Tried to move both fleets to the North Sea

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Tried to move both fleets to the North Sea

Postby Synche » 24 Jan 2019, 23:00

Did they bounce off each other? Neither moved. Both my fleets are where they were supposed to be on turn 1.
Synche

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (977)
All-game rating: (977)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Tried to move both fleets to the North Sea

Postby Tortellacci » 25 Jan 2019, 00:32

Yes, that is called a self-bounce. For instance, if you move Brest and MAO (both French fleets) to English Channel, neither supporting the other, you will bounce. The benefit of this is that you can guard three provinces with only two units, but be wary, someone can be sneaky and support one of your units in, making it a 2v1.
Tortellacci

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1261
All-game rating: 1478
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Phlegmatic » 25 Jan 2019, 00:38

Yes that’s right, they will have bounced each other.

Sometimes it’s a very clever tactic as a way of using two units to defend three places.
Imagine you feared a French fleet would move into the North Sea but you couldn’t afford to leave London and Edinburgh vacant.
What to do?

If you bounce both yours in North Sea they stay in their starting locations, but unless the French fleet is supported it will also bounce off them. London, Edinburgh AND North Sea are defended by just two fleets.

Of course if the French player is REALLY sneaky he might instead support London into North Sea in which case it doesn’t bounce. Instead it enters North Sea using unwanted French support, and you find it out of position!

So self-bounces are really useful, but be wary of cunning opponents... :D
Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1373
All-game rating: 1467

Postby Synche » 25 Jan 2019, 03:18

Thanks friends. I am curious this puts me basically 1 army behind the entire game. This isn't like a game ender, is it? There was some comment in the news section that thinks I'm dead. I am thinking it might just be funny language look at the newb kind of a thing, but I am curious if you guys think it's much worse than I think it is.

Obviously its not good cause I miss the first supply, but I don't feel like I am crippled. Is that true?
Synche

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (977)
All-game rating: (977)

Postby Tortellacci » 25 Jan 2019, 06:08

Synche wrote:Thanks friends. I am curious this puts me basically 1 army behind the entire game. This isn't like a game ender, is it? There was some comment in the news section that thinks I'm dead. I am thinking it might just be funny language look at the newb kind of a thing, but I am curious if you guys think it's much worse than I think it is.

Obviously its not good cause I miss the first supply, but I don't feel like I am crippled. Is that true?

It depends on the country. Austria is probably crippled if he doesn't gain a center, but Turkey and England for instance can get out of a situation like that if they play their diplomatic cards right.
Tortellacci

Standard rating: 1261
All-game rating: 1478
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Figital » 05 Feb 2019, 15:33

In this thread there is a sticky with 22 hints of the rules.

The SECOND of those is "There can only be one unit in a province at a time". This clearly explains why your moves were unsuccessful. The other 21 hints are ALSO useful to a player who is learning the rules.

The only reason to order 2 units of your own to the SAME space would be to defend that space from an attack from a third unit, whilst still ensuring that your units remain in their current positions. i.e. your 2 units can effectively defend 3 spaces.
Figital

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1014
All-game rating: 1018

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions