Premium Classic Championship TOURNAMENT RULES

A 7-game, 7 countries tournament, that started on 1 August 2010. No resolution.

Premium Classic Championship TOURNAMENT RULES

Postby rick.leeds » 30 Jul 2010, 15:18

A. ORGANISATION
1. The tournament will be run by the Tournament Director (rick.leeds).
2. The TD's role is:
(a) To organise and invite participants to the games.
(b) To ensure the rules of the tournament are met by all participants.
(c) To issue warnings and sanctions against rule breaking.
(d) To hear and review appeals.
(e) To maintain the scoring in the tournament.
3. The TD will be neutral on all issues relating to the Tournament.

B. STRUCTURE
The tournament will be run as a league.
2. The tournament will commence on 1st August 2010 and all entrants MUST have started their seven games by 31 August 2011. DEADLINE EXTENDED.
3. Each entrant will play seven games, one game as each country in Diplomacy.
4. Points will be awarded as: 12pts for a solo, 6pts for a 2-way draw, 4 pts for a 3-way draw, 3pts for a 4-way draw.
5. A secondary system will be used to break ties; this will be the Detour98F system (explained below).
6. For scoring purposes, games will be deemed finished after 1915 Fall Retreats phase. Entrants may continue to play games after game end, but the result will not count for tournament purposes.
NB: As games will be ranked, players will be penalised -1pt on the site rankings should they surrender after game end (but will incur no penalty for tournament purposes).
7. All points will normally be scored on standings at the end of the latest Fall Retreats phase, except:
(a) Should a draw be accepted between a Fall Movement and Fall Retreats phase, any retreats will be taken into account. This means that should a unit have to retreat, and be able to retreat; and should there be an available SC for said unit(s) to retreat to, the unit(s) will be said to have retreated to the SC(s) and scoring will be amended accordingly.
(b) Should the above situation mean two units could retreat to the same SC, both will be deemed to have retreated to that SC and will therefore be disbanded, EXCEPT when the units in question are from the same country when one unit will be deemed to have retreated and the other(s) to have disbanded.
(c) Entrants will NOT be able to order retreats AFTER game end.
(d) Entrants may appeal against a TD decision on retreats, but only if a possible error has been made.
8. Should players be tied on both Primary and Secondary scoring systems, highest number of first places, then second places, then third places, etc (based on end of game SC count) will be used.

C. GAMES
Games will be Classic Diplomacy, anonymous, 72/48/48 with the finalise option.
2. All entrants will be invited to participate in the initial game. The first seven entrants to reply (via PM) will be given the game details (name & password) and will be expected to subscribe and confirm within the site deadlines.
3. For the initial game, all players will select the country they wish to play on the First Come, First Served system.
4. For subsequent games, country selection will be on the following basis:
(a) All entrants will be invited to play and the first seven to reply will be deemed players, as above.
(b) Players involved in their first PCC tournament game will be allowed to choose which country they want to play.
(c) Players involved in their second or subsequent game will be invited to place remaining countries in order of preference, excluding any country they have already played in the tournament.
(d) Players will then be given game details (name, password & country assignment) and will be expected to subscribe and confirm within the site deadlines.
(e) For these games players will select the country using the Preference system. This will mean entering the name of the assigned country IN ALL THREE PREFERENCE BOXES.
(f) In later games, players may be assigned countries with no preference so that entrants don't play a country more than once.
(g) In later games, entrants may be required to enter a certain game so that they don't play a country more than once.

D. ANONYMITY
Entrants must ensure that they remain anonymous whilst the game they are playing is underway. Players are also forbidden to explicitly claim a false identity in a game.
2. Should a bug or something similar cause players to seek technical support from Admin, they should PM the TD to report it.
3. Deliberate revelation of a player's identity will result in a penalty (in the first instance) of -6 pts and -25 Detour points. Subsequent deliberate revelations will result in -12pts and -50 Detour points on all occasions.
4. Should a player reveal his identity accidentally (as deemed by the TD only) no penalty will be handed down. This includes another entrant being able to work out the player's identity and/or revealing that to others.
5. Maintaining anonymity does not prevent players from:
(a) Speculating about the identity of other players;
(b) Revealing the possible identity of other players;
(c) Attempting to work out the identity of other players, or
(d) Suggesting that another player is one's self.
All speculation about identities must remain in the game, though; that is, via in-game messages and/or shoutbox.

E. SURRENDERING/RESIGNING FROM THE TOURNAMENT/FAILING TO SUBSCRIBE OR CONFIRM
1. Surrendering from a game

(a) Should players surrender from a game, whether voluntarily or automatically, whilst the game is active, penalties will be:
[i] No units in play: no penalty, but 0 Detour points awarded.
[ii] Units in play: in the first instance, -12pts and -10 Detour points per unit remaining; for a subsequent action, ELIMINATION from the tournament.
(b) Should players require a substitute, please see SUBSTITUTES below.
2. Resigning from the tournament
(a) Where possible, entrants should inform the TD of this necessity, so that a replacement can be found.
(b) Once an entrant has resigned, s/he may not return at a later date (eg. should a resignation be forced by an entrant being unable or unwilling to renew Premium membership).
3. Failing to subscribe/confirm
(a) Failure to subscribe to a game will result in the following penalties:
[i] First occasion: no penalty. The player(s) will be invited to join the game again.
[ii] Subsequent occasion (same game): no penalty. A new player(s) will be sought from the tournament entrants.
[iii] Failure to subscribe in two different games: -6pts and -25 Detour pts.
[iv] Failure to subscribe in three different games: expulsion from the tournament.
(b) Failure to confirm playing a game will result in the following penalties:
[i] First occasion: -6pts and -25 Detour pts. A new player(s) will be sought from the tournament entrants for the new game.
[ii] Second occasion: expulsion from the tournament
4. TD's role in the event of a surrender or resignation
(a) In the event of a surrender, the TD will attempt to contact the entrant via email and PM to establish the cause of surrender.
(b) Should the entrant wish to remain in the tournament (if that option is available) the TD will issue HOLD orders for the country in Civil Disorder; no replacement will be sought.
(c) Should an entrant resign from the tournament, be expelled or otherwise resign voluntarily, the TD will issue HOLD orders for the player's country in any active game(s) whilst seeking a replacement.
(d) The TD will attempt to find a permanent replacement to take over the resigned player's position in games and in the tournament.
(e) In the case of a resignation only, if no permanent replacement can be found, the TD will attempt to find a replacement for the active game(s).
(f) if no replacement can be found, the TD will play the country/ies in Civil Disorder, as in E4(b) above.

F. SUBTITUTES
If an emergency means that a player requires a temporary substitute in a game, the player must inform the TD about this.
2. Players will have responsibility for finding a temporary substitute themselves.
3. Substitutes may not be involved in any games the player is involved in, may not be active tournament entrants nor previous entrants expelled from the tournament. Substitutes may be reserve entrants or previous entrants who have resigned from the tournament.
4. If a player cannot find a temporary substitute, or if a player requests, the TD will substitute for ONE TURN ONLY (ie: Spring Movement and Retreats; Fall Movement, Retreats and Builds/Disbands). In this case players must provide the TD with diplomatic strategy and provisional orders for movement and any retreats/builds/disbands.
5. The TD will NOT initiate any diplomacy with other players, whether in alliance or not, but will reply to diplomacy.
6. The TD will attempt to follow the provided provisional orders but will amend these if necessary.
7. The TD may substitute for more than one player in a single game. If provided orders clash, the TD will follow those orders to the letter.
8. Should the player fail to find a substitute, or should the period of substitution extend beyond one turn, the units will be in Civil Disorder.

G. BUGS
Should a problem develop in the game, players should inform the TD (in accordance with section D above).
2. If the TD decides the problem may be a bug, the majority of players may agree to hold orders and the game will be extended by the required number of turns whilst the case is investigated. In this case, a majority decision MUST be followed by all players and the TD will enforce HOLD orders.
3. Upon receiving a request for a game to be held, the TD will poll players by PM. No reply will be deemed acceptance of the HOLD request.
3. It will not be considered a bug if a player believes the orders entered do not match the orders used for adjudication.

H. GENERAL PENALTIES
The TD will enforce all site rules, regardless of an entrants tournament standing.
2. The TD reserves the right to expel from the tournament any entrant under extraordinary circumstances. Entrants may appeal the decision.

Detour98F scoring system
Detour98F is the secondary scoring system. It will be used to break ties when entrants have equal tournament points.
Initial Phase
Each player surviving to order units in Spring 1905: 1 point.
Surviving to the end of the game: 1 point.*
Each supply centre owned at the end of game: 1 point.
Supply Centre leader: 4 points; 2nd:3pts; 3rd:2pts; 4th:1pt. (Ties score the lowest point total, eg. two people tied on SC count in 2nd place score 2pts.)
The SC leader scores the difference in SCs between him and the player in second place (eg, Russia holds 12 SCs, England holds 9SCs, Russia scores 3pts).
Second Phase
Find each players' raw score (total of points scored above).
Find the total of points awarded in the game (total of raw scores).
For each player, divide the raw score by the game total and multiply this quotient by 100.
This percentage is the Detour points awarded to the player. Scores will be rounded to one decimal place.
A SOLO SCORES 110 DETOUR POINTS AND ALL OTHER PLAYERS SCORE 0.
*In the official Detour98F system, this section states: "If you are in the draw at the end of the game then you get a point." It is my reading that this is based on DIAS, not the site system, so I have altered this as stated.

Game ending at the end of 1915
In this case, each surviving player's Detour98F percentage is used to determine a percentage of 12.
This will be the number of Tournament Points players receive, rounded to one decimal place.

.... and that about covers it all (I hope: no doubt I'll have forgotten something ;) ). If you've any questions, ask away.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Premium Classic Championship TOURNAMENT RULES

Postby sevenoaks » 30 Jul 2010, 15:24

How do I join the Tournament or is it too late
sevenoaks

All-game rating: 4667

Postby Lord Darkside » 30 Jul 2010, 15:41

This is going to be fun.
Lt. Gen. James Longstreet: General Lee, if they put every man they have on this side of the Rappahannock; you give me enough ammunition and I'll kill every one of them."
Lord Darkside

Standard rating: (1037)
All-game rating: (1042)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby TheCraw » 30 Jul 2010, 15:59

sevenoaks wrote:How do I join the Tournament or is it too late

Sign-ups are in THIS Thread:
http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14215

as mentioned in that thread: "THE CLOSING DATE FOR SIGN-UPS IS JULY 31st 2010."
So, you have today to sign up.
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Sheddy » 30 Jul 2010, 16:25

rick is the boss and his word is law, but I'm just wondering if there is a possible conflict between rule D1 and D5(a,b). Would it be permissible for me to speculate that another player might be Sheddy or to reveal that the possible identity of another player is Sheddy? Would this count as me, Sheddy, claiming a false identity?

I suppose in general that any player could be anybody, so speculating that another player could be oneself would be lost in the noise.

But is it worth having as a guideline, if not a rule, that each game should be played on its own merits without any public discussion about the identity of any player. However, private speculations by in-game message are allowed. And in the event that any public identification is made, it is covered by rick's rules.
Nation shall speak peace unto nation
- at least until spring 1901 orders are opened.

Do you dislike games spoiled by surrenders and missed orders? If so, please consider adding your name to the database of reliable players at The Classicists
Sheddy

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1043)
All-game rating: (1051)

Postby rick.leeds » 30 Jul 2010, 16:58

Sheddy wrote:rick is the boss and his word is law, but I'm just wondering if there is a possible conflict between rule D1 and D5(a,b). Would it be permissible for me to speculate that another player might be Sheddy or to reveal that the possible identity of another player is Sheddy? Would this count as me, Sheddy, claiming a false identity?

I suppose in general that any player could be anybody, so speculating that another player could be oneself would be lost in the noise.

I've no problem with speculating that somebody is one's self. I don't see that as claiming a false identity; by that I meant explicitly claiming that one is someone else. Of course you're right; there is some ambiguity and so I've altered the rules to reflect this as far as I can. Implicitly claiming a false identity by nominating another player as being one's self I'll allow.

Sheddy wrote:But is it worth having as a guideline, if not a rule, that each game should be played on its own merits without any public discussion about the identity of any player. However, private speculations by in-game message are allowed. And in the event that any public identification is made, it is covered by rick's rules.

And yes this needed further clarifying too. I have changed D5 to emphasis that any speculation should be in-game, not out of game... and in game includes the shoutbox.

Thanks, Sheddy.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby echotwo » 31 Jul 2010, 13:22

Hi Rick,

Just a request for clarification: have I understood correctly that site-points and detour98f points will be calculated for all games, that the league rankings will be determined by the site-points, and that detour98f points will be used to differentiate between players with the same number of site-points at the end of the tournament?

If so, sounds good. It will also be interesting to see how the notional detour98f ranking compares to the official ranking by site-points.
echotwo

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby rick.leeds » 31 Jul 2010, 15:03

echotwo wrote:Hi Rick,

Just a request for clarification: have I understood correctly that site-points and detour98f points will be calculated for all games, that the league rankings will be determined by the site-points, and that detour98f points will be used to differentiate between players with the same number of site-points at the end of the tournament?

Exactly. Positions in the table will be sorted by:
1st - tournament points (site points)
2nd - Detour98F points (to break any ties above)
3rd - Aggregated SCs held at the end of games (to break any ties above) - although I don't expect this to play a major part over seven games; it's just there as a fail-safe.

echotwo wrote:If so, sounds good. It will also be interesting to see how the notional detour98f ranking compares to the official ranking by site-points.

It will be an interesting comparison, yes, although it will be slightly off. If the tournament was scored principally upon Detour98F we'd have different games. It's a different strategy involved when you're playing to score points for a solo and draws. Using the site system as principal scoring, it's acceptable to have fewer SCs than an ally, for instance. If it was Detour98F, the ideal would be to be SC leader at the end of the game.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rick.leeds » 01 Aug 2010, 02:15

An update.

I've been thinking about this today. Originally I had this hierarchy for determining league positions:

rick.leeds wrote:1st - tournament points (site points)
2nd - Detour98F points (to break any ties above)
3rd - Aggregated SCs held at the end of games (to break any ties above) - although I don't expect this to play a major part over seven games; it's just there as a fail-safe.

It was the 3rd determiner that was giving me pause. I'm not sure that's as good a system as it might be, and looking at other tournament systems (not on site) I found what I consider to be a better system. So I changed this to:
3rd - Number of 1st places, then 2nd places, then 3rd places, etc (based on SC count) at the end of games.

The reason I think this is better is that it will better reflect what went on in the tournament. Whether it would actually produce a different result to aggregated SCs is debatable, but I believe that someone who manages 4 first places should receive a higher reward than someone with three first places and more SCs while doing so.

NB: elimination will be considered a non-placement.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The SHIV » 04 Aug 2010, 00:54

I gotta wait like 5 more days just for the game to start after confirming. :shock: Then what? Another 6 to get the first turn in? Holy crap Batman! I could be dead by then! :o I am an "oldie" ya know! ;) Can't we speed up the beginning somehow just to get things rolling? :cry:
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1140
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Premium Classic Championship [FIN]