Why was I demoted?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Why was I demoted?

Postby das da » 19 Apr 2021, 22:59

I was an Ambassador but now I'm a Diplomat. Why did this happen?

The only thing I can think of was that I was auto-surrendered in a game where I NMR for two turns (well, obviously).

But that was a game I entered as a replacement player. France had one Center left which Germany captured in the Spring. France destroyed his last unit and then left the game. I joined (as a favor to move the game along) and had one Center, which Germany was occupying, and no units. So no units = no orders, and the game gave me an NMR. I posted the situation on the bugs page, the situation was resolved, and we went on. Still no units, so no moves, another NMR, and I'm kicked from the game.

So I don't think I should have been demoted. I had no opportunity to do anything other than NMR. And I don't think I should be penalized for trying to help other players out...
das da

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1076
All-game rating: 1081
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Why was I demoted?

Postby Pops2112 » 20 Apr 2021, 18:26

Hi, @ das da. I hope @super_dipsy takes a look at this, I remember the thread you started about this game when you were in it and you thought you were stuck in a loop. I am surprised that the system can give you NMR if you have zero units. Is that definitely what happened? If you have no units to command, the system should not be expecting you to enter orders and so (I would say) it should not trigger 'defaulter' coding if you enter no orders.
Proud Oldie & Gold Classicist
Pops2112
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1069
All-game rating: 1066
Timezone: GMT

Re: Why was I demoted?

Postby das da » 22 Apr 2021, 02:51

I agree with what you said, but I don't know any other reason I could have been demoted.

I only have the NMR from that game and NO others. And the NMR in that game was not my fault.

I have NEVER surrendered a game.

So I have no idea why this happened.

I have to admit, I'm more than just a little ticked off.
das da

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1076
All-game rating: 1081
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions