG S MAO
  • NWG - NAO

If they decide to take Spain from Portugal, then Turkey still doesn't get it and you backfill Portugal. From there in perpetuity:
  • MAO - Spa (sc)
  • Por S MAO - Spa (sc)
  • Gas S Mar
  • NWG - MAO
  • IRI S NWG - MAO
  • ENG S NWG - MAO

If you want to eliminate Italy/France and settle for a three-way or push for a two-way, a slight variation of Gas S MAO - Spa (sc) can be made. This allows France to take Marseille, but you again have enough strength and pressure to prevent France from turning it over to Turkey.
Last edited by Carebear on 20 Dec 2016, 20:34, edited 3 times in total.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Captainmeme » 20 Dec 2016, 20:20

Nicely done! You get the first correct response award (across everywhere I posted this, a fair few dip sites).

One question - could you edit your post to use spoiler tags? Since my first post is kinda short, right now you can see the solution instantly as you open the thread.
I've now lost so many tournaments I can no longer fit them in my signature.
Captainmeme

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1005)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Carebear » 20 Dec 2016, 20:26

Done
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Zosimus » 21 Dec 2016, 01:09

So my take on it is fairly simple. St. Petersburg, Kiel, Munich, and Marseilles are not issues. The only real issue is Spain. The problem is two-fold. First, France can try to support one of Turkey's units in or France can move in himself with Turkish support.

So you cannot prevent Turkey from taking Spain by using the fleet in MAO to support Spain because N. Africa can cut you, so you'll need to cut something yourself. It will not help to try to cut W. Mediterranean because Turkey can simply order W. Med to Spain(sc) with support and you're done. So you need to cut the French fleet in Portugal.

The problem is that you cannot both cut and ensure that you retain the square because if you move the fleet to Portugal, you may face a move from a Turkish unit into MAO with support from France. Fortunately, you can use a convoy to cut support of Portugal and retain MAO well supported... at least long enough for the fleet to move through Clyde and into the North Atlantic.

However, at some point France and Turkey are going to get tired and they'll try supporting France into Spain. So how does that work out?

Well, if France gets supported into Spain(nc) he won't be able to do anything there because the most he can do is cut Gascony. However, since this unit is not essential for supporting Marseilles, that won't accomplish anything.

So what happens if France gets supported into Spain(sc)? Well, one thing that will happen is that your convoy will go through so you will definitely see an army in Portugal. Italy's unit will disband and then Marseilles will just hold from now on.

Well, you can still hold Marseilles against Turkey because France in Spain(sc) will be in the same position as it was in Portugal. It can support Turkey, but it will always get cut by MAO-Spain(sc) and support from Gascony and Portugal. So unless Turkey props Spain up continuously, it will fall to German units. So perhaps then France gets the bright idea to get supported into Marseilles. That will work, but then Germany will have a fleet in Spain(sc) and units in Burgundy and Gascony ready to support Germany into Marseilles.

Nor can France suddenly move back out into MAO because with N. Atlantic, E. Channel and Liverpool, Germany can continuously try to insert one of those three fleets into MAO indefinitely, so Turkey can still not win.

That's my take. I hope it's clear.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Standard rating: 1696
All-game rating: 1730
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Strategy