Want to write an Invalid Order

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Want to write an Invalid Order

Postby bratsffl » 09 Feb 2021, 21:07

Thought I saw a workaround long ago?

Example: I have an army in Mos. I want to do A MOS suppt Rum to Sev. There is NO unit in Rum or Sev, but I still want this to be my order for Mos.
How do I do, it keeps changing it.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Never surrender

Oldie
Classicists
bratsffl
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 933
All-game rating: 1035
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Want to write an Invalid Order

Postby Perygl » 09 Feb 2021, 21:20

Have you tried pointing and clicking instead of using the menu-based order entry? The point-and-click method has allowed me to enter illegal orders now and then... to my detriment. :mrgreen:
Once I was tipsy and I was doing magic and I broke a salt shaker.
Perygl
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 888
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby MisterPlant » 09 Feb 2021, 23:05

Perygl is correct.A world of cocked up orders await! ...Wasn’t it the Japanese that bombed pearl Harbour?
MisterPlant
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1632
All-game rating: 1833
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pops2112 » 10 Feb 2021, 09:32

I think Perygl / MisterPlant are only partly right. I have found that the system will let you enter some but not all kinds of invalid order. I have not attempted to work out comprehensively what kinds you can and what kinds you cannot order. But, for example, if you have a Fleet in Tunis, the system will let you enter Tun s Mar-Pie or even Tun s Mar-Bur, AS LONG AS THERE IS A UNIT IN MARSEILLES. The fact the supported movement is not one that can be supported by the unit receiving the support order does not seem to put the system off - you can enter the order, it will just be invalid when orders resolve, but that kind of order can then be used for signalling allegiance in Gunboat or as an 'accident' (to be followed by a cover story of fat fingers on an iPhone on a bumpy train).

Or again, Tun s NAfr-WMS can be entered (I believe), even if the unit in North Africa is an Army so the movement supposedly supported (to W.Med) is a movement it cannot make.

However, I think the system will not let you even enter A s B - C, if there is no unit in location B. That is an oddity and not true to the board game. For example, suppose a Fleet in the Gulf of Lyon, a unit in Piedmont, Marseilles is empty, and you want (or have been asked) to order the GoL Fleet to support Pie-Mar. Obviously the correct order is GoL s Pie-Mar, but if (accidentally or on purpose) you try to enter it the wrong way round, GoL s Mar-Pie, I believe the system won't let you do that, although playing the board game you could write that down and it would (should) be ruled to fail as an invalid order when orders are resolved.
Proud Oldie & Gold Classicist
Pops2112
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1042
All-game rating: 1045

Postby Perygl » 10 Feb 2021, 16:20

Hmmm, I just tested it and I believe Pops2112 is right. I'm playing a Hundreds game now and got the computer to accept weird commands like "The fleet in English Channel will convoy Limousin to Provence," but it would not do so unless there was a unit (army or fleet!) in location B.
Once I was tipsy and I was doing magic and I broke a salt shaker.
Perygl
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 888
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby MisterPlant » 10 Feb 2021, 16:36

Kudos to pops for properly researching the topic rather than my own generally vaguely correct answer..I still say it was the japs bombed pearl harbour though.
MisterPlant
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1632
All-game rating: 1833

Postby bratsffl » 12 Feb 2021, 19:22

In Summary:
1) You cant write any order originating in a location you dont have a unit. - pretty obvious
2) You cant write a support order supporting a non occupied location.
3) You cant write an order for a fleet to move to an inland area.
4) You cant write an order for an army to move to a sea.

BUT, You can write an order for ANY unit of yours to support ANY unit to ANY location, regardless of either units ability to move there!
Ex1: EC suppt Mos-Mun; Assuming EC is yours and Mos is occupied
Ex2: Mos suppt EC-Aeg; Assuming Mos is yours and EC is occupied

Reason I asked on here is I thought long ago(showing my real age), you could do 2,3, or 4?
I also thought at one time there was a confirmation box/pop up to insure you wanted to write an invalid order?
Maybe that was deemed a bug and closed? Or maybe it was all a dream and JR never got shot?

So is there enough reason to allow (request a modification) to allow 2, 3 or 4?
And/Or add confirmation boxes for other invalid orders?
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Never surrender

Oldie
Classicists
bratsffl
Premium Member

Standard rating: 933
All-game rating: 1035
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions