confusion about rules

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

confusion about rules

Postby scotwilsn72 » 22 Jan 2021, 10:04

so I'm new to this game and there are 2 situations that happened of which I don't understand what the result is:

A bul - ser

A gre S A bul - ser

A alb - gre
A ser S A alb - gre

A fin- swe

F bal S A fin - swe

F swe - bal
scotwilsn72

Re: confusion about rules

Postby WHSeward » 22 Jan 2021, 10:37

These two cases are resolved under the following rule in the guides tab (glossed from the official rules)
19. Support is “cut” if the supporting unit is attacked from any province except the one where support is being given. Cut support is not added to the force of another unit.

In your first case, both powers are supporting a unit to move, but in both cases the support is cut under rule 19, and therefore no unit moves and all the units bounce 1v1.

In your second case 2 units are attacking 1 and therefore F Swe is dislodged. NB, F Swe-Bal does not cut the support of F Bal under rule 19, because the cut is coming from the province F Bal is helping attack. The idea is a unit cant cut support against itself to turn a 2v1 into a cut and a 1v1.

Hope that helps.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: confusion about rules

Postby Latanst1 » 22 Jan 2021, 11:17

The third tab near the top of each page is "Orders Solver". This is a great tool for testing moves and for better understanding some of the more obscure moves. Some of the geography can be difficult to fully understand and this tool is also very good at helping newer players anticipate the results of their own possible moves.

Good luck!
Latanst1

scotwilsn72 wrote:so I'm new to this game and there are 2 situations that happened of which I don't understand what the result is:

A bul - ser

A gre S A bul - ser

A alb - gre
A ser S A alb - gre

A fin- swe

F bal S A fin - swe

F swe - bal
Latanst1
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1198