Communication in Gunboat Games

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Communication in Gunboat Games

Postby Noefochesgiving » 17 Jul 2016, 03:08

The implementation of PDO has made for interesting possibilities for communication. In the old PBEM Dip judges you could support a unit to Switzerland to suggest an alliance. http://diplom.org/Zine/W1995A/Szykman/NoPress.html PBEM judges filter out illegal moves from your orders. However the PDO code lets you order charges of the light brigade from Syria to the Ruhr or support a fleet in the Barents Sea to Vienna.

In this way you can suggest moves to your fellow players that you want to work with. If you are playing an RT and you can suggest that the Russian moves Galicia to Budapest in the next move using your spare Black Sea fleet ordering a support of that move.

In addition, I haven't tried it yet, but after 1905 you can use the draw mechanism to suggest alliances if it is not a DIAS and not secret ballot. There might be 7 players still in the game but you propose a draw between Turkey and Russia to try and get a Juggernaut going. The Russian can respond by accepting, rejecting or just plain ignoring it. Whatever the case the Russian has communicated something back to you.

I have only recently joined PDO and I play a lot of Gunboat games. I was wondering if these communication strategies were commonly used. Also I am assuming that these ploys are not considered cheating (correct me if I am wrong). Or in the alternative are they considered "bad form"?

Interested to see if anyone has any comments on this.
Noefochesgiving

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (992)
All-game rating: (1171)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Communication in Gunboat Games

Postby Zosimus » 17 Jul 2016, 03:21

Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1696)
All-game rating: (1730)

Postby Noefochesgiving » 17 Jul 2016, 03:39

Thanks for the link. Wasn't expecting to find that in "Find Games".

What about moves like Black Sea support Warsaw to Prussia. Do some people consider that bad form?
Noefochesgiving

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (992)
All-game rating: (1171)

Postby Durkeety » 17 Jul 2016, 03:44

I have most definitely used draw proposals as well as support moves to suggest things to other players on the map, and it is not cheating, it is simply working with what you have in a resourceful manner.
Durkeety
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1587
All-game rating: 1572

Postby Octavious » 17 Jul 2016, 11:23

Quite so. The art of gunboat is the creative use of limited communications to make up for the fact that you've just taken away the one aspect of the game that makes it worth playing. It's a bit like how awesome and challenging cookery would be if you could somehow turn off your tastebuds.
Guaaaaaaak!
Octavious

Standard rating: (1242)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Strategy