Convoy/Retreat Question

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

Convoy/Retreat Question

Postby caesarsalad » 21 Jan 2018, 02:52

Hi all,

Quick question I've never considered before, and which may seem stupid--let's say this happened:

A(Nap)-Tun
F(Ion) conv ^

BUT that fleet is dislodged. Tun is left untouched otherwise. Can that fleet still retreat to Tun? The failed convoy doesn't count as a "bounce" or whatever for those purposes, is that correct?

Thanks!
caesarsalad

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1381)
All-game rating: (1378)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Convoy/Retreat Question

Postby ExiledAtHome » 21 Jan 2018, 03:28

This is a good question.

My instinct tells me that since Naples didn't actually bounce in Tunis, because the convoying fleet didn't actually even get to attempt to offload the army in Tunis before being overwhelmed and forced to retreat, that Ionian Sea could retreat to Tunis.

But this is just the logical explanation; I don't know how the site would actually adjudicate it.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)

Postby Machiara » 21 Jan 2018, 03:40

This is correct. The fleet is dislodged so the army never moves to Tunis. If it had--since Tunis is untouched--it would be in Tunis.

But it isn't, because it the dislodged fleet never convoyed it there. So the dislodged fleet may retreat to Tunis in safety.
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Machiara
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1961
All-game rating: 1992
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby caesarsalad » 21 Jan 2018, 16:06

Thanks guys!
caesarsalad

Standard rating: (1381)
All-game rating: (1378)

Postby Nibbler » 22 Jan 2018, 19:37

Unless the fleet was dislodged from Tunis, in which case it can't retreat there, of course. (But you knew that.)
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Across the Board Diplomacy Blog and Site (always looking for contributions!)
Nibbler

Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Rules Questions