Premium Classic Championship... idea to kick around

A 7-game, 7 countries tournament, that started on 1 August 2010. No resolution.

Re: Premium Classic Championship... idea to kick around

Postby The O » 10 Jul 2010, 02:52

Allies? That's pretty optimistic.
The O

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (885)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby echotwo » 10 Jul 2010, 03:42

rshivy wrote:Count me in. But can't we speed things up a bit? 3/2/2 seems like an eternity to me! I'd prob forget I was even playing a game let alone who my allies were. ;)

Some of us signed up in part because of the condition that the deadlines were 3/2/2. If you can't handle something with those deadlines, there are plenty of other games you can join.
echotwo

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby cdb002 » 10 Jul 2010, 04:13

One of the reasons I was interested was due to the 3/2/2 deadlines, it allows for better communication between players I feel and is kind towards those whose schedules can quickly get busy. I think with the higher echelon players this event seems to be attracting, speed deadlines will probably be used more often than usual--especially with retreat and build/disband phases.

But I was thinking, since players are not required to join a game (until the later part of the championship) could the deadlines be varied between different games and players can choose which deadline suits them best? Or do we want everything standardized?

To play Devil's Advocate to my own suggestion, one problem would be that players would self-select into different groups and you'd be likely to constantly play the same group.
cdb002

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 10 Jul 2010, 09:31

Sign-up thread (if you haven't already): here.

rshivy wrote:Count me in. But can't we speed things up a bit? 3/2/2 seems like an eternity to me! I'd prob forget I was even playing a game let alone who my allies were. ;)

We could go for 2/2/2 if players want. There needs to be ample time for players to diplomatise and get there orders in, but I won't change the deadlines if there is a strong disagreement to that. Let me know.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby echotwo » 10 Jul 2010, 12:54

cfisher6 wrote:But I was thinking, since players are not required to join a game (until the later part of the championship) could the deadlines be varied between different games and players can choose which deadline suits them best? Or do we want everything standardized?

To play Devil's Advocate to my own suggestion, one problem would be that players would self-select into different groups and you'd be likely to constantly play the same group.

I think that's the best reason to keep it standardised. If it's going to be a championship rather than a set of one-off games, I think the games need to be played under more or less the same conditions for the results to mean anything. And 24-hour games are so completely different in nature from 72-hour games that [sentence finished on edit] there's hardly any point in comparing them.

With people playing in so many different time-zones, I'd be strongly opposed to anything less than 72-hour deadlines, which in my (limited) experience is the minimum that allows me to communicate sufficiently even with the less reliable communicators or those who aren't online that much.
echotwo

Postby his_flyness » 19 Jul 2010, 20:48

I know the ship has somewhat sailed on this, but I was wondering if changing the scoring system slightly would make for a better tournament. Would you be willing to consider using the Detour98f scoring system as the primary scoring system, with all games considered finished at 1910 (obviously, if a game was still ongoing, players could continue to play for normal site points, just no tournament points would be accrued after this time). I see several advantages. First, the detour scoring system encourages a more fluid (and to my mind, interesting) style of play. Second, the scoring cutoff will shorten the time necessary to complete the tournament. Finally, ties are much less likely in the detour scoring system, which will help reduce the risk of draws. Paying attention to a normal scoring system and a backup is complicated (my opinion on the subject may be somewhat biased because my team got pushed out of the top 3 in the Doubles tournament based on the second tiebreaker which I didn't pay enough attention to during the games! :o ) This is also how league games were scored, and I found them to be of consistently higher quality than other games on this site.

Obviously, it's a bit late in the process for me to be making these comments, so no offense (or lack of interest) will result if you prefer to stick with the currently planned scoring system.
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." The Godfather
his_flyness

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1214)
All-game rating: (1209)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 25 Jul 2010, 22:23

My original idea was to give the tournament the same flavour as regular games, hence the choice of the site system as primary scoring system and Detour98F as the tie-breaker. I think that as the site system was the one people signed up for, I'll keep it this time.

As for the tournament end-of-game scoring, I was thinking of using the site's 1915 date, but am open to suggestions. 1910 may be a little short, so maybe 1912 as a compromise?

I'll throw up a different thread to canvass ideas.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stewart21 » 30 Jul 2010, 14:37

Sounds good, would be interested!
Stewart21

Standard rating: (981)
All-game rating: (964)

Postby rick.leeds » 30 Jul 2010, 15:56

RULES thread now out there.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Premium Classic Championship [FIN]