Time for England to ask for bounce in the channel again?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Time for England to ask for bounce in the channel again?

Postby ColonelApricot » 16 Oct 2020, 22:42

Finally a mention of Russia. Some time ago I remember a discussion of how England can use Russia's influence to help him with the channel outcome. I think it was @zosimus that pointed this out. No discussion of the west is complete without including Russia-North.

Italy too can have influence, but rarely. Italy would want to be very confident that E and G were completely onside before committing against F. Many would consider this foolhardy in fact, although I suffered that fate as F in a classicists game a while ago.

.. CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400
Timezone: GMT

Postby MasterGR » 18 Oct 2020, 05:21

I like the premise of this article, and I agree with the suggested opening in the case where France does not offer support into Belgium. England is relatively well defended, but has real trouble expanding early on, and an opening in the channel that then near guarantees Belgium is strong. It also helps defuse tension with Russia, who is typically against a convoy to Norway. Of course, in the end we can all agree that it also comes down to who your neighbors are, and if Germany is sending negative signals they may opt to avoid this opening in S01. Perhaps I will try it next time I play England if I can find a cooperative Germany.

As for other comments made, based on recent experience I 100% agree that the German opening to Holland is really bad, unless England is on par which is rare. It sets off both E and F against G, wastes a valuable fleet in Denmark (the army there is much less useful) and a valuable army in Holland (fleet cannot move/support Ruhr), and overall puts G in a really bad position... While also screwing England over. It's an opening that only benefits France.

I do think though that the best alliance for England is FG, aka the western jugg. It is confirmed by site stats to be very successful, it's less scary to others than the standard jugg, but even more importantly England typically gets most of the coastal centers when it's successful and is very well positioned to stab France in the mid-game... As long as F can be convinced to turn to the Med once Munich falls.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1352
All-game rating: 1690
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby David E. Cohen » 18 Oct 2020, 13:10

Phlegmatic wrote:The only viable path to an English solo, and frequently to a decent draw, is to kill France quickly and brutally.

It is *a* viable path to a solo, certainly. It may, statistically speaking, be the most likely path to a solo. But to say it is the *only* viable path to a solo, completely ignoring the players involved and the in-game situation, is ridiculous. There are very, very few absolutes in Diplomacy. This is *not* one of them.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby FloridaMan » 18 Oct 2020, 18:21

David E. Cohen wrote:It is *a* viable path to a solo, certainly. It may, statistically speaking, be the most likely path to a solo. But to say it is the *only* viable path to a solo, completely ignoring the players involved and the in-game situation, is ridiculous. There are very, very few absolutes in Diplomacy. This is *not* one of them.

Strongly agree with this.

Honestly, I don't think this even is the best or most likely path to an English solo.

As England, working with France has served me well in the past, probably about as much as working with Germany.
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire

Tied for 10th Position in the 2020 Liberty Cup
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1693
All-game rating: 1786
Timezone: GMT-5