Using the forum to influence a game... in the FUTURE!?

Etiquette and guidelines

Using the forum to influence a game... in the FUTURE!?

Postby Petunia » 17 Feb 2013, 04:09

We all know that using the forum to influence an active game is against the rules.

However - is there a House Rule on using the forum to possibly influence future games?

Allow me to explain, and to give an example. One thing I do when I find myself interested in an opponent is to look up their forum history. Have they expressed views on general strategy, their strengths or weaknesses as a player, opinions on particular openings or alliances, etc. If I find anything pertinent, I use the knowledge to influence my decisions in the game - as I suspect anyone would agree is perfectly legitimate.

I have, on two occasions in the past, expressed on the forum - as a topical part of a discussion, innocent of any foul intent - that should I draw Turkey in a game where Russia desired to try moving his southern fleet through Constantinople in S02 as precursor to a Juggernaut, I would allow it for the sake of novelty (amazingly, in two games since, I have drawn Turkey and offered this arrangement to Russia myself - referencing my forum posts on the subject - and in both cases Russia declined!).

In similar fashion, I've decided today that the next time I draw Italy, I shall open to Piedmont. As I came to that decision, I thought I might post this intention on the forum. I then realized that in doing so I would be consciously attempting to influence a game via the forum, which is explicitly forbidden - except that the game I'd be trying to influence doesn't exist yet. For which there is no House Rule that I am aware of.

Thoughts from the community or TPTB? Allowable (if overly clever), or skirting dangerously close to meta-gaming?
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Using the forum to influence a game... in the FUTURE!?

Postby sock » 17 Feb 2013, 04:19

Funny post, Petunia, since I have seen that phenomenon in recent games....players actually quote back to me old posts involving strategy. Just another good reason to stick to anonymous games. ;)

I might add to anyone that reads this post...remember player tendencies are almost always dependent upon the other players around the board. There are some preferred approaches that I like to do...but it almost always depends upon my reading of who is around the board, their own tendencies, and who might make great allies. Or as stock brokers like to say...past performance does not predict future success...
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Standard rating: (1149)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Rsharpe » 17 Feb 2013, 05:41

You could do so many :twisted: things by lying about your actual strategic ideals on the forum
GM of History of the World. Join here

Master of making statements that are maddeningly ambiguous and subject to no less than half a dozen possible interpretations

The Fateful Moment
Rsharpe

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby gareth66 » 17 Feb 2013, 09:09

Yes I've often been cautious about posting too much in the Strategy section of the forum for fear of giving future opponents an inkling of what I might do in a particular situation. And yet that section of the forum is a very useful wealth of information and ideas and it would be wrong (not in keeping withh its purpose) if people started using the Strategy section to post misinformation or to promote strategic ideas that are actually intentionally lousy.

Interesting issue this. Perhaps posts in the Strategy section should be anonymous? Or maybe you should not be able to access posts made by your opponents whilst you are in an active game?
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby diplomat42 » 18 Feb 2013, 04:08

Anonymous posts=hell.
BAD BAD BAD idea.

As for this, I'd say if you post "Damn the torpedoes, next time I draw Italy, I swear I will enter Ven-Pie" that's illegal, but "As Italy, I'd like to try opening to Piedmont for a change" is legal--I think it's the specificness, IMHO.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Petunia » 18 Feb 2013, 04:18

diplomat42 wrote: I'd say if you post "Damn the torpedoes, next time I draw Italy, I swear I will enter Ven-Pie" that's illegal

Why?
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby diplomat42 » 18 Feb 2013, 04:45

Petunia wrote:
diplomat42 wrote: I'd say if you post "Damn the torpedoes, next time I draw Italy, I swear I will enter Ven-Pie" that's illegal

Why?

Because it's using out-of-game to change in-game, IMHO.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 20 Feb 2013, 07:57

I'm not a Hunter and don't have detailed knowledge of the nuances of what is and isn't considered illegal metagaming. But an informed opinion in response to Petunia's original question: it couldbe perceived as an offer of a future alliance and as such a subtle form of metagaming. If it isn't illegal it should be!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Return to The Forum & Communicating