Premium Classic Championship... idea to kick around

A 7-game, 7 countries tournament, that started on 1 August 2010. No resolution.

Premium Classic Championship... idea to kick around

Postby rick.leeds » 04 Jun 2010, 16:14

OK, I had a thought (they're few and far between so I noticed it easily ;) )....

The basic idea is this:
- This will be a league, open to any number of premium players.
- Each player will play a total of seven games, one game as each country. (I'll explain the details of how I'll manage this below).
- Players will have a maximum of one year to enter their seven games.
- Any game will be open to any player signed-up to enter, allowing players to join games when they're ready.
- The games will be anonymous.
- Games will be scored on the site system... 12/6/4/3 pts with Detour98F used for tie-breaks in the table.
- The deadlines will be longer than usual to allow those players who struggle with shorter deadlines to participate (I'm thinking 3/2/2 - can't be much longer or it'll never end ;) )
- My role will be to keep track of who plays which games and to ensure that players don't enter more than 7 games in total.

So, what do you think?

It has to Premium as the games will be anonymous and will have speed deadlines to cut down time at the later stages of a game. Games will be ranked as, effectively, they should be like any other site game. Obviously at the later stages, players will possibly have to join certain games to ensure all have played the full seven.

Managing who plays which country
For the first game, I'll send out an invitation to all participants to enter the game. They will have the choice of first come, first served. Players who choose to play the first game will then be expected to reply to the invitation to play with the country they chose (and later confirm that they are actually playing that country). Subsequent games will be more complicated. Those games will be by preference only. Players will then either get to choose which country they play (entering the country in each of the three preference boxes) if it is their first game, or be assigned a country they HAVEN'T played if it is NOT their first game. As the Championship progresses, players may be required to enter certain games, to ensure that the seven countries rule is met.

Surrendering
Obviously, surrendering could be a problem, both in game and mid-tournament. As such, if you need to be away from the site for a short time, you will need to find a sub. I will be available for this... but I will only follow GIVEN directions for ONE TURN (movement and retreats/disbands/builds as necessary). Any longer than this and you will have to find a substitute from outside the Championship.
This doesn't prevent unforeseen absences, however. If you think there may be a problem with maintaining Premium for up to and possibly over a year, then think twice before entering the Championship, for instance. If something changes in real life and you need to drop out, please let me know and we'll look at finding a replacement.
Voluntarily surrendering from a game without giving prior notice will mean a player runs the risk of being automatically replaced (there will need to be a very good reason for this not to happen) in the game AND the Championship. The replacement would inherit the original player's position.
If it looks like the Championship won't be able to finish because of irreplaceable drop-outs, I'll seek players who are willing to play games as a one-off.

I hope it's obvious that I'm looking for people who are committed to seeing the tournament through, no matter what position they find themselves in (ie not players who will drop out mid-tournament just because they don't think they're doing well enough).

This isn't a sign-up thread, it's an discussion thread. If you're interested, by all means use it let that interest be known. If there's enough interest, I'll start an official thread with rules and for sign-ups.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Premium Classic Championship... idea to kick around

Postby TheYank » 04 Jun 2010, 16:26

How many players are you thinking for this?

And I worry that leaving it too much in the hands of the participants might lead to some confusion and games being played where a player is repeating a country.
Winner of Greed!
Come watch Renaissance Diplomacy! See our sub-forum for more info.
Silver member of The Classicists.
TheYank

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 04 Jun 2010, 16:45

Interested, but one question. 7 games each - fine. But you also said you'd make sure nobody entered more than 10 - that doesn't make sense (to me at any rate); and even if it does to you, if I enter 10 how do you decide which 7 to count?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby rick.leeds » 04 Jun 2010, 16:58

TheYank wrote:How many players are you thinking for this?

As many as are interested. If there is enough interest, I'll set up the sign-up thread and set a deadline for entry.

TheYank wrote:And I worry that leaving it too much in the hands of the participants might lead to some confusion and games being played where a player is repeating a country.

Only the very first game will be completely open. ALL subsequent games that have a player who is playing their 2nd or other game, be assigned countries. However, it will be up to players to decide if they are playing a game.

To explain the process further:
The initial game will involve invites being sent to ALL entrants. The first seven replies stating players will enter the game will be accepted. I will then set that game up, send out passwords and the players would choose which country they want (although I may randomise the first game as it doesn't matter in the long run).
Subsequent games would follow the same pattern as far as invitations being sent. The difference will be that if players are playing there 2nd, 3rd, etc game they will be assigned a country to play.
As the tournament progresses, some players will be required to enter certain games to complete their full complement of seven and ensure players are getting all seven countries overall. That needs to be kept in mind. This may mean that some players will play a number of games early on, some play games later.

I think it will be better for players to choose - as a far as possible - whether they want to commit to a game or not. This means they can avoid playing games when they know they will have time away from site (holidays, etc) and play when they have time. Players can also have some freedom in deciding how many games they want to play at one time.

It may be tricky to work out, but the more people who get involved the easier it will be to implement. If there are few people involved, it may be necessary to assign players to games AND countries early on.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheYank » 04 Jun 2010, 17:00

Ok. That makes a bit more sense to me now.
Winner of Greed!
Come watch Renaissance Diplomacy! See our sub-forum for more info.
Silver member of The Classicists.
TheYank

Postby rick.leeds » 04 Jun 2010, 17:02

Pedros wrote:Interested, but one question. 7 games each - fine. But you also said you'd make sure nobody entered more than 10 - that doesn't make sense (to me at any rate); and even if it does to you, if I enter 10 how do you decide which 7 to count?

Ah my bad. I originally had the idea of playing 10 games, a nice round number and the number of games the Fading Echoes system works around. There would then have been completely random country assignments. But I worried that ten games might be too many... dabbled with five... and then settled on seven ;)

The original post has been edited to cover up my mistake :oops:
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cdb002 » 04 Jun 2010, 18:04

I'm interested. Would replacement players simply play out the game for the game's sake, or actually have their results count towards their own status in the tournament? I can imagine times when a player might want to jump into a game so it's not too adversely affected by Civil Disorder, but not want that to affect his status.
cdb002

Postby echotwo » 04 Jun 2010, 18:11

colour me interested.
echotwo

Postby GhostEcho » 04 Jun 2010, 18:17

I'd be interested in this.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 979

Postby QueenOfHearts » 04 Jun 2010, 18:28

Sounds great Rick.
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´QoH`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨Always played, never won!˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´

Thanks to SidneyKidney for my sexy avatar. It has a copyright on it.
QueenOfHearts
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to Premium Classic Championship [FIN]