22 Rules to Help You Resolve Orders

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

Re: 22 Rules to Help You Resolve Orders

Postby super_dipsy » 15 Jun 2014, 08:32

petermcnamara wrote:I don't think that this is very well known, but there is an online adjudicator at Stabbeurfou http://www.stabbeurfou.org/Interrogation.php where any set of moves can be adjucated (maybe this fact could be advertised somewhere).

Good suggestion; another is JDip. However, it is worth remembering that these tools may not give the same result as PlayDip does - some tools do not handle all the rules properly, and there are also possible differences in the ways the rules are handled where they are silent / ambiguous. Our PlayDip resolution of the latter set of cases (the ones where the rules do not cope or we deviate from them) can be found here http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=646&t=41661.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby rommel360 » 17 Nov 2015, 01:01

Hi, so not exactly related, but fleets still confuse me. Can navies take regions? For example can a navy in the Gulf of Bothnia take Sweden? Or can it only be done in the Baltic or Skagerrak? Or not at all? Any clarification would be appreciated.
"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."
-John F Kennedy
rommel360

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby WHSeward » 17 Nov 2015, 01:03

Fleets can move to any adjacent coastal province and can capture SCs in coastal provinces by occupying them at the end of a fall turn.

The answer is, yes, F GoB can move to Swe as could F Ska or F Bal.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby appleseedy » 17 Aug 2016, 18:51

Is it correct that you cant force a retreat on your own unit?

Example England has as fleet in the north sea Edinburgh and London

Nrt Hold
Lon - Nrt
Edi support Lon - Nrt

will the North sea retreat or will it bounce the attack?
Palladium member of the classicists
appleseedy

Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1184)

Postby WHSeward » 17 Aug 2016, 19:32

That is correct. You cannot dislodge your own unit, nor may you cut your own support. If you attempt to dislodge your own unit, the move is a bounce. (That is not to say that attacking your own unit is pointless. It can be a smart defensive tactic.)
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby WiseJazzer » 03 Oct 2016, 19:45

This is very helpful, however I still have this question:

Can I counter or avoid my enemies from cutting my own support?

Say I am Turkey and have armies in Ukr, Sev, Bul, and Con, and a fleet in Black sea. I order Ukr A to Rum, and support it from Sev, Bul and Black sea.
My enemy has armies in Rum, Bud, Ser and Gre. I can expect he will hold Rum and support hold with Bud and Ser.
With that I would succeed in my move as it would be 4 vs 3. But I can expect he will cut support from Gre A to Bul.

My question is can I avoid my support being cut with my army in Con? Will support still be cut if I order Con support hold to Bul? Will support still be cut if I order Con to move to Bul?

Thanks
WiseJazzer

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (970)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby super_dipsy » 03 Oct 2016, 20:45

Support is ALWAYS cut if you are attacked from any location other than the one you are supporting into. It does not even matter if the attacker is dislodged by another attack; the mere act of the attack is enough.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby WiseJazzer » 03 Oct 2016, 20:52

Very well then. Thanks
WiseJazzer