Online vs live board play

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Online vs live board play

Postby jamn » 21 Jul 2016, 09:03

Having played a couple of online games i was interested in how negotiations might be different in a live aingle sitting game? Online i have had 2 days each turn to build rapport, carefully compose messages and replies as well as change people's minds.
I am yet to play my first live game but with a short time limit for each turn and the need to think quickly and persuade or lie face to face i imagine it will be a very different game.
Woild love to know what people think?
Or any tips people have for playing live as opposed to online?
Thanks!
jamn

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Online vs live board play

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 21 Jul 2016, 10:07

In face to face, people are more pliable in my experience. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby HPWehmeier » 21 Jul 2016, 10:07

I only played a few face to face games, a little before I decided to look for playing this game online. The major difference I found was my body. As I lied to the face of my opponent I could feel each heartbeat. Adrenaline was pulsing through my veins. It felt as though I was incapable of breathing, as I tried to hide all emotions from my countenance. i don't know what I said or how I said it, it just sort of seems like I blacked out as I asked France to make a move against Germany while I plotted to convoy against France. Once the orders resolved I couldn't help but feel intense joy at the success of my deception.

Online those feelings exist, but to a much smaller degree. As an introvert I feel much safer behind my keyboard.
Platinum member of "the Classicists"
It's a little known fact that smartest animal is a pig. Scientists say if pigs had thumbs and a language, they could be trained to do simple manual labor. They give you 20-30 years of loyal service and then at their retirement dinner you can eat them.
HPWehmeier

Standard rating: (1010)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby OldBaldGuy » 21 Jul 2016, 14:00

Much more intense live. There are strict time limits. You can see who is talking with who. More opportunity for deception - you can pass a note with your real intentions, while loudly whispering false moves. You can show someone your written moves, and submit a different set. Sometimes discussions get loud and animated. The Diplomacy part is an almost completely different game.
OldBaldGuy

Standard rating: (1220)
All-game rating: (1247)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jamn » 21 Jul 2016, 20:52

Thanjs for the thoughts!
Definitely looking forward to it.
jamn

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Carebear » 21 Jul 2016, 23:35

jamn wrote:Having played a couple of online games i was interested in how negotiations might be different in a live aingle sitting game? Online i have had 2 days each turn to build rapport, carefully compose messages and replies as well as change people's minds.

Because time is limited, you have to be succinct in your discussions. Quickly outline your viewpoint and recommendations. It is much easier to build up the story lines in online play.

jamn wrote:Or any tips people have for playing live as opposed to online?

As soon as moves are adjudicated, you should quickly write your pieces down for the next turn and maybe even a default set of moves. You can negotiate to your hearts content without worrying about getting moves written down at the end in a rush.

If you notice someone having a hard time getting orders in, try to negotiate with them at the end to cause them to rush their orders.

If you notice players talking a lot together, work with another player to monopolize their time to reduce their interactions.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby edmgrim » 22 Jul 2016, 23:51

It occurs to me that online vs f2f is somewhat comparable to the United States presidential race. In one you know who you are dealing with and in the other you don't. But in either case, you know not to trust them!
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Carebear » 23 Jul 2016, 07:21

edmgrim wrote:It occurs to me that online vs f2f is somewhat comparable to the United States presidential race. In one you know who you are dealing with and in the other you don't. But in either case, you know not to trust them!

Like both, perception is critical. Being viewed as competent and reliable, but not overly aggressive is important.

Wouldn't want Trump as a neighbor, he would probably dot me. So, I would likely make him my first target. Hilary I wouldn't want as a neighbor either, as she would likely be capable of rallying my other neighbors to attack me. However, I would expect her to be reliable on points of mutual self-interest and could work with her.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Octavious » 23 Jul 2016, 11:56

I guess a lot depends on what sort of live board game you're looking at. Too hear some people talk the only real diplomacy is presided over by the close knit bunch of chaps, clustered for the most part in a couple of parts of the US, Northern Europe and the UK, who run the world cup and various local tournaments. I imagine a far greater amount of diplomacy takes place in universities and schools and homes by groups of friends who have nothing to do with the tournament crowd. I dare say the dynamics are quite different between them.

Then you have the play by mail / email lot, who from my understanding made up the vast majority of regular players until fairly recently.

It's probably also worth dividing the online website based players (those using sites such as webdiplomacy, vdiplomacy, bounced, Facebook diplomacy, and indeed our very own Playdip) into live games and long games.

All of these groups tend to argue that they are the way the game should be played, and tend to play very differently. Face to facers on the face of it seem to have the best claim on this, but looking at their stats you quickly find that their games are remarkably short with victory more often than not determined by ludicrously complex points per supply centre systems. To onliners used to playing until a natural conclusion is reached, the whole "stop early for supper" philosophy can be something of a shock. If you've spent the game growing slowly and building up diplomatic capital, having a game cut short and "victory" granted to the plump fool you've been grooming for a stab can be somewhat galling.

In an ideal world the game should be a one off played in a grand old house with plenty of spare rooms by seven seasoned players determined to stick it out to the end. Such conditions are as rare as hen's teeth.

Everything else is a compromise with various restrictions that hugely impact what sort of play is possible. I think the closest we can get are online live games that demand quick thinking and edge of seat diplomacy and allow the game to reach a conclusion.
Guaaaaaaak!
Octavious

Standard rating: (1242)
All-game rating: (1251)

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 23 Jul 2016, 18:41

I feel more inclined to post here again, for today I have participated in a face-to-face game.

One thing is, when I play F2F, I know the people I'm playing, and I know their personalities. I know that they have stabbed before, and what situations they've been in.
Which makes things easier in a way, but a stab all the more shocking at times. Today though, it was only a 5 player, much to my disappointment, but it was still great fun.
We didn't have a mansion with an overload of rooms, or 7 seasoned players willing to stick it out to the end.... rather:
We had 2 players who didn't really know all the ins and outs of the board, or the game.
Another is as loyal as you can get...to a FAULT. :lol: (In my opinion). Once he finds his ally, he will fight on, by his side, and never failing.
And the last two, were myself, and my brother....who tend to take all the liberties we can...and enjoy stabbing each other...muchly. :)
In the end, we had to end due to time constraints, only up to 1906 Spring.... The "winners" being Austria, France, and England, each with 8 SCs....

Though, this is not why I'm here. This was not meant to be any sort of AAR, but rather, to point out that online players usually know the rules, and there are certain things they won't even attempt...such as convoying an army to Crete. (And yes, that did happen). I wouldn't have even thought to point that out to a newer player. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Next

Return to Diplomacy Strategy