Premium Classic Championship - GAMES & INFO.

A 7-game, 7 countries tournament, that started on 1 August 2010. No resolution.

Re: Premium Classic Championship - GAMES & RESULTS

Postby Gordyfisher » 12 Aug 2010, 16:50

Rick -

Sorry about that. I was looking in my e-mail inbox. I have all the invites. Thanks
Gordyfisher

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (917)
All-game rating: (848)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Zebb » 12 Aug 2010, 16:58

Question... I know the games themselves are anonymous, but will the country assignments for each game be made public after the game is complete?
Zebb

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby rick.leeds » 12 Aug 2010, 21:42

Gordyfisher wrote:Rick -

Sorry about that. I was looking in my e-mail inbox. I have all the invites. Thanks

No problem :)

Zebb wrote:Question... I know the games themselves are anonymous, but will the country assignments for each game be made public after the game is complete?

When the games finish, they'll come up with the names of who played which country, so yes they will. I won't include who played what in the table, not will I include how many games players have played, though it could be possible to work this out.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Game 6

Postby rick.leeds » 13 Aug 2010, 11:50

Up and running.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Captain Twig

Postby rick.leeds » 16 Aug 2010, 16:57

I've heard from Captain Twig who has withdrawn from the tournament. As this doesn't affect any games, I won't be seeking a replacement.

Thanks for the interest, Captain Twig. Good luck in other games.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Custer » 17 Aug 2010, 00:50

Afraid to lay that 15 rank on the line are we? :twisted:
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1127
All-game rating: 1101
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Ceebs » 17 Aug 2010, 23:53

I notice that all the PCC games are 72/48/48. Any chance future games could have shorter deadlines? I find games with those long deadlines get tedious, especially for retreat/build phases.
Ceebs

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1204)

Postby Stander » 18 Aug 2010, 00:21

Ceebs wrote:I notice that all the PCC games are 72/48/48. Any chance future games could have shorter deadlines? I find games with those long deadlines get tedious, especially for retreat/build phases.

And if the deadlines get any shorter then I will not be able to continue playing this tournament.
Some of us have jobs, families and other committements that somewhat get in the way of being able to spend every waking moment playing diplomacy.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.

Postby echotwo » 18 Aug 2010, 00:39

Ceebs wrote:I notice that all the PCC games are 72/48/48. Any chance future games could have shorter deadlines? I find games with those long deadlines get tedious, especially for retreat/build phases.

When floating the initial idea for this tournament, rick.leeds said:

- The deadlines will be longer than usual to allow those players who struggle with shorter deadlines to participate (I'm thinking 3/2/2 - can't be much longer or it'll never end ;) )

That this is a condition under which the tournament will be played was clear from the very first post. There was also the beginnings of a discussion as to whether it should be played under shorter deadlines, but it didn't get very far.

Several of us joined because of the deadlines. I certainly did: I find these settings optimal for a good game. I'm usually in a position to finalise my orders 18-24 hours before the deadline, which allows for enough breathing-space. And having the extra time is sometimes useful, either for more protracted negotiations (or changes of plan), or simply because for anyone whose life doesn't revolve around this site, it's pleasant to have a pause before starting on substantial rounds of negotiation.

Yes, occasionally it gets irritating to wait for 48 hours for an obvious disband to be processed because someone hasn't finalised, but the flip-side is that a lot of people are able to participate who otherwise wouldn't, and also I think better-quality games.

As cfisher6 says, there wouldn't be much point in introducing games with different deadlines, because the tournament would then no longer be comparing like with like, and would likely involve a de facto split of the field into self-selecting groups.

And more generally: I don't get what's tedious about a game that doesn't adjudicate until even 2 days after you've entered your orders. I mean: it's not as if you're sitting there watching the clock count down, are you? Just get on with your life, check the messages/press occasionally, and go back to the game after the next adjudication.
echotwo

Postby Zebb » 18 Aug 2010, 00:47

Run another game on the side. Or two or three. I'm in 6 games at the moment, but two are gunship/PPO, and two are in the very endgame basically waiting to wrap up.
Zebb

PreviousNext

Return to Premium Classic Championship [FIN]