Premium Classic Championship question for entrants

A 7-game, 7 countries tournament, that started on 1 August 2010. No resolution.

What should the date be for games in the tournament to finish for scoring purposes?

Poll ended at 30 Jul 2010, 22:35

No votes
13%
88%

Total votes : 16

Re: Premium Classic Championship question for entrants

Postby his_flyness » 28 Jul 2010, 05:35

cfisher6 wrote:This may have been covered elsewhere but I can't remember seeing it. If the game ends and all the players are unable to accept any draw proposals, what would happen as far as the site scoring system for the tournament? Would none of the surviving players receive any points?

Of course they'd still receive site points (assuming the games aren't norank, which I assume is up to rick.leeds). Even if the game is "over" at 1915 as far as detour98f is concerned, that doesn't prevent the game from going on for years afterwords, at least as far as site points are concerned. However, as of 1915 detour98f points will be computed. Detour98f scoring is substantially different than typical site scoring and isn't very concerned with "draws" as defined by the site.

cfisher6 wrote:And also, from what I understand the Detour98 system is only for final points total ties and may not even come into play?

This is my understanding.
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." The Godfather
his_flyness

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1214)
All-game rating: (1209)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby cdb002 » 28 Jul 2010, 07:36

his_flyness wrote:Of course they'd still receive site points (assuming the games aren't norank, which I assume is up to rick.leeds). Even if the game is "over" at 1915 as far as detour98f is concerned, that doesn't prevent the game from going on for years afterwords, at least as far as site points are concerned. However, as of 1915 detour98f points will be computed. Detour98f scoring is substantially different than typical site scoring and isn't very concerned with "draws" as defined by the site.

Thanks, but I guess I didn't word my question too clearly. I'm not asking about the site scoring for rank purposes, but about the tournament. From what I understand the principal scoring system is done by the regular site points--so a solo is worth 12, 2-way is 6 etc etc. We would only use Detour98f for ties that may come about with the participants' total points of all 7 games. (Not 100% on this, so please don't crucify me).

What I'm asking is what would happen if no draw or solo is reached by the deadline? Would each player receive no points as there is no "winner"? I'd assume the Detour98f points would still be calculated in the event of a total points draw. As rare as this might be, I could imagine several scenarios that might bring it about.
cdb002

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby echotwo » 28 Jul 2010, 15:13

Would a draw not simply be awarded, in terms of the tournament, to all players still on the board at the determined end-point? (I think his_flyness might be right that it would be easier to use detour98f throughout, rather than two occasionally contradictory systems.)
echotwo

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby rick.leeds » 29 Jul 2010, 00:39

Sorry, I'll explain what is how it works (I'd intended putting up a Tournament Rules thread today but then again I intended to do a lot of things today :roll: ).

If a game finishes at the end of 1915 with no resolution I go to the Detour98F system. I find the Detour percentage and use this to find those points. But I also use that percentage to score the principal tournament points.

All surviving players will therefore receive a percentage of the 12 points on offer. This is done by using the Detour98F% x 12. So, for instance, if a player scores 50pts using Detour98F, the calculation for main points is 50% x 12. This figure will be rounded to the first decimal place.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Premium Classic Championship [FIN]