How does a draw work?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

How does a draw work?

Postby SirMaru » 25 Jan 2009, 22:27

In my latest Live game: Live, Speed, 3 hours-25-Jan-2009-1630 UTC, a draw was proposed as follows:

Draw proposal from GERMANY
(Spring 1906 Orders)
Draw expires on: Fall 1906
For ENGLAND, FRANCE
Draw status:
ENGLAND no response
FRANCE accepted
ITALY no response
GERMANY accepted
AUSTRIA no response
RUSSIA rejected

I never even knew the draw was proposed. At the bottom of my Statistics screen it shows that only three players can receive a draw proposal. We still have 6 players in the game. Is a draw even possible with 6 still alive? Are the requested 3 players automatically notified or must they be notified separately by messages?
Sir Maru
SirMaru

All-game rating: 6052
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: How does a draw work?

Postby Diplomat » 25 Jan 2009, 22:38

A draw can be offered for up to 4 players and can occur while all 7 players are still alive. A draw is for only those players that are included in the text of the draw, but it has to be accepted by all remaining players to go into effect. If any of the remaining players reject the draw it is voided. The site does not allow DIAS draws, not really, and a draw is primarily for purposes of points allocation, everyone in the draw gets an equal share of the 12 rank points that would have been awarded for a solo. Any player, even on in the draw, can reject the draw. If no one rejects, but not everyone accepts, the draw offer will eventually expire after 2 full turns. Finally all players should get notice of the draw when they log into the game, the stats tab goes Red and, when they click it, the draw proposal is there.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby rick.leeds » 25 Jan 2009, 23:20

That's the key in the live game - look for the statistics to go red and if you know there is a draw proposal coming and it isn't read use F5 button to refresh. I was told on Sat night that I was last one to accept the draw proposal and my stats tab was still white. Refreshing sorted it tho.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby SirMaru » 26 Jan 2009, 00:22

What is a "DIAS" draw? If other players outside of the text who received the Draw Proposal, refuse and the draw is cancelled, then any of the live players can force the leading players to wipe them out to finish the game? Is that true?

Thus, only four players maximum can share in the draw. If they are unable to wipe out the other players, then the game could last in perpetuity?

I looked on my Statistics Pane and noticed no place to accept or reject the Draw. There was a place to Propose a Draw to a limit of 3 other players. However, I noticed another player rejected the prior Draw offer. Did that cancel it and end my possibility to vote for or against it?
Sir Maru
SirMaru

All-game rating: 6052
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 26 Jan 2009, 02:05

Yes, if any player refuses the draw s/he is effectively forcing the others to eliminate him/her.

Usually the players who are nominated to win via the draw are the SC leaders so the chances of the other players being able to stop them winning as a unit is slight. More likely is that the draw would be proposed because:

A - there is an effective stalemate, with neither side able to break through and take sufficient SCs to win, or
B - one alliance is in a position to win no matter what the opposition does.

In both cases there is no reason to delay the end of the game and a draw is a reasonable solution.

As for a DIAS draw I've never heard of it!
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jmcbride » 26 Jan 2009, 02:08

DIAS stands for Draw Including All Survivors. I had actually never played with any other sort of draw before playing at this site, and was rather displeased when I accepted a draw without reading carefully and discovered that I was not included in it! Also, I believe that in at least one version of the rules for the actual board game, it stated that a draw includes all survivors.
jmcbride

All-game rating: 518

Postby Diplomat » 26 Jan 2009, 02:37

The rulebook indeed states DIAS is the only non solo resolution, but for online it is a bit impractical given the choice to allow ranking points for draws. For purposes of the site it is one of the house rules, also mentioned in the book, allowing games to resolve that way.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions