The Art of Diplomacy: 1901 (Parts 1-4)

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: The Art of Diplomacy: 1901 (Parts 1-4)

Postby The O » 06 Mar 2010, 20:29

Great read. I don't see things exactly the way you do, but that's the fun of Diplomacy. It is really well thought out and I do like the maps a lot.

I have to disagree about Italy moving on France being wrong. If Italy can take Pied AND either Germany takes Burg or England takes the Channel, then Italy is in a great spot. I've had good success moving to Pied. I let the board know that I will be taking Mars and then let Spain cover Mars unopposed (or let Mars hold if he supported Paris to Burg). France will lose his build in Spain (and if he took the Channel he may not get any of Iberia). He also will not be able to build a fleet Mars (because his army is parked there) and will be helpless in the south. All it took was one move and France now has little say in the Med. If however, you don't move Pied, France is most likely getting 2 builds in Iberia and can easily put a Fleet in Mars (as well as in SC Spain). Now Italy has to just hope that France will play nice with him. It's also wrong to say that France and Italy can't get along after that opening. I had a game where I moved to Pied and France went with a Gasc variant (putting me in a terrible spot). I quickly worked things out with France diplomatically and came to terms with him. We both realized that the war between us would only hurt our growth so we quickly went in other directions.
The bottom line is that the openings are so dynamic that there is no right or wrong. A move to Pied can be of great advantage to Italy or it can be disastrous. Also, diplomacy can always overcome tactics (the great thing with this game is that one can talk oneself out of a tactical jam). Therefore, I don't think that it's right to say that Italy should never move Pied or that Germany should never attack Russia in 01.
Everyone say it with me now:
"It's all situational" :D

Keep the articles coming
The O

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (885)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Tuomasm » 06 Mar 2010, 22:06

Good article. I just want to point out one error. Norway is not a natural neutral for England as France and Germany can dislodge the English fleet in the North Sea. :lol:
Tuomasm

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1117)
All-game rating: (1275)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby dmccool » 06 Mar 2010, 22:52

Tuomasm wrote:Good article. I just want to point out one error. Norway is not a natural neutral for England as France and Germany can dislodge the English fleet in the North Sea. :lol:

It is a natural neutral for England but fleet North Sea would need to take Norway with support from fleet Norwegian Sea.
dmccool

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby MasterZone » 14 Mar 2010, 02:06

Tuomasm wrote:Good article. I just want to point out one error. Norway is not a natural neutral for England as France and Germany can dislodge the English fleet in the North Sea. :lol:

This reminds me of a game with close friends and nemesis I played before...

Every person in that game prepared to attack England in the 1st year.

Spring, 1901 Moves:

England:
F. Lon to North Sea
F. Edi to Norwegian Sea
A. Liv to Edi

France:
F.Bre to English Channel
A. Par to Picardy
A. Mar to Spain

Germany:
F. Kie to Denmark
A. Mun to Ruh
A. Ber to Kie

Russia:
F. St.P SC to Gulf Of Bothnia
A. Mos to St.P
A. War to Livonia
F. Sev to Black Sea

Fall, 1901 Moves:

England:
F. Nwg Sea Convoy A. Edi to Norway
F. Nor Sea to Lon
A. Edi to Norway

France:
F. Eng Cha Support F. Den to North Sea
A. Pic to Belgium
A. Spa to Portugal

Germany:
F. Den to North Sea
A. Kiel to Denmark
A. Ruh to Hol

Russia:
F. GOB Convoy A. Lvn to Sweden
A. St.P to Norway
A. Lvn to Sweden
F. Sev to Rumania

At the end of that year, England received no builds!

England's Positions:
F. Nwg Sea
F. Yor
A. Edi

It was quite sad for him really... France, Germany & Russia all received 2 builds immediately.

I was Italy in that game, France asked me not to interfere with anything in the 1st year...
Lies, more lies, and Soviet deception!!!
    - Democratic Caucasians...

:mrgreen: Shall 4EVER remind me of sevenoaks.
(For those of you who don't know him, NEVER try to.)
MasterZone

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Cornelius » 30 Mar 2010, 05:47

There is a way that England could guarantee a build in 1901. This is also directed to correct the article as with that move set England could still lose London and thus any build.

F Edi - Nwg
F Lon - Nth
A Lvp - Yor

If all three neighbors attack, Yor could cover London while the Nwg fleet supports the Nth fleet into Norway. This is key as Germany would be able to cut any support from the Nth fleet. I don't envy the position England would find itself in, but then any country would be in trouble if all of its neighbors attacked it early on. But yes, England would get his build.
"I have always been fond of the West African proverb 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'"
--Theodore Roosevelt
Cornelius

Postby LordDwia » 03 Apr 2010, 07:28

Quite right,

F Lon -> Nth --> Nwy
F Edi -> Nwg - S F Nth -> Nwy

will do just fine. another thing to edit.

Sorry it's taken me so long to update, I won't have much time for writing until May. Then I'll have a bit of time to sit down and finish/edit the article.
TheCraw wrote:
I’m amazed LordDwia can sit down with balls that big.

LordDwia

Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Cornelius » 03 Apr 2010, 08:50

It's an interesting concept. A new way to look at the various spaces and to evaluate tactics.
"I have always been fond of the West African proverb 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'"
--Theodore Roosevelt
Cornelius

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Strategy