Mobile user volunteers?

This is where we inform about development updates.

Re: Mobile user volunteers?

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Nov 2017, 08:07

Incidentally, this wont be a full game or anything. I just want to get a few people to see what they think of the interface. I will be in touch.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 26 Nov 2017, 10:49

IPhone user - don't even bother using the laptop anymore for gaming.
That said, my fat fingers make mistakes with the point+click often...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Pootleflump » 26 Nov 2017, 13:07

Even as someone with FOAB (Fingers Of Average Build) I have perfected the art of using the the side of my nail (at an angle) to click Tuscany and Albania.......
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1823
All-game rating: 1898

Postby Cardlinger » 26 Nov 2017, 13:59

Add me in as an android (running CyanogenMod) if you need another head. I try to stick to laptops for communicating but always keep an eye via the smartphone for last second order decisions etc, so updating that interface for mobile is the #1 reason I access playdip on a phone!

Best,
Cardlinger
Last edited by Cardlinger on 28 Nov 2017, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Cardlinger

Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)

Postby Astrup » 27 Nov 2017, 00:19

I'll gladly help to test it. Android user here. I am not a tech dude, but I am not ignorant about it either.

I have an idea for a later development of the mobile/tablet interface: Basically just eliminate all menues

Move: Click a territory, then click another territory
Hold: Just click the same territory twice.
Support: Click a territory, draw an S with you finger on the screen, then click the hold or move order you wish to support like above.
Convoy: If you want to convoy you draw a C instead of an S.
Retreat: Like moves
Builds: Click the home territory. Draw an A for army, F for fleet.

When an order is made you should get a small notification at top or bottom of screen.

I know it's probably not easy to make, but it would be really ease and fast to use.

- Simon
Astrup

Standard rating: (1151)
All-game rating: (1158)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby SteveHybrid » 27 Nov 2017, 17:10

@Dipsy, I'm curious if the update to the mobile website is an indication that the App being done up has been delayed or won't be out for a while. I'm not really sure when or if there ever was a timeline for it.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 783
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 28 Nov 2017, 09:05

Hybrid wrote:@Dipsy, I'm curious if the update to the mobile website is an indication that the App being done up has been delayed or won't be out for a while. I'm not really sure when or if there ever was a timeline for it.

Things have sort of bifurcated. The new site code is still being worked on but the team developing it has found the job far bigger than they thought. This new code base will include an App. However, since this has been so heavily delayed, we did not want to leave the site to stagnate and hence I have been adding things for the last few months. The mobile changes I am making are nowhere near an App, just some little tweaking, but I am hoping it will make things a bit easier for people on phones. I will be getting some of the volunteers involved shortly, I am just playing that old programmer's game of second guessing at the moment which any programmer would recognize ;)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Postby DirtyHarry » 28 Nov 2017, 13:17

I've done a lot of software testing in my career if you want more help. Not too much with GUI's, but let me know.

DH
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1334
All-game rating: 1349

Postby SteveHybrid » 28 Nov 2017, 16:16

super_dipsy wrote:
Hybrid wrote:@Dipsy, I'm curious if the update to the mobile website is an indication that the App being done up has been delayed or won't be out for a while. I'm not really sure when or if there ever was a timeline for it.

Things have sort of bifurcated. The new site code is still being worked on but the team developing it has found the job far bigger than they thought. This new code base will include an App. However, since this has been so heavily delayed, we did not want to leave the site to stagnate and hence I have been adding things for the last few months. The mobile changes I am making are nowhere near an App, just some little tweaking, but I am hoping it will make things a bit easier for people on phones. I will be getting some of the volunteers involved shortly, I am just playing that old programmer's game of second guessing at the moment which any programmer would recognize ;)

Cool. Thanks for the response. Looking forward to both web updates and the App.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 783

Previous

Return to Developments